Amazing!

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sitting in a lovely Country House having a beer.Their dishwasher is broken. Engineer arrived. 60 second look said he needed his tools. Back in with hammer and a screwdriver!

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Can you hear banging, industrial language or worse; the sound of air being sucked through teeth?
mel

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
So 1 lb claw hammer and a small GS, it's just a temporay fix.
PS , is that the pub opposite the site and is the pub dog friendly?

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I travelled down from Newcastle to Great Yarmouth, many years ago, it took longer to get from the A1, at Grantham to get to Great Yarmouth than the rest of the trip. .

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
It takes me as long to get here as it does to the Scottish Borders! I think he was a local as it was a left handed screw driver.

Reactions: Parksy
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A Bedford CA van in our case.
They'd abolished the man walking with the red flag, but old Bertha with her 3 speed column change wasn't much quicker
The name Bedford brings back memories. In the mid 1960s a group of us apprentices used to go out around Loughborough for drinks on a Friday. One lad had use of his Dads cammpervan and 6-8 of us would pile in. It was like the one in the picture below.

Not very fast and a narrow boat would steer better.

36077005194_0fbf714d61.jpg

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Dad's first CA was a split screen van, no side windows, no seats in the back and hand painted with grey tekaloid paint.
When we undertook our annual pilgrimage to Caister on Sea we travelled overnight with us kids lying on top of a mountain of camping gear in the back.
Our fortnight holiday was spent in a large tent, communal living at it's most basic 😁

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dad's first CA was a split screen van, no side windows, no seats in the back and hand painted with grey tekaloid paint.
When we undertook our annual pilgrimage to Caister on Sea we travelled overnight with us kids lying on top of a mountain of camping gear in the back.
Our fortnight holiday was spent in a large tent, communal living at it's most basic 😁

But it was great fun wasn't it, and created everlasting memories.

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
My uncle used to have one of those Bedfords.No windows in the back....just a van.
He grew parsley and used to take it to a market in Evesham every week.
Ah....memories.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Sounds about right for the time, we all have these kind of memories when life was more 'basic' but definitely more fun and memorable.

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Sitting in a lovely Country House having a beer.Their dishwasher is broken. Engineer arrived. 60 second look said he needed his tools. Back in with hammer and a screwdriver!
My son is a park home manager and called out a plumber to fix a washing machine , After a while of doing nothing my son said why don't you fit a new stop valve , the guy replied do not carry them so will have to send off for one. Lucky or unlucky my son gave him one and told him how to fit it !.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Sounds about right for the time, we all have these kind of memories when life was more 'basic' but definitely more fun and memorable.

I had a battered up over worked works CA van supplied to me around 1972.

3 speed column change. I was coming out of Liverpool at rush hour. Inside lane at lights ready to turn left. An Atlantean bus (new type then, doors at front). Pulled up next to me in readiness to go straight on.

Lights went green. I tried to put it in first. The gear lever came off in my hand. I just stared at the lever in disbelief. I then looked over at the bus driver. He found it that funny that he could not even drive the bus. He had to wait for the next green. By then I had realised there was a small stub left so I could just manage to get it to engage.

John

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts