another bad experience of caravan club I am afraid

Page 3 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 25, 2006
Visit site
We almost exclusively use CC sites now, for cleanliness, space,location and (usually) wardens they are hard to beat. I`m not saying they are particularly cheap, but certainly not as expensive as many `commercial` sites.

As in all walks of life, there are a few obnoxious individuals who believe they own the places, but they are few and far between.

Generally, the standard of behaviour is very good, and I would probably be happier pitched there than alongside some of the posters on this site.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Worst case scenario, arrive on site (CC) to find the majority of the site occupied by (comment about other forum members removed), picture the scene: all running amok venting there spleen at each other, kids pulling wheelies on there bikes on everyone's pitch bar there own, mains plug being plugged in to the bollard only to be swiftly pulled out by another camper proclaiming it to be his hook up as it is closer to his caravan, to be repeated several times until the plug falls off, mum & dad walking across every pitch wily nily, noses pressed up at windows blowing raspberries at the occupants, car and caravan complete with awning still attached chasing after the warden threatening to do him a mischief if he dares to tell him to move once more, and don't forget to duck as the flying axe comes whizzing past , wardens and assistant wardens all wearing dark glasses from previous encounters, and echoing all over the site, oy wot you looking at!,

Mmmmmmm sheer bliss.

Just a bit of light hearted humour

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Arriving at CC sites on a number of occasions to find numerous empty pitches when the site has been deemed full wardens have expressed varying levels of annoyance re no shows and no contact from those who have booked the pitches.

No doubt these numerous kind hearted CC members are ficticious and really the CC does not want full sites so lies about the bookings ;-)

We have never had any reason to complain about children on CC sites, but it would seem that queerying minority behaviour is frowned upon here.

(Comment about another forum member removed)

Caravanning for us is our chosen escape for a relaxing weekend, week or month away from our hectic every day professions, we are long time members of the CC and on the whole happy with membership. We have little interst in others on site apart from a general interest in outfits and we have made a number of friends on sites. We all pay the same membership fee and for that we expect equal treatment and respect from the club and fellow members sadly at odd times that has not been the case, the minor annoyances spoil the experience but are occasional experiences and we would not still be members if that was not the case.

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
We have been CC members for many years, and have not, until now, come across this sort of behaviour on site.

I will relay an incident experienced at the Henley on Thames site, where we had booked a one night stop over en route to Cornwall, at the beginning of October.

We arrived at about 5pm, and were directed to a disabled pitch, which was vacant, (we are not disabled BTW) close to the exit.

The residents of the next pitch, immediately, as soon as we had sited the caravan, pulled their shutters down. I don't know whether they thought we were looking in their windows, rest assured, we were not, and regarded their behaviour as extremely unfriendly!:O(

We sited our caravan, according to the peg, and parked the car on the door side of the 'van, thus leaving a car space on the other side of the pitch. We cooked ourselves an evening meal, and then decided to wash up. Lo and behold, a woman, from the pitch behind us, walked 12 inches away from my kitchen window, with a bowl full of washing up. Being slightly startled by her, I called out "excuse me"! Of course she did not react, and I watched her return to her pitch, this time walking across the grass!!!

As I have said, this was a one off, and we would certainly not have made a fuss. We respect the privacy of others, and, if they choose not to speak, it's OK by us!

May 11, 2011
Visit site
sorry Madelaine, your wit beats me. What caused so much frivolity in the comment. I await your explanation in more detail
Hi Philip

Obviously you dont have the same sense of humer that a lot of us do (read Pats comments too)

but Im a great advocat of "each to his own"

Enjoy the forum and the rest of your day

Regards Madeleine

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its difficult at times

We would possibly pull up the blind so as to avoid people thinking that we were "watching" them

It can feel like that when vans are parked in rows especially when HRH gives commentry on what is going on outside!!

I find it annoying when people walk so close to the van and sometimes put up the canopy to mark out the territory so to speak

We were having a nap on one site when two groups of friends met and greeted each other loudly on our pitch.We were parked side on and they approached from both sides to meet by the tow hitch in the we own the world mode

The same people on a trip in France removed table cloths set for lunch in a restaurant because they wanted morning coffee and the tables were set

There is no hope with some people but by and large most people are decent and show respect

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
Its difficult at times

We would possibly pull up the blind so as to avoid people thinking that we were "watching" them

It can feel like that when vans are parked in rows especially when HRH gives commentry on what is going on outside!!

I find it annoying when people walk so close to the van and sometimes put up the canopy to mark out the territory so to speak

We were having a nap on one site when two groups of friends met and greeted each other loudly on our pitch.We were parked side on and they approached from both sides to meet by the tow hitch in the we own the world mode

The same people on a trip in France removed table cloths set for lunch in a restaurant because they wanted morning coffee and the tables were set

There is no hope with some people but by and large most people are decent and show respect
In hindsight, you can understand those who mark out their pitch with windbreaks! Not something we do ourselves though!

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Sorry if I said the wrong thing Moderator.

What I posted was that well chosen words can be as, or more rude and insulting than a simple blunt four letter word. This has been ably demonstrated in some posts that can only be termed as personal and retalitory since I and others posted yesterday all though no doubt some may come under the guise as the contibuters humour!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Its difficult at times

Perish the thought but our laurel hedge is very quick growing

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Its difficult at times

Arriving late in darkness with the private site owners consent another caravanner turned his lights off and watched stood on his steps as I found the marker peg and reversed the van and we went quiet as mice through are set-up!

Good morning and simple polite greetings from us and a young motor homing couple were ignored, the mans van was turned across his open pitch so when he came to leave we and the motorhome couple offered to help move the van. The chap was then charm itself and he and his equally quiet wife then gave a tale of there caravanning experiences for over an hour before they left as we sat them down and all had a cuppa.

But I'm still at a loss as to how such a nice couple could just ignore simple greetings and the chap stand and stare for so long.

Using continental commercial sites that have some narrow roads or have been terraced and often have hedged pitches we've always had others run to guide us reversing or help unhitch and turn the caravan. We've had others plug in the hook up for us and been given cool drinks and beers and had food and wine from fellow caravanners after a long hot drive.

Experiences here in the UK are somewhat different at times,manouvering to park the van and putting front wheels on a facing pitch appears to be a No No to some and very many people do not offer help.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Caravanned since 1967 and a CC member for most of that time. Only once have i had any problems as described and that was with the wardens. Arrived when office was cloased for lunch, put card through door as requested, choose pitch (hardstanding) and set up.

Before office reopened, warden challenged my choice of pitch, saying I had taken "his best pitch" and that he "might" want it for a big RV. Asked if any such was actually booked answered "no, but they might". asked why pitch had not been marked in some way as "reserved" replied that they were not allowed to reserve or mark pitches. This is patently untrue as there were pitches near the toilet block with fire buckets on them, which, it appears were reserved for disabled members - an idea with which one can have no quarrel whatsoever, but surely it would be better to mark them specifically.

I told the warden that since he had not marked the pitch and since he had no RVs booked in I intended to stay put, which I duly did. Going to the (now open) office to check in, I was subjected to another tirade by the lady warden along the same lines.

Asked if they were saying I could not have the pitch I was on, neither would come straight out and say "no" only that "we may require that pitch". In the event no RV arrived and there was plenty of room elsewhere on the site.

Had the pitch been marked (regardless of the rules about doing so) or had I been approached in a reasonable manner I would have relocated. As it was, our stay there was marred by the bombastic attitude of the wardens.

There seemed little point in complaining to CC - no witnesses and anyway life is too short. However, we shall be sure to look at the list of warden names in the CC handbook and avoid a repeat performance.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Moderator, I think you are a little of the mark in my previous post Worst case scenario, arrive on site (CC) to find the majority of the site occupied by"comment removed" on this forum picture the scene: all running amok. Now correct me if I am wrong but obnoxious is open to interpretation by each individual, what I or others might find obnoxious, might not necessarily be viewed in the same light as others, it was merely a generalisation to try and lift the mood of a post that was quickly going of track, hence when I signed of with "just a bit of light hearted humour"

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Moderator, I think you are a little of the mark in my previous post Worst case scenario, arrive on site (CC) to find the majority of the site occupied by"comment removed" on this forum picture the scene: all running amok. Now correct me if I am wrong but obnoxious is open to interpretation by each individual, what I or others might find obnoxious, might not necessarily be viewed in the same light as others, it was merely a generalisation to try and lift the mood of a post that was quickly going of track, hence when I signed of with "just a bit of light hearted humour"

With the thread beginning to head downhill with personal abuse I edited out all insulting remarks made about other users. Yours was a generalisation, but it could cause offence to other members.

Jan 8, 2007
Visit site
i'm with you philip,we to are members of the caravan club and the camping and caravan club and have a 5 and 2year old and find many of the caravan club members to be miserable child hating buggers!if you are one of these and are offended ,tough,get back in your coffins and think back to when you had children or were children yourself.

like philip says,he didnt stray on to his neighbours pitch on purpose did he.

i'm looking forward to you all slating me for being an inconsiderate and abusive caravanner,believe me i am not,i am just sick of all you moaners,remember,your on holiday,so shut up and bloody enjoy it.

moan over.

dave

Dec 23, 2005
Visit site
And if we don't get the kids interested in caravanning, who's going to keep it alive in the future when we have all departed the planet?

Martin.

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
Hi Martin,

I never did caravaning as a child and neither did my wife,and we started when the kids had grown and left home and they are now in their late twenties and two of them have vans themselves the third has no interest in vanning.When they have children they may realize that they can have cheaper holidays for the family.

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
I have seen some of the "Old Fogey" attitude a couple of times but never been at the receiving end of their comments. This was not on a CC site so they do use other sites as well. This is supposed to be a family hobby and the attitude some show here do more to put me off mixing with many of the members of the Camping and/or Caravan Clubs. The clique mentality and officiousness of many of the people who impose their opinions or alienate new members only re-enforce the negative stereo types non caravan owners have of the few who spoil our valuable spare time. I work hard and want to relax. If I want to avoid kids I go to a adults only site and if we want to have time with freinds then we go to commercial or CL's which are more relaxed about what we do and what our friends kids can do.

I do think some live up to the stereo type just to spoil others holiday or because they have nothing better to do. I think we all need to look at what is happening even on this forum where we have resorted to personal comments and this needs to be a wake up call to those who have posted comments to either provoke or responded to those comments. If we are getting a reaction like this here then I feel it is a sad state of affairs.

I see less problems in the race track paddock where there are bikes sitting there worth up to

May 18, 2007
Visit site
Rich - well said.I was under the impression that you pay fees for occupying the pitch and the facilties - not to take private ownership of a piece of grass while you are there.

It's about common courtesy and respecting peoples space - ie not walking a foot away from a caravan and looking in.On some sites the pitches are very close together and it can be hard not to cross pitches - especially when you have a car,caravan,awning,wind break and other sundries !!

On another note - we were on a site which we have been too 4 or 5 times.This site is prone to having standing water and flooding due to inadequate drainage.During the floods of July last year I was "spoken" too by a CC warden who said " I would like to talk to you about how you drive onto your pitch" He then went on to tell me that I had destroyed the grass which he had spent months maintaining.I had,by mistake,put one wheel onto a piece of grass which had caused mud to appear through the already sodden grass !!If he had mentioned to me to be careful I wouldn't have minded but it was his attitude towards me.He actually saw us enter the site and proceeded to walk all acroos the site to reprimand me.

I bit my tongue and said that it was not ruined and turned away.

This CC warden is our only bad encounter but I am sure others have had similar treatment.

Thought of the day - look in the CC magazine and look at the wardens Q & A section - "what annoys you about members ?"

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts