another bad experience of caravan club I am afraid

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 30, 2007
Visit site
Could not agree more.

If you do not like what is happening around you then take the appropriate steps to change.

With us, the adult only sites have rejuvenated our enjoyment of caravanning. We are not miserable of f*rts - far from it but we have had our kids and want a bit of peace when we go away.

But for some this attitude of ours is so wrong they get quite upset at us for even suggesting adult only sites as a viable option for some.

If we all respected others as much as we expect others to respect us - I doubt there would be an issue.

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Having been directed to the wrong pitch used by a regular due later that day we were asked to move Caravan and Awning by a Warden. Polite answer was "no", having been unable to get on to a CC pitch due to others block booking months ahead, and then getting a site by chance due to regulars no show. Moving for the wardens pals is not in my game plan having also set-up Awning and Water supply.

"You'll have to move it" my rerponse "if it that important you will not mind moving it for me"

I to was challenged for SLIGHTLY cutting the corner on to a pitch as it was easier to pull two Aqua rolls on the grass than on the terrible gravel, no where near sited caravan or Awning but drew rude comment from husband and wife owners. A polite "---- off" did the trick.

Having been told to run EHU cable along the base of a hedge behind two caravans I then got asked why I had not asked permission of the two pitch "OWWERS" as they arrived back. Polite smile followed by "---- off" did the trick.

We pay our memebership to CC but can rarely get a pitch as the CC weekend mafia block book the sites.

I don't usually swear at people but find the attitude of some CC members far more offensive than a four letter word.

At Rippon the couple next to us with four charming well mannered children who only played in the games room and play area had to endure the evil stares of other members as they to and frowed to their pitch.

Some looks given on CC sites are down right rude at times, as is the habit of regulars who interupt conversations with wardens as they seem to think they have a right or some higher level of membership.

We go away for a quiet weekend when time allows and don't have time to debate over petty things like plugging in or treading on the corner of a pitch at the odd time.

Medium height hedges that border a pitch and a offer little more privacy for the money paid to the non profit CC is long overdue and would help cut some of the petty squabling and over nosy rather than curious behaviour on CC sites.

Feb 3, 2006
Visit site
If as you say, you did report back to the warden which pitch you had taken, and he in turn failed to tell you it was already taken, I think I too would have refused to move if I had put up an awning.

On the other hand, as you say that your last topic posting was deleted by the moderator, do I think that maybe you are deliberately trying to stir up similar responses this time. In all the stays I have had, I have never once had an argument with a neighbour about stepping on my pitch nor have I been asked to move from a pitch as it was someone else's.

Basically most members respect others right to peace and quiet and the right to enjoy their hobby and holiday as they please.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I have to say I'm utterly amazed at some of the things being mentioned here.

Whilst I may be a relative novice (as an Adult I've either Motorhomed or Caravanned for about 4-5 years , but most of my youth was spent motorhoming across the UK and europe) I've never witnessed any of these problems people are referring to.

I've generally used CC sites , although this year we've used a couple of CCC sites. I've either been given a site plan with highlighted pitches available , or in the case of CCC been actually taken to the site.

I've always found the people in surround pitches to be very friendly and always passed the time of day.

(I have 2 large dogs , a small child , a new van and a new 4x4 so instantly , according to items on this forum , I'm disliked by many!!!!)

I've only once experience people walking across the pitch and that was partly due to it being a very busy weekend and next to a water point. Which I accepted as I'd booked late.

Where are people staying that get these reactions?

Am I being naieve or something?

Aug 6, 2005
Visit site
I've been reading this thread, jaw dropping open in amazement. As Roger says, where are you going to meet such dreadful people? Maybe I just don't notice things, but I'm completely unaware of any evil stares, nasty remarks or anything staying on CC sites over the last two years. Maybe be watching two children happily playing nearby (I was enjoying watching them play their games) may be misinterpreted by over sensetive parents. I don't know how I would feel about people walking across my pitch, not happy I suspect, but it hasn't happened yet. Am, I just lucky or have a couple of folks just had a bad run. I don't think I would have resorted to swearing though, perhaps a polite enquiry as to what I had done wrong. So far we have been on friendly terms with all of our "neighbours"

Gill

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Hi Folks,

Correct me if i'm wrong but I can't see anywhere in the site rules where it say's "Members must not walk anywhere near another members caravan"

SEASONAL AND BASE PITCHES TERMS AND CONDITIONS 2007

SEASONAL & BASE PITCHES TERMS & CONDITIONS 2007

1 DEFINITIONS

1.1 The following definitions shall apply in this document:

'Base Pitch' means a Seasonal Pitch available for hire for a 12-month period, subject to The Club Terms

and Conditions;

Caravan' means a touring caravan, motor caravan or trailer tent;

'Club' means The Caravan Club Limited, whose registered number is 646027, and whose

registered office is at Rotherwick House, 3 Thomas More Street, London E1W 1YX;

'Club Bye-Laws' means the document entitled 'Club Bye-Laws' which can be found in the Sites Directory &

Handbook and on The Club website at www.caravanclub.co.uk;

'Club Terms and Conditions' means:

(i) these Seasonal and Base Pitches Terms and Conditions 2007;

(ii) The Club Bye-Laws;

(iii) the Site Rules;

(iv) the Caravan Code, which can be found in the Sites Directory & Handbook and on The

Club website at www.caravanclub.co.uk; and

(v) the Country Code, which can be found in the Sites Directory & Handbook and on The

Club website at www.caravanclub.co.uk;

'Family Member' means a family member, as defined in The Club Bye-Laws;

'Joint Member' means a joint member, as defined in The Club Bye-Laws;

'Member' means a member of The Club, as defined in The Club Bye-Laws;

'Outfit' means a caravan and towing vehicle, trailer tent and towing vehicle or a motor caravan;

'Pitch' means a demarcated area of a Site, for location of an Outfit for recreational purposes as

permitted by The Club Terms and Conditions;

'Seasonal Pitch' means a Pitch made available by The Club to Members for hire for a specified period,

subject to The Club Terms and Conditions;

'Site' means a location for use as a caravan site operated by The Club which may contain Base

and/or Seasonal Pitches;

'Site Rules' means the document entitled 'Site Rules', which is published in the Sites Directory &

Handbook and on The Club website at www.caravanclub.co.uk; and

'Warden' means the warden of a Site.

2 APPLICATION OF TERMS AND CONDITIONS

2.1 The Club Terms and Conditions apply to all Members who hire a Seasonal or Base Pitch.

3 PURPOSE

3.1 The Club is a recreational club for touring caravanners. Seasonal and Base Pitches are a concessional facility for Members who wish to

make use of their Outfits on specific Sites, but who are either unable or unwilling to tow them to and from those Sites at frequent intervals.

3.2 Seasonal and Base Pitches are therefore available for recreational purposes only.

4 ALLOCATION OF PITCHES

4.1 Subject to paragraph 4.2, Members may select a Seasonal Pitch or Base Pitch, as the case may be, from those not occupied at the time they

bring their Outfit to the Site.

4.2 In the event of any dispute relating to a Seasonal Pitch or Base Pitch allocation, or where Member selection of a Seasonal Pitch or Base

Pitch is not possible due to the requirements of a particular Site or on particular occasions, the Warden will allocate Seasonal Pitches or

Base Pitches, as the case may be.

4.3 The provisions of this paragraph 4 will apply the first time the Outfit is brought to the Site and each time thereafter.There is no guarantee

that a Pitch selected by or allocated to a Member at a Site on one occasion will be available to that Member on any future occasion or

occasions, including after a tow-off period.

5 USE OF CARAVANS ON SITE

5.1 Sites are for recreational purposes, NOT residential purposes. When on Site, the Caravan may therefore be occupied for recreational

purposes only.

5.2 The Caravan may be occupied for a maximum of 21 nights for any one visit. After any one visit of 21 successive nights the Member and

any other persons staying in the Caravan must vacate the Caravan and the Site and there must be an interval of not less than 48 hours

before a return visit to the Caravan.

6 TOWING OFF

6.1 Members are required to remove their Caravans from the Site at regular intervals:

Base Pitch: Members must tow off twice during the period of l April to 31 October 2007 for at least two separate 24-hour periods,

with a period of at least 28 nights between each separate 24-hour tow-off period; and

Seasonal Pitch: Members must tow off once during the period of 31 May to 1 September 2007 for at least one 24-hour period.

6.2 Any Member who has failed to satisfy the relevant towing off condition by the relevant time or for the relevant period will be notified in

writing of such and requested to tow off within 48 hours. Failure to do so will be considered to be a breach of The Club Terms and

Conditions and as such The Club is entitled to terminate the hire of the Seasonal or Base Pitch and require the Member to remove their

Outfit immediately. In such circumstances the Member will not be entitled to a refund.

7 PITCH USE AND MAINTENANCE

Storage

7.1 Nothing may be stored beneath the Outfit.

7.2 Pitches should be kept as clean and tidy as possible at all times. Assessment of the cleanliness and tidiness of a Pitch will be at the

Warden's discretion, to be exercised reasonably. Any uncleanliness or untidiness will be notified to the relevant Member and a reasonable

period allowed for such to be remedied. Any borderline cases or dispute relating to cleanliness and tidiness of the Pitch will be dealt with in

accordance with The Club's complaints procedure, which is set out in The Club Bye-Laws/Site Rules.

Gardens

7.3 Nothing may be planted or grown on or in the vicinity of any Seasonal or Base Pitch.

Gas Bottles

7.4 For safety reasons, only gas bottles that fit in the Caravan gas locker are permitted when the Member is not on Site.

Electric Hook-up

7.5 Seasonal Pitch agreements may include electric hook-up facilities. Where an electric hook-up is not available on a Seasonal Pitch a

Member may, subject to availability, book an EHU touring pitch, and move to it, incurring the full touring pitch fee and per capita charges

applicable to that touring pitch (in addition to the fees payable for the Seasonal Pitch).

7.6 When the Outfit is not occupied the electric hook-up must be disconnected and the electric cable stored.

Awnings

7.7 Awnings may be erected, but for safety purposes all awnings must be dismantled when the Member leaves the Site at the end of a visit.

7.8 To preserve the grass, in accordance with Site Rules, groundsheets and side flaps of tents and awnings must be raised at regular intervals

and/or as reasonably requested by the Warden.

7.9 Members must take reasonable care not to cause damage to grass by use of awnings or other external items of a Member's Outfit.

Cars

7.10 A car may only be left at a Site when a Caravan sited on a Seasonal Pitch is occupied. Visitors to the Site may leave their cars in the

Visitors' car park in accordance with the Site Rules.

7.11 The parking of cars during periods of Caravan occupation shall be in accordance with the Site Rules.

8 MOVEMENT OF OUTFITS

8.1 On reasonable notice from the Warden, Members may be required occasionally to move their Outfit due to maintenance and/or

development requirements, including, if required by utility companies, to enable the ground under the Outfit to be 'aired', the grass to grow,

grass cutting to take place and tree maintenance.

8.2 In the event of a hazard or emergency, such as fire, high winds, flooding or water logging, the Warden may need to move or arrange for the

Outfit to be moved immediately to another area or Pitch on the same Site or off the Site.In such circumstances, the Warden will, if possible,

give the Member as much notice of such requirement as possible.

8.3 Once the maintenance and/or development requirements have been satisfied or completed or there is no longer a hazard or emergency, the

Member will be entitled to return the Outfit, where possible, to the original Pitch. Where this is not possible, the Member will be required

to move the Outfit to another Pitch, as comparable to the original Pitch as possible. Please see paragraph 12 in relation to refunds.

8.4 Wheels must not be removed from the Outfit.

9 STANDARD OF OUTFIT

9.1 In order to maintain visual standards, only Outfits in a good state of repair and condition, adequately maintained and clean, will be allowed

into and to remain on the Site.

Bit sad realy

Graham (Ponty)
Why on earth quote all that?

Especially when it refers to seasonal pitches - not touring pitches.

Life's too short to read such long posts that have no original thought to them

Aug 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Darce, Adults only are also a firm favourite of ours, but did not wish to mention it for fear of opening up another can of worms. :)

I know the feeling! - How amazing that on a caravan forum you find yourself second guessing what the "Thought Police" might attack you on.

Sign of the times though it seems to me.

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
My first experience of CC site was at a site near Scarborough. I was the "another stupid idiot" who took the turning before the one for the site, accessible by car but not with caravan! Told by a friendly house holder who guided my reverse manouvre that iw as one of many every week. But "another stupid idiot" to some friendly CC regulars.

Filling my Aquaroll I was included in a conversation that turned to " what kind of idiots tows that" as a Volvo 4x4 left a pitch with a new Senator Twin Axle. Thinking my fellow campers had a problem with Bailey's I was corrected as their moaning was about the size of the caravan. I politely pointed out that I had the same size caravan, end of conversation!

When we can get on a CC site generally it is a good experience, we are curious about other caravans and tow cars, but find some behaviour to intrusive.

We also have shared experiences with other large twin axle caravan owners on CC sites with overly loud rude comment re manouvering our caravans and have also come across the Porch Awning Clones! Using a full Awning when the wife and I escape without our boys has also drawn adverse CC site comment!

As per Philips comment, there is still a stuffy feel with some CC members. Definitive "THEM AND US" behaviour!

Rude pointed ignorant deroagatory comments made just within earshot do not warrant polite debate! A polite broad smile followed by ---- --- passes the pointed message.

Aug 30, 2007
Visit site
I too just do not recognise any "incident" outlined above as representative of ANY site we have used, CC or otherwise.

In fact I would say the only bolshyness I have EVER experienced re Caravanning is on this Forum!

Representative of the good natured friendliness, helpfulness and camaraderie this Forum most certainly is NOT!

I can only think that much of the problems outlined between caravanners is some kind of wind up by non-caravanners. As Allan & Gill and myself indicated above - if you want peace away from the bustle of kids etc. then there are plenty of options.

In my experience kids are the only ones in their excitement and joy of being on holiday that actually invade your pitch. And yes I am sorry but I find this annoying. It is my problem so I go to Adult only sites with the rest of us Grey Hairs and I now enjoy caravanning far more than I ever did.

Because in over 45 years of camping ranging from a pup tent when a student camping all over the UK and Europe, right up to the present day with a TA fixed bed "Gin Palace" on wheels, we have NEVER experienced the like of that described here.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Wholeheartedly agree with you Darce, we have no gripes with kids whatsoever, having three of our own + grandchildren, but we do love the peace and tranquillity that adult only sites bring. After all you reap what you sow, and in many many instances you will find it the fault of the parents, but now I am going off topic so I had best shut up before someone swears at me!

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
As a paid up memeber of CC this was exactly what we have sadly experienced, it is not the whoile CC site scenario but the unfortunate behaviour.

I have not described weekend long or week long behaviour, just the sad behaviou of a minority of CC members.

The EHU experince was at Hargill house at the bottom of the site, and if you check out the site near Scarborougfh you will find that approaching from Scarborough over a bridge there is a right turn through a central reservation prior to the sites turn. I seem to remember it just over a bridge!

(Comment about another forum member removed)

I never mentioned having to ask permission to run my cable, I did what the warden requested and was then challenged by two middle aged CC regulars who seemed to think they owned the site as they pulled up in their cars returning from a day out !

(Comment about another forum member removed)

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Jazman. do not waste your breath.

There is one on here who knows a lot about printing lies,he must have thought your post was his. dont worry about it,and please carry on posting..

Well thats my opinion anyway....

May 7, 2007
Visit site
Why on earth quote all that?

Especially when it refers to seasonal pitches - not touring pitches.

Life's too short to read such long posts that have no original thought to them
Hi Kathleen,

It also says "BASE" pitches which are touring pitches.

Graham (Ponty)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Danny, caravan club sites are fine, just the same as any other caravan park. As I have got older I have learned to be a lot more open minded, no matter what your chosen hobby you will always find people you do not see eye to eye with, the same applies at work, in the pub, out shopping etc. when we go away in the caravan we go for "us" to enjoy the scenery, the local area, the site and it's facelites, the local pub, good food etc, the attitude or lack of it from other campers has little or no bearing on the enjoyment we derive from our time away in the caravan. If other campers wish to engage in social conversation, then I am more than willing to join in, and I always make a point of exchanging the customary good morning, nice weather etc. if some one chooses to ignore me then that saves me the bother of replying to them. The point I am trying to make is that we go caravanning for us and not other people, and while ever we derive enjoyment from it, will carry on doing so, but as I said previously once it becomes an annoyance, and I have to take pen to paper so as to speak, then will be the time to exit our hobby.

May 7, 2007
Visit site
I hope this topic is not going to result in any unpleasantness like so many other topics on this forum have in the past. So far it's been pretty good lets keep it that way.

Everbody is entitled to an opinion, myself like Philip, and Jasman, along with others have experenced some form of unpleasanness on a CC site, and from my point of view was the reason I did not renew my membership subscription when it was due for renewal six years ago.

Graham (Ponty)

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
I can honestly say the only inconsiderate or rude action I have had from any caravanner was someone unplugging my hook up because they had blown theirs on return from the pub.

That was on a commercial site and I believe they were inexperienced 'vanners - not excusable though.

I think if you go out looking for or expecting rude looks or stares than that is what you will get.

Dec 23, 2005
Visit site
I must admit that I haven't come across any 'problems' on a Caravan Club site as yet. When walking to the toilet block or around the site, I will always say hello. But as previously mentioned, some people don't want to talk and that's fine with me.

At Longleat this year, I had to use an EHU from a neighbouring pitch as the others were being used. A Dutch caravanner came onto the next pitch and asked me politely if I could change bollards as his cable would not reach. No problems there.

Jazman,

I know what you mean about the turning that takes you up to the West Ayton site. The first time we went to the site last year, I missed the turning completely and ended up reversing the van into a side road in a village about 4 miles further up the road!

Martin.

Jul 11, 2005
Visit site
We find that Adults Only sites are best if you want to avoid other people's kids. If not CC sites.

Sorry but thats how we see it.

I wish we could get away from kids and dogs, but that is to much to ask.

Edd

Oct 28, 2005
Visit site
I have read this post from start to finish.

I am confused by some of the comments. I am not sure if the MOD has removed any or are the CC sites such a bad place to go?

I don't see a problem with people walking past other pitches. I am not sure why you need to ask others if you are plugging in to a post either? Am I getting the wrong end of the stick? Abuse from others on a site is not acceptable no matter how close they pass your van or if they have to do something else which "you" don't like.

I am not saying I would be rude to others but I would not go to a site where I faced issues like the ones mentioned. I am a CC member and so far we have only stopped at CL's. No problems there. But if I feel strongly I would use other clubs like C&CC or just use sites which are ones like adults only. There are other things we can do.

I know our vans cost money and damage is not what we want. But there is a level of tolerance which we should all have. It does seem some here have it and some do not.

Aug 30, 2007
Visit site
I think the majority of people would agree that most caravanners are a great lot - willing to help one another and sort any problem out.

I know we were grateful of the help offered by others when we first started after years under canvas.

I have never experienced anything like what some on here suggest is the norm for CC members.

Still say it sounds like a wind up to me.

And if anyone has any doubts about the CC - I have just spent a pleasant evening reading the magazine. Though any pleasure was marred by the report on the death of a 4 year old, Benjamin Blezard at the CC club Rowntree site in August this year.

The report sets out the tragedy in simple terms.

The Health & Safety Executive have concluded that it was freak accident. For those not members of the CC it seems that the lad rode his bike out from a footpath were he had every right to be onto a road at exactly the time a car an caravan were passing. He went between the car and the caravan and was killed.

No one was to blame

But the H&S executive are to make some recommendations re how footpaths adjoin roadways. Seems sensible to me.

My point is that to me this sensitive coverage is a mature and sensible response to what happened.

Compared to the ridiculous petulant & puerile moans and groans about what may or may not have happened on a CC site, I think the CC comes way out on top.

I personally think the CC does an excellent job in representing me and my family as caravanners.

The published "Letter of the month" on emissions is a gem.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts