Another Problem with Thetford Fridge?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have a thetford fridge in our 2007 Abbey Gts 418.

When we connect up to the caravan whilst towing and put our fridge on, a 3amp fuse blows in the mains power unit (zig unit).

This fuse knocks the fridge off and the 1st entry light into the caravan until the fuse gets changed AGAIN.

This have been going on since September last year and it still keeps blowing, our car have been checked and that,s fine.

We were told by our dealership in January that it might be a relay which they didn,t change.

When they had the van back in this year they couldn,t make the fuse blow and it seemed fine but when we towed it back the fuse blew again.

We have been told to switch the button down for van whilst towing in the mains unit so the fridge is on and the caravan battery is being charged on route.

Are we doing anything wrong? or has anyone else came across this problem too, this is our 3rd van so we aren,t novices.

We are going out again this weekend, as the dealership is really busy and we can,t get it fixed yet.

Any help or advice would be appreciated Sue

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Sue

When the dealer checked the system, how did they do it?

Did they connect to a cars tow plug, with the engine running?

It sounds to me that the 12v fridge element is faulty.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sue

When the dealer checked the system, how did they do it?

Did they connect to a cars tow plug, with the engine running?

It sounds to me that the 12v fridge element is faulty.
Hi Ray, The dealership connected it to one of their van towbars, i don,t know if the engine was running though.

We have tried 2 different tow cars and it still blows so maybe it is the fridge that,s the problem.

I have found info from www.a-tconsulting.co.uk, about faults with thetford 2007/2008 lcd display fridges with problems with their electronics boards had to be replaced.

Thanks for your help Sue

Sep 12, 2019
Visit site
It might be that a higher voltage is coming into the fridge? I have a store where I keep a few display fridges and I had a few broking because of the electric surge. Their accumulator was too weak and maybe not designed to resist at a higher voltage. But when you have cheap equipment, it can break for no reason. Last week I replaced two of them with two Criocabin ERGO ER100-1250-F display fridges from ianboer.com.au. Hopefully, I won't get similar problems anymore.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts