Another Query about EHU

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
I was under the impression that 1 or possibly 2 years ago the rules on camping and caravan sites changed in that the cost of an EHU had to be included in the cost of the pitch unless it was individually metered. However, I know of a site where electric is charged at a separate fee on top of pitch fee per night and wondered if anyone knew whether or not this is now illegal?

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
This seems to suggest that you are right Sheila which is why many sites describe the charges for ehu as a 'service charge' and continue to charge separately for unmetered pitches.

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Sheila
We have a set pitch night price of £10 this includes EHU. should a visitor not require the use of a EHU we charge £9 per night in summer. I would sujest your site operates a simular system.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
David O said:
Sheila
We have a set pitch night price of £10 this includes EHU. should a visitor not require the use of a EHU we charge £9 per night in summer. I would sujest your site operates a simular system.
That suggests to me that you are charging £1 for electric per night, that must be cheap?

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Parksy said:
This seems to suggest that you are right Sheila which is why many sites describe the charges for ehu as a 'service charge' and continue to charge separately for unmetered pitches.
Re sevice charge, returned from C+CC site two weeks ago and for some reason I read the receipt (after we came back) and had actually booked a hardstanding pitch with a 'service charge' said to OH we should have had full water and a waste connection as well so go on there web site and there it is service charge = electric only

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
I've read the article Parksy refers to and also the Ofgem guidance for re-sellers of electricity (effective from 2003 - revised 2005 - believe it or not, doesn't time fly as you get older!!!!)
My concern is that there are still siteowners who are making a separate charge for electricity, in the case of this one I was referring to £3.50 per day (charged from 11 am irrespective of staying the night) for seasonal and £4.00 per day for tourers, advertised on publicity material, and I think the siteowner is opening him/herself up to the possibility of legal problems. Particularly as the Ofgem guidance states that the siteowner must not charge more than the cost of net electric plus 5% VAT irrespective of the business paying 20% and climate levy. The Ofgem guidance also gives examples of how the costs should be worked out and if estimates are more/less than £5 over the year or £2,50 for six months the difference should be levied or refunded.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts