Another Question? RE: Cassette Loo and Chemicals

May 15, 2005
Visit site
hi there, I guess these questions have already been asked but here goes anyway:

We only use our cassette loo at the mo for overnight number 1's. However we are considering using non facilities sites in the future, so then would need to use the Loo for both body functions.

We currently use pink and blue chemical, then after a couple of days use, I simply take the cassette to the disposal point, empty it and then rinse with water. We currently never put Loo roll down the cassette either as a fellow caravanner onsite when we 1st started out last year advised us not too. so we dispose of that seperately using baby nappy bags.

When you do use the cassette loo for both functions, do the blue and pink chemical do the job or do you need to get anything extra or do additional cleaning to keep it clean!!

What do you do when you empty it, again do you simply empty, rinse with water, then add new blue chemical and water?

Also do you put your toilet paper down the loo?

Sorry if this is a dumb question but never realy thought about it before and if we do start using it we don't want to have a dirty, smelly toilet within the caravan.

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Aug 19, 2005
Visit site
Hi Andrew

We use ours as it was intended 1's & 2's. We prefer Fenwicks fluid as it has a less "chemical" smell and does the job of breaking down the waste just as well.

We find Sainsbury's own toilet roll works just as well as the proper Thetford paper, avoid some of the really padded luxury stuff.

We empty every day and use the Thetford tank clean when we leave the site. A drop of Fenwicks mixed with water in the cassette stops any odour whilst not in use.

HTH

Paul

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

The usual blue / pink chemicals are all thats needed but normal loo roll can pile up under the "Hole", special loo roll from the caravan shops is more expensive but disintegrates more easily in the tank and does not form lumps that give splashback when you empty "YUK"

Jul 1, 2006
Visit site
We recently tried some dry toilet additives from Kemdirect. adding half the sachet to the holding tank and the other half to the flush water.

To say I was impressed was an understatement. They had no perfume added, but no smell was evident after a couple of days before emptying. Most impressively all the solids were completely broken down, allowing easy emptying.

Look at www.trail-a-mate.com

and no I don't have any connection, just impressed by new ideas that work.

Feb 4, 2007
Visit site
We used thetford pink and blue from buying our caravan new. After about 8 months we started to get a lot of black bits in the flush water. We then got some sachets of Kemdirect. after two uses no more black bits. I also has no smell an does everything else at least as well as the thetford blue.

As roy says very impressed and I have no connection with them either. We used it in france this year when the temperatures were in the 30s. C ant see us using anything else now.

Colin

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
Roy and Colin, I am so pleased that you are using Kemdirect and you have found it so good and that it does exactly what it says.

Andrew, you should never be worried about putting paper into your chemical toilet in your caravan and if you are using the correct products it should break down without any problems.

It must be very unpleasant to have to put the toilet paper in a bag and then dispose of it...where in a dustbin/ I do not know where I would feel it should go to be safe and healthy.

You should feel happy using all your appliances in your caravan whether it is the sink for washing, the cooker for cooking etc etc and certainly the toilet for using it as you would use the one at home.

When you go to empty it you should rinse out and then add the chemical as instructed and this will mean adding some water to activate it. This will be required with most toilet products.

Empting the toilet should not be a worry or a chore if the correct chemicals are used.

You should never have a dirty smelly caravan (as you stated you may have) if the correct products and procedure is followed.

Happy, sweet, smelling, caravanning !

Joyce

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
What's the Kemdirect product called, please? We've recently thought that the Blue Diamond we currently use doesn't seem to 'work' as well as it used to! We've also had problems with black slime from the toilet flush, and thought Thetford had solved this with the addition of some additive or other (Kemdirect perhaps!!!!) to the pink flush!

We use toilet paper bought in France - and that does dissolve quickly - even if used to blow small children's noses! YUK

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Valerie

The toilet additive is actually called Kemdirect toilet additive and it comes from Holland.

If you go to Hans`s web site www.kemdirect.com you can read all about the product in English and also about his other two products.

If used in the top and the bottom it will stop any black bits ever coming back again and in fact clean out those that are present at the moment.

You should also be able to use most toilet papers and they too will disappear in the solution.

If you go to the web site you could come through to ours and contact me if you wish for more information or just click where in the UK at the top of the web site.

Hope this helps

Joyce

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
We too have a problem with black bacterial growth in the flush tank, it's ridiculous that a toilet flush additive allows this to happen, I'm going to look out for the kemdirect stuff

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Valerie

The toilet additive is actually called Kemdirect toilet additive and it comes from Holland.

If you go to Hans`s web site www.kemdirect.com you can read all about the product in English and also about his other two products.

If used in the top and the bottom it will stop any black bits ever coming back again and in fact clean out those that are present at the moment.

You should also be able to use most toilet papers and they too will disappear in the solution.

If you go to the web site you could come through to ours and contact me if you wish for more information or just click where in the UK at the top of the web site.

Hope this helps

Joyce
Joyce, I emailed you earlier this evening. Would your reply have contained the name Fuller?

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Emmerson

I have sent you an email and I hope that you get in touch tomorrow... well later today!

Garfield... if you wish to contact me I will assist you in obtaining some kemdirect. Just go to the web site I said above and come through to our details from... where in the UK.

Joyce

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Thanks Joyce, will be in touch. I see you've no dealerships in our area - our local Caravan Shop is Dickinsons of Bradford, any plans to 'recruit' them - they are aware of the problems with the toilet 'pink' and so might be interested. Talk to Chris.

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Valerie..Thanks for info about your local dealer.

I will get in touch with Chris, but we find we have resistence fron some toilet companies to supplying dealers and that is why we also do mail order.

There is a tank cleaner to get rid of the black bits problem made by one firm but they would come back again when the pinks were used again..... we do not have that problem.

Look forward to speaking with you...Joyce

G

Just fo information. If anyone is travelling in France they will find the supermarkets stock a toilet fluid which is certainly more fragrant than the rather rough blue fluid. Costs about 8 euros a bottle. It also works extremely well and there is no real need to add the pink either. I stocked up last year to carry me htrough until I get back to France.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts