Another toilet question!

Apr 15, 2022
Visit site
Hi everyone

I’m new to this forum and I’m desperate for some expert advice 😊

We’ve had our van for 4 years, it’s 20 years old. The bathroom always smelt fine but we never used the loo.
Our last holiday I decided to start using it , so I bought pink and blue and away I went (number ones only!) after that the bathroom stunk of pee and my family were disgusted! When we got back from our trip I promised them all I would buy a new cassette and redecorate the whole bathroom as it was very old yellow and dated.
So I bought the new Thetford fresh up kit, spent extra for Elsan pink spray and blue and redecorated it all. They were made up and I was very happy and looking forward to christening the new loo lol.
So away we went this week and guess what… after one use the bathroom stinks of pee again and I’m mortified.I’d even googled the correct order of using the toilet.
I emptied the cassette straight away on site, even rinsed the seal and cleaned the compartment, put new blue and water in and it still stinks 4 days later. The children hate going in the bathroom for their toothbrushes!
I’m gutted as I don’t have a clue what the problem could be now.
Please help!!

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
I would try sanitising the water tank with a solution of milton for a couple of hours and then flush through with another tank full, although I see no reason for this causing the reek. You have presumably fitted a new holding tank and seat/lid with the Thetford kit. How about removing the cassette and giving the whole housing a deep clean with disinfectant, and also making sure that nothing has gathered in the 'wells' moulded into the floor. This also gives you access to the underside of the loo hole, and possibly some previous useage is lingering that gives off the odour when it gets wet again. Basically these areas should remain dry and clean unless there is an issue between the loo bowl and the top of the cassette when in use. Loo fluids do give off their own smell, some more pleasant than others, so maybe try a different brand? Also ensure that any human waste is covered by water in the tank after use - the advice is to put in the measure of tank fluid then top up with water to ensure this occurs.
Although we use ours mostly for nightime use there are many caravanners who never use full facility sites or only ever use 'on board' facilities without lingering pongs so we would presume that your problem has a cure!
Welcome to the forum and hope you will find lots of useful advice and tips along the way!

Apr 15, 2022
Visit site
Thank you for your reply, we originally used the diamond blue and pink and didn’t like the smell so I bought Elsan and much prefer that. The pee now smells cleaner than it did before lol.
I did bleach the cassette compartment but will have a better inspection for hiding places when I get home.Our loo was for emergencies only, so wasn’t expecting the pong after one correct use.
I’ll do a full bleach and strip down when we get home.

thanks again

Apr 15, 2022
Visit site
Quick update.. so we got home and emptied the van as you do, still smells of pee in bathroom. I go into the bathroom later on that day and the smell has gone. I just don’t get it at all. its Stunk all week?
im going to inspect the compartment for the cassette later and do a test for leaks, so frustrating!

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
I would imagine that the smell is because pee is not where it should be - in the cassette with the seal closed.

It's not impossible for pee to escape on its way into the holding tank. Nor is it impossible for this to drain into the bottom of the cassette compartment.

As you suggest a full clean of the compartment can't do any harm and may well prove the answer. Good luck. I can imagine your frustration.

Reactions: JezzerB
Apr 15, 2022
Visit site
Thank you for your reply, I think you are right. I just did a flush test and when I took the cassette out the seal was had water all around it and outside of the edges (when flushing with flap open), I’m guessing where the bowl and the seal connect, it’s not water tight. Just tried putting a piece of cardboard under the cassette to highten it a bit but that hasn’t helped either. Would toilet bowl liners be any good do you think? Might cover the edges I’m thinking.
thanks again
The compartment is dry also

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Silly question. You are putting the Elsan Blue in the cassette not the tank?
What measure of Blue are you using?
Are all of you using the toilet?

Apr 15, 2022
Visit site
Blue goes in the cassette (the amount is up to a line in the cassette cap, can’t remember exactly, but maybe 3/4 of a cap). We don’t have a separate flush tank so I’m using a pink spray for the bowl. Just me using it for emergencies on long drives. I used it once this week.
thank you

Apr 15, 2022
Visit site
I’ve just ordered some bowl liners, looking on videos they seems to cover the hole and then hopefully no pee can escape on get trapped around the seal. Fingers crossed this works! I will update at a later date

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Ok . So your flush comes from the aquaroll?
This is a very unusual problem. As you say, you are the only one using the toilet. You have a new waste tank so the sealing blade and seal must be new.
When recharging with Blue do you add any water?
A very long , personal shot, how‘s your own health? No answers on here please.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
......you say your caravan is 20 years old so I'm guessing it has a C2 toilet.
I'm not familiar with what exactly is renewed when you buy a fresh up kit but I do know that smells can occur from this model of toilet if the automatic vent is faulty.
If the refresh kit included a new automatic vent then it shouldn't be the cause of the smells.

See here

Reactions: Dustydog
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The only odour we might occasionally get from the toilet was that of the flush fluid. The cassette would be emptied daily. During a week away the toilet might be sprayed with cleaner around mid week, and then after arriving home the washroom would get a clean before putting the van into storage.
As they say “ our aim is to keep this toilet clean. Your aim would help us to do so “

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The only odour we might occasionally get from the toilet was that of the flush fluid. The cassette would be emptied daily. During a week away the toilet might be sprayed with cleaner around mid week, and then after arriving home the washroom would get a clean before putting the van into storage.
As they say “ our aim is to keep this toilet clean. Your aim would help us to do so “

As above, except I emptied every other day.

John

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When we had our caravan i did exactly every other day but there was only two of us but my wife use add some gentle toilet fluid to make smell fresher

Feb 13, 2022
Visit site
I've never had any bad smell from my loo, even when using for big jobs on a basic site.

I use the Elsan green stuff generally. I find it works just as well as the blue formaldehyde job.

My 13 year old 'van is second hand and I never felt the need to replace the cassette. Worst job I had was cleaning out the shower plug hole🤮

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Never had a problem with smells. We have used whatever toilet fluid was at hand when we needed it. The only time we have used the pink stuff was when we got free samples with new caravans. I agree the green stuff seems to work as well as the blue and will use that given a choice.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I've never had any bad smell from my loo, even when using for big jobs on a basic site.

I use the Elsan green stuff generally. I find it works just as well as the blue formaldehyde job.

My 13 year old 'van is second hand and I never felt the need to replace the cassette. Worst job I had was cleaning out the shower plug hole🤮
Would have to agree we use the green stuff we found it was a lot better for our van

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts