any foster carers out there?

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi, we have just moved UP from a motorhome to a caravan, and are very happy with this decision. I think a round of applause is in order. We are also foster carers (one child long term, we are not as brave as some). Any other foster carers out there?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Welcome to the whacky world of caravanning and the mad house referred to as a caravan forum. We had a caravan, then went to a motor home and now back with a caravn. the reason we came back to a caravan is that with a 13 year old grand daughter she reckoned there was not enough privacy in the motor home for her to dress/undress, etc.

Well done to both you and your wife for the great work and responsibilty of being foster parents. It is something which I admire in any person taking on the care of a young person with limited history of the child's previous life, both social and medical. All I can say is keep up the good work and I will take my hat off to you.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Welcome to the whacky world of caravanning and the mad house referred to as a caravan forum. We had a caravan, then went to a motor home and now back with a caravn. the reason we came back to a caravan is that with a 13 year old grand daughter she reckoned there was not enough privacy in the motor home for her to dress/undress, etc.

Well done to both you and your wife for the great work and responsibilty of being foster parents. It is something which I admire in any person taking on the care of a young person with limited history of the child's previous life, both social and medical. All I can say is keep up the good work and I will take my hat off to you.
Thanks for the welcome colin. There must be lots of us that have swapped from motorhomes to caravans. In the past we have done trailer tents and tents. It still takes us at least 2 hours and at least one serious arguement to get an awning up!

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
We are not foster carers but there are several in our local CC centre.

They all attend quite a few rallies and seem to enjoy themselves a lot.

Our daughters have both natural and adopted/foster friends within these families.

I have a lot of respect for them - one family in particular come away with 3 of their own and another 2 or 3 foster children and they are amongst the best behaved kids on site.

I would be quite interested to know what kind of training you get and how much of it?

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Hello Garry. There are two sorts of foster care providers, social services and independent agencies, (such as Foster Care Associates). We foster for our local social services. In both cases you get initial training usually 3 or 4 days worth, and then after approval they run various courses usually a day or half day at a time. You are allocated your own supervising social worker for support and guidance. You are paid an allowance which varies from area to area. Independent agencies pay much more but the children often have higher levels of need. You do get a say on the sort of child/children that you want to foster, such as age, gender etc. We are desperately short of foster carers in this country. Its challenging at times but very rewarding. We love it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts