any good towing with an automatic?

Jul 15, 2006
Visit site
we are about to buy a saab automatic 2.0 turbo, and i was wondering if there is a lot of differnce pulling wise with an automatic to a manual.i wont be driving as i will probaly forget and go from 60 to park in seconds, thinking im changing gears.

also are saabs good on towing, as we have only ever had mondeos/sierras before now?

thanks in advance to anyone that can help

Bev

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
HI,

I changed my car in febuary to a kia sorrento and put up the same topic manual or auto and got loads of responce most were from auto drivers saying how relaxing driving a auto so i plumped for one and to be honest i am now converted i love driving solo or towing with it and i can push the stick to the left and select gears myself by just pushing up and down as and when required i think they call it a j box But i hardly ever do this.

so for me it will proberbly an auto every time.

Andrew

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
I tow with a Saab 95 Aero manual, which is like the lager - probably the best tow car in the world!

Seriously tho' I have towed with auto's before, make sure you can hold a gear otherwise you will find that when going up a long hill the box is continually changing up and down.

The petrol (or diesel) consumption will also suffer

kelvin

Mar 15, 2006
Visit site
Me too. We tow with a Mercedes C Class Auto. Great for towing and, with cruise control, very relaxed touring. Gearbox never hunts and will hold 5th gear up hill and down dale. Would never go back to a manual.

h

May 18, 2006
Visit site
I have towed with automatics for years and would recommend them. So relaxing and easy to drive. Mine can be used as a manual also, but I never do that when towing. I have also not had any problems with overheating of the auto box that some people report.

May 23, 2006
Visit site
Bev

I have just changed to a Freelander diesel auto, my first automatic towcar. As others have stated, auto gearboxes make for more relaxed towing. Also manoeuvring your van becomes easier. However some automatic vehicles have a lower maximum towing weight than their manual equivalent. As long as your outfit is well matched you should have no problems with a hunting or overheating gearbox.

Marcus

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

Previously we have always towed with manual gearbox Turbo-Diesel cars, then four years ago bought a new Mercedes C270 CDI diesel automatic - and I'm totally converted.

Why? It is just so simple - normal driving, towing, hill starts, parking, town driving, motorway, driving in difficult (snow) conditions - are all so much easier.

A modern diesel car with an automatic gearbox should offer similar fuel consumption figures to the manual gearbox version - inside 5% or 10% - and in the case of my C270 the automatic gearbox will handle the 440 NM of torque and the manual gearbox won't, so the engine in the manual version is detuned by 20%.

What makes for the best automatic experience? - between a 2 and 3 litre high efficiency turbo diesel with loads of torque - this is a perfect match for a modern 5, 6 or 7 speed automatic gearbox.

Will my next car be an automatic? - most certainly - this time a BMW 330d with 230bhp and 520NM torque and a combined average of almost 50 mpg.

Robert

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Marcus, We are hoping to change our car sometime after Xmas and like the look of the Freelander, What year is your, and what do you get to the gallon towing and solo, do you have a extra oil cooler fitted? Thank you for your time, Trevor

Jul 15, 2006
Visit site
Well we picked the car up and Dave loves it, says he will have it cracked in a few days, just to get a towbar put on it - there goes this week end away for my birthday then :(

and well be off, as for pulling its max tow weight is 1800kg and the caravan max weight is 1366kg, so will be a lot better than the mondeo

roll on the new year when we can get away in the carvan and give the saab a real test

Bev

May 23, 2006
Visit site
Hi Marcus, We are hoping to change our car sometime after Xmas and like the look of the Freelander, What year is your, and what do you get to the gallon towing and solo, do you have a extra oil cooler fitted? Thank you for your time, Trevor
Trevor

Mine's a 2000 Td4 (X). My wife uses the car to work and back through town and I reckon it returns around 34 to the gallon. I've not yet done a thorough check on towing mpg but after a recent trip to the New Forest and back, including some intermediate van-free driving, the combined mpg was still 31.

I suppose it depends on how heavy footed you are and the weight you are towing. I've not fitted an oil cooler and have been told it isn't neccessary.

Hope this helps

Marcus

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
Can't think why anyone still puts up with manual gearboxes. Autos are so good these days and most include the 'tiptronic' type gear-changing anyway. The only reason they have not made manuals obsolete is that the carmakers can slap an extra

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Can't think why anyone still puts up with manual gearboxes. Autos are so good these days and most include the 'tiptronic' type gear-changing anyway. The only reason they have not made manuals obsolete is that the carmakers can slap an extra

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
PSA gearboxes are fragile, whether manual or auto.

Volvo, Saab, Toyota and Vauxhall all use the Aisin-Warner autobox which is built in Japan and generally regarded as bullet-proof.

spj

Apr 5, 2006
Visit site
I must agree with James, auto boxes are more suited to bigger and more powerful engines, I like to drive a manual and have towed with a few with various power outputs from 130bhp to 250bhp with no problems. I would not like to tow with a Mondeo sized auto with a 2ltr tdi fitted with an auto box. I now tow with a 200bhp diesel auto 4x4 which is more relaxed and better for moving my 1700kg caravan without the risk of burning out the clutch, in traffic it is more relaxed but as I do long distance towing through the night I find the criuse control the best device to make life easier. Everyone to their own.

spj.

G

We would come to England a few years back and borrow my brother in laws ageing 2 litre 940 petrol Volvo and large Swift Caravan.

He sold the car having done 260000 trouble free automatic miles and had done most european countries in it towing the same caravan.

Auto is my choice every time.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have to agree with the above postings, Gearboxes are as important as engines for towing, not only do you want a powerfull robust engine, but you also want a robust gearbox. I wouldnt go back to manual for towing, the auto is great for reversing, since getting our Grand Cherokee I havent had to use the motor mover , even when reversing into our storage pitch. No more burning clutches.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Have to disagree with Rogerl re PSA gearboxes - I am a member of the Picasso users group and I dont think we have had one complaint of a gearbox failing auto or manual. I have just bought a 2.0 ltr Scenic auto to tow with and am fully confident the gearbox will be OK - an auto gearbox is the same whether it is on a 2.0 litre or a 4.0 litre motor the principle is the same so why should a smaller engine make any difference - perhaps this is the 4x4 mentality of larger the better creeping in again.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Have to disagree with Rogerl re PSA gearboxes - I am a member of the Picasso users group and I dont think we have had one complaint of a gearbox failing auto or manual. I have just bought a 2.0 ltr Scenic auto to tow with and am fully confident the gearbox will be OK - an auto gearbox is the same whether it is on a 2.0 litre or a 4.0 litre motor the principle is the same so why should a smaller engine make any difference - perhaps this is the 4x4 mentality of larger the better creeping in again.
I'm really just repeating the comments of contributors to "Car Mechanics" - all people who fix cars, all day every day.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts