anybody been to La Bien Assise near Calais

Dec 28, 2005
Visit site
I seem to recall that there have been previous posts about this site - have you searched the forum? The campsite has an excellent website:-

http://www.camping-bien-assise.fr/en.htmlwhich should give you a very good idea of what to expect.

For what it is worth, we have stayed there twice, but only for a single night as a last stop before catching an early ferry home. Friendly staff, large site, lots of facilities (also lots of Eurocamp-type tents etc). Oddly enough, on both occasions we had terrific thunderstorms and torrential rain overnight and had to paddle about in ankle-deep water whilst hitching-up etc. Local roads were flooded.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Because it's so near to Calais it tends to be used a lot for very short stays - people arriving on a ferry, and leaving the next day on their way somewhere else. There are mixed reviews on another website - http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?page=2&revid=6283)

I'd recommend, in the same area, Chateau du Gandspette - or a little further afield La Croix du Vieux Pont at Berny Riviere.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Chris

Have stayed at Bien Assise many times. We usually stay on the last night on the way home as it is so convenient for ferries. Indeed there is a lot of movement because of this. However generally speaking the short stayers are on the front of the site. there is quite a large "rentatent" presence and many people seem to use it if they are in France for the first time. We sometimes have the last two or three nights there if we want to chill and look at local sites. The site itself is excellent with good facilities.

If it is your first time or you do not want to travel far in France Bien Assise has all the facilities.

The restaurant adjoining is also excellent and well worth a visit.

As Val said Chateau de Gandspette is also a lovely site. Visit the Blockhous next door - very sobering!

Berny Riviere is actually 150 miles away! Unfortunately that site has in my opinion gone very static and tour operator orientated. Tourers definitely get the second class pitches!

Hope this helps

DavidC

May 31, 2006
Visit site
Because it's so near to Calais it tends to be used a lot for very short stays - people arriving on a ferry, and leaving the next day on their way somewhere else. There are mixed reviews on another website - http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?page=2&revid=6283)

I'd recommend, in the same area, Chateau du Gandspette - or a little further afield La Croix du Vieux Pont at Berny Riviere.
Can you book that site you recomend through the caravan club.

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
This is a great site and we do try to get there at least once a year either on our way out or back in. It is nice to stay there for a few days just to relax before coming home, fill up with fuel and do all necessary shopping. Saying that it is a good base to stay at for a longer period. I know there is plenty of movement because of the ferries but the site is very spacious with lovely large grass pitches and you do not really notice the activity. It can make it more interesting "people watching" with various people to pass the time of day with.

We would have been going there with our two children (4 and 8) this coming Easter for the whole of the holiday however unfortunately this year it is not open until mid-April. The ocvered pool makes it an ideal site for low season as the children can have their daily swim whatever the weather.

There are play areas to suit different age groups, a bar selling icecreams and a good shop selling english condiments and baked beans etc if the need arises.

The site is obviously handy for the ferry port but, being close to the motorways it is an excellent base for sight seeing. There is a great supermarket just up the road at Marquise where you can also fill up with fuel and a trip to shopping at Citi Europe on the motorway between Marquise and Calais (Carrefour) should not be missed. This store has aisles of wine from floor to ceiling. You could also visit Wissant (good for a day out on the beach) or Le Touquet which is not too far away. Azincourt and its museum is not too far for half a day out and is very interesting for children of school age.

Gandspette is ok but I personally do not think the pitches are as good and there is no covered pool. I do not think there is as much to do there for the children.

Try it - I'm sure you love it.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
This is a great site and we do try to get there at least once a year either on our way out or back in. It is nice to stay there for a few days just to relax before coming home, fill up with fuel and do all necessary shopping. Saying that it is a good base to stay at for a longer period. I know there is plenty of movement because of the ferries but the site is very spacious with lovely large grass pitches and you do not really notice the activity. It can make it more interesting "people watching" with various people to pass the time of day with.

We would have been going there with our two children (4 and 8) this coming Easter for the whole of the holiday however unfortunately this year it is not open until mid-April. The ocvered pool makes it an ideal site for low season as the children can have their daily swim whatever the weather.

There are play areas to suit different age groups, a bar selling icecreams and a good shop selling english condiments and baked beans etc if the need arises.

The site is obviously handy for the ferry port but, being close to the motorways it is an excellent base for sight seeing. There is a great supermarket just up the road at Marquise where you can also fill up with fuel and a trip to shopping at Citi Europe on the motorway between Marquise and Calais (Carrefour) should not be missed. This store has aisles of wine from floor to ceiling. You could also visit Wissant (good for a day out on the beach) or Le Touquet which is not too far away. Azincourt and its museum is not too far for half a day out and is very interesting for children of school age.

Gandspette is ok but I personally do not think the pitches are as good and there is no covered pool. I do not think there is as much to do there for the children.

Try it - I'm sure you love it.
Chris, I don't think you can book either of the sites I recommended through the Caravan Club. Looking at their website there seem to be very few sites available to book through them, compared to the many sites listed in the Caravan Europe book which we use. However, there are some very positives reviews her about La Bien Assise, so why not stick with your original choice?

BJ

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
La Bien Assise is good, although busy with many short stay visitors. Some sloping pitches.

If you are looking for a site near to Calais and Boulogne also consider "Manoir de Senlecques" Friendly owner speaks good English.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
La Bien Assise is good, although busy with many short stay visitors. Some sloping pitches.

If you are looking for a site near to Calais and Boulogne also consider "Manoir de Senlecques" Friendly owner speaks good English.
We tend to alternate between le Bein Assise and Chateau de Gandspette depending on which direction we are approaching Calais from. Both in my view are excellent sites although perhaps Gandspette has the slight edge but that is mainly to do with the friendliness of the owner where as the main male at Bein Assise can I feel be a little on the aloof side. The saving grace is that his femail colleague more than makes up for it!!! See photos here www.caravantravels.co.uk

David

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
2008 08:54 PM We tend to alternate between le Bein Assise and Chateau de Gandspette depending on which direction we are approaching Calais from. Both in my view are excellent sites although perhaps Gandspette has the slight edge but that is mainly to do with the friendliness of the owner where as the main male at Bein Assise can I feel be a little on the aloof side. The saving grace is that his femail colleague more than makes up for it!!! See photos here www.caravantravels.co.uk

David

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I vary between:

Camping St Louis in Ardres

Camping Caravaning du Chateau d'Hardelotte in Condette

and

Camping Municipal 'La Pinede' in Etaples

depending, as David Klyne says, on the direction from which I am coming, and whether I want to eat out or not.

Mar 21, 2007
sites.google.com

A point about Manoir de Senlecques, I believe the owner is retiring about now or may allready have done so. Nice place and a pity if he has.

Dave

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
We have been to La Bien Assise on several occasions but only for an overnight stop. It is a bit of a transit camp with lots of comings and goings, even through the night with many people only staying for one night on their way south or home. It is frequently quite crowded even in June when we tend to be there. On site entertainment facilities should be OK for the kids.

The facilities are quite good but the water points are very slow and of the push button type, not good if it is raining. There is some train noise from the high speed line just across the adjoining field.

Having said all this, it is still one of the best sites in the area and close to the ferries and even closer to the tunnel but we consider it a bit on the expensive side.

John M

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts