Anybody want to buy my caravan? only 4 months old

Jun 26, 2008
Visit site
I have a Bailey Ranger 620 6 berth, it's an 08 model registered in July this year. Lovely van and very spacious - twin axle.

Hubby and kids not liking it!

G

That sounds like a very big 'Ooops'. The must be your 1st time as caravanners.

However, I assume you all agreed before the purchase and possibly you should give it a little more time. Usually all 1st trips are 'disasters' and it can take a few trips to fully understand, and therefore enjoy the hobby. Don't know the age of the kids but usually any kids less than 10 are great supporters of caravanning. If they are teenagers then you will never make them happy. I would also suggest convincing hubby to give it another go by reminding him that you and he stand to lose up to 30% of your outlay if you sell now. That may get his attention.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
with Scotch Lad , you'll loose a heap of money if you sell the van , in fact you may have problems selling in the current climate.

What aren't the family enjoying it. Maybe let this forum know and we could give you some help and advice that may be of use.

Good luck either way

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sparkle

Please do not act in haste and sell your 'van. I also surmise that you are new to caravanning and the weather we have had this year could easily have put you off. We have been caravanning for 30+ years and have been away 4 times this year and bad weather every time. Once we were accompanied by our daughter and son-in-law plus two year old grandchild who hired a static on the same site. She had just given up her cot but was not used to a bed and so bedtime was a nightmare! Every time we went out we had to change shoes for wellies, etc. etc. etc. It also became very expensive finding 'indoor' entertainments to do.

On another occasion we were attending a wedding and had to take hat boxes, suits etc., and left the caravan again in wellies and also with plastic bags on our shoes. Every time we left or entered the 'van we battled the mud.

The point is this. Even knowing just HOW GREAT caravanning can be, it did test us this year. I really can imagine that anybody new to the hobby really did not get a true impression this year. There really is nothing like being able to sit out, eat out, enjoy good weather (not ALL the time, but better than this year), so please, do give it another try next year before you finally decide. If you do experience good weather, you might find it to be a whole different ball game and one you could really get to enjoy.

Sep 26, 2008
Visit site
HI Sparkle

With everyone else on this one, always a risk when buying new and caravanning for the first time. Give your selves a little more time. plenty of places to see, things to do and people to meet in this country whatever the weather. we have recently had a 4 day break in Rome great but!! extortionate prices I could have had a couple of weeks in France in the van for the cost of the four days in Rome.

Good luck and hope you decide to give it another go

Rob

Jun 26, 2008
Visit site
Hi folks, thanks for your replies and support... we have been away about 5 times now and the real problem is because my 3 children have autism. They are finding the change difficult, even though it is their own space, we really do try our best but the hardest part for them is the getting unpacked when we arrive on site and the packing up when leaving, but also the eating whilst in the caravan but these are issues that affect their lives in general anyway so it's not strictly caravanning.

We have a week booked for Keswick in the october holidays so we'll see how we go then, i just need them to be a bit less upset and then we as adults will cope better. My kids are twins aged 11 and wee one aged 7 so they are still at a good caravanning age i believe.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sparkle

I assume you have a full size awning which you use on every trip? I can understand the hitching and pitching may be an issue for the children. Is there any way they can be involved in say single tasks , solely their responsibility, ie add a bit of fun?

Sorry I don't know much about autism but if your problem is only hitching and pitching it would be a shame to take such a big hit trying to sell your caravan now.

Good luck and let's hope it works out for you.

Cheers

Alan ( yes it's me!!)

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
Hi Sparkle

We have two children aged 5 and 2 who are only too happy to "help" with pitching up and packing away. We have been vanning now for just over 1 year, and already managed over 46 nights away in that time in every weather from hot sun to strong winds, snow and torrential rain. The kids love it.

We have a stressed 1 hour at the beginning and end of each trip whislt setting up but we now have a bit of a routine. With the single exception of feeding the full awning cord through the rail (less than a 5 minute job) I manage the hwole of the set up by myself and my wife takes the kids off to explore. Usually when they return I am just getting the kettle on and a calm can then descend on us. Yes it is hard work for me with a flurry of activity to get set up before they come back, but we found this works well for us and keeps the kids happy and out of too much mischief.

I hope you find a routine that works well for all of you because when you do, I am sure your children will grow to love caravanning.

Good luck

David

We invested in a couple of in-car DVD players for our 3 and 4 yr olds, this helps when setting up and packing away, they sit in the car and watch their favourite films, I dont know if this would help you but its worth a try? You will lose alot of money if you sell your van.

G

I, like others, am not an expert on the subject however, I gather that children with austism prefer regular routines, possibly to the extent of obsessiveness. Any change, regardless of how small, causes a panic attack.

You mention mealtimes and I wonder if it would be possible to have some meals in the van, even if you are not away. This may allow the kids to get familiar more with the environment and not possibly make such a 'fuss' when on actual site. Also possibly try sticking to the same site for a while, again to get some familiarity.

As for the actual setting up you may need to follow advice given by 'David' and get one of you to do the setting up while the other takes the kids off to 'explore'. I am sure the more you and hubby get 'stressed' the more reaction from the kids.

Having 1 child with autism is a difficult situation, having 3 must be very stressful and I fully accept that I doubt if I could cope.

If it all 'fails' then you may just have to accept defeat and try something else, but I regret your pocket will feel the 'pain'. Possibly an alternative is to rent a static van for a break, at least all the setting up has already been done for you.

Jun 26, 2008
Visit site
Thankyou for your comments, it's a difficult situation. We have been talking about caravanning with our kids and surprisingly they don't want us to sell the van! They do actually like going in it. So we'll keep trying as that's what life is all about, and we'll have to work around the different areas of difficulty to make things easier and much less stressfull.

If you happen to hear lots of screaming coming from a bailey ranger one day on site, don't report us... just come and knock on the door and say hi! remember to bring some sweets to quieten them down!!!!

thanks, W

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sparkle

Jo-anne has a similar problem to you. She is the Queen of caravanning!

I'm sure she'll be in touch soon.

Chers

Alan

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Sparkle,

We have 2 boys with ASD, as well as third who isn't. We have been camping and caravanning for many years and I find the boys love it. Once they get more used to the routines and the van it should get better. In the caravan they can have their own things like bedding etc. I always get the boys to pack a small bag each with the toys, books etc that they want to take. They sleep in the same beds, and we try to maintain their routines as much as possible, - to be honest I find that much easier in the van then when we have tried staying in a hotel, as you have to follow the hotels routines etc.

It's really good that your boys want you to keep the van, as others have said try giving them a job to do to try to help or let them sit in the car while you sort it out. Our boys quite often do this which means we can normally get set up more quickly.

Good luck, hoppefully things will get better.

Jo

Mar 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi Sparkle

Try and stick with it for a while longer.

We (actually I) had a number of ****-ups and temper tantrums on our first trips, which my ever patient SWMBO put up with.

I could not get to grips with the blessed thing and SWMBO had been 'vanning with her parents for years, so you can imagine my frustrations at not being able to get along with the hobby.

After a good number of trips out and staying at good sites (all CC I'm afraid!) we are really enjoying the experience. It's like a home from home and, once the steadies are down and the jobs done, we get so relaxed. It's made a big difference to me and I'm hoping to keep up the hobby until my time's up.

Enjoy.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sparkle

I assume if you stay on a CC site you book one of the pitches reserved for the disabled?

Secondly I bet there are plenty of wardens and other CC members who will be only too pleased to help you pitch and hitch, leaving either you or hubby to look after the boys.

Well I'mm speaking for myself and I will be happy to help, I bet others will too!

Asking never hurt anyone!!

Cheers

Alan

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sparkle

I assume if you stay on a CC site you book one of the pitches reserved for the disabled?

Secondly I bet there are plenty of wardens and other CC members who will be only too pleased to help you pitch and hitch, leaving either you or hubby to look after the boys.

Well I'mm speaking for myself and I will be happy to help, I bet others will too!

Cheers

Alan

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Sparkle

Cheers

Alan

G

Hi Sparkle.

I hope with time that your children will see caravanning as part of their regular routine.

If possible do not be in to much of a hurry to set up the outfit.

A large awning giving the children more space and freedom may be the way ahead. We always set up a full Awning, we eat in it when our grandaughters are with us, with a similar caravan to you we find that the extra space is less stressful.

We always try and arrive at sites earlier in the day, our kids and now the grand kids got to explore or play on swings or jump in the pool before the setup began.

My daughter holiday'd when she was a teenager with her friends family who met with relatives with an autistic son and daughter who she and her friend helped care for and entertain. The family regularly set their caravan up at home in the garden and had cooked ate and slept in it regularly. We guessed that the children had taken it as a routine or part of some family game and then turned it in to trips away in the UK and to Brittany.

You and your husband deserve to enjoy a break away as well as your children, I hope you can find away around your initial problems.

Alan is right, I'm sure most caravanners would be please to give you a hand on most sites, not just CC sites. We regularly visist sites that cater for dissability. I can't remember a time when people have not been pleased to help and most don't have to be asked.

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi Sparkle, I work with children with ASD as well as being a parent of young children (who don't respond well to the packing/unpacking stage either!) and we are also new caravanners too, so all in all I can fully appreciate the problems you must be facing.

One thing I would say is that we have also been away 5 times now and whilst getting better, we still don't have a set setting up and packing routine because we still haven't found the best way of doing it yet! I'm assuming it's similar for you, which will provide uncertainty for your boys. What I've found works really well for us is an in car DVD (as suggested earlier in this thread). We pop the kids in their car seats and put on their favourite film (ususally Shrek!!) and run around like headless chickens sorting everything out. Alternatively a task each for your kids might help? If this was presented visually as a tick list with a clear end point it may reduce anxiety and occupy them. It's hard in an enclosed space though such as the van I suppose. Iwas thinking of a list of things to find in a cupboard and pack. However I'm sure you know your children better than anyone so are well aware of what they respond to best etc!! I'd hate to see you lose your chance at this lovely pastime when I'm sure there must be a solution!

Supporting what others have said above, I'd happily lend a hand to anyone so shout up on site, there are plenty of helpers around!

Good luck and let us know how you get on in half term

Angel :0)

Jun 26, 2008
Visit site
You have all given some good advice there folks, we have an isabella minor porch which helps us to store all the outdoor gear we have and we get the table and chairs in there too which is handy for my kids to sit at and play cards etc.

I have a map and we are slowly putting stickers against places we have stayed which is one tiny thing to keep them keen. I think the suggestion about a visual checklist is good and i will take my camera with me and take some photos of things to be done and make them into a visual checklist for my kids, i think they will love that.

We used to take a visual daily programme with us to enable them all to see what our timetable was for the day but found it could become too rigid and not open to anything unexpected or any change.

We have never used disabled facilities on any site because we always felt that because our kids are physically able then we would be laughed off site! I am probably pressuming the worst of people there but where we come from people don't tend to fully appreciate the difficulties that people on the Autistic Spectrum have.

I would never think to ask for help either as we're not used to having any at home(not looking for sympathy here by the way). We have decided to keep trying and not give up you'll be pleased to hear! We just have to relax a bit and go with the flow. We will be cooking in the van more too and we need to try and establish some sort of routine in the van. Thanks folks for your comments, i hope i meet lots of nice understanding people like you lot when we're away, you make the world a nicer place, thanks W

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
sparkle, i am the Jo-Anne Alan was talking about.

I have to boys with special needs, epilepsy and chronic lung disease, one is registered disabled but he is a walking disabled.

we leave them in the car with in car dvd players whilst we just set the van up and then put tv in van on for them. the older one then helps us a bit.

we have only just gone to a full awning after 2 years and wow what a difference. the boys now go and play out there the awning is all zipped up and theres toys and balls, books and soft golf so theres lots for them to do.

make sure you have enough dvd's for them or freeview and colouring stuff. it does get easier but it wont happen over night.

if you got to cc sites and any of your boys have a blue badge then you can reserve a disabled pitch but you must phone the site. Also they usually have family rooms and also disabled facilities. Your family has children with special needs just because they are walking disabled doesnt mean you cant use them. Hold your head up high because you do a fantastic job and i understand its not easy.

Give yourself a pat on the back and go and enjoy it will get easier I promise.

take care

Jo-Anne xx

Jun 26, 2008
Visit site
hi jo-anne, we haven't got a blue badge but we have 3 national autistic society autism cards that give further information and that normally work when going anywhere. Never applied for the blue badge you see.

I have ordered some stickers to put on the van window to highlight that there is children with autism on board, subtle ones not glaringly in yer face ones! that may help if people think we're in there beating them up and can hear all the screaming that my wee one does. forgot to say that all 3 of kids have it.

You have it hard too with your wee ones conditions, and you're tight it aint easy and holiday is very hard work but it's nice to get away and see more of the country. And just sometimes when there are moments of calm, it can be very enjoyable!

We're off to Keswick on 13th October (scottish school holidays) we're hoping it doesn't get flooded out, but then we've booked a hard standing and will make sure we get a pitch on the highest bit of the park! So if any of you are there that week look out for us, W

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts