Anyone know of any nice basic sites in Dorset?

Aug 1, 2007
Visit site
A bit premature for my first (not including my hello) post on here but does anyone know of any nice sites with just the basic facilities in the Dorset area?

We're moving away from a tent - as soon as we can find a caravan that fits the bill, and the budget! - and go to Downshay Farm at Harmans Cross (just outside Wareham) quite a lot. They only have 12 caravan pitches though and we aren't sure we like the way they're cornered off into a specific area of the field, although can see its probably the flattest area.

For anybody who doesn't already know it, its pretty much just a huge field on a working farm and they provide showers, loos and a washing up area. And LOADS of space for the kids to run around in!

So, we're looking for similar kinds of sites, although perhaps with a bit more choice over where you can pitch!

Thanks!

Ali

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Try Pear Tree Farm on the Organford Road out of Sandford. Turn right if approaching from A350 (Poole - Dorchester Road) at traffic lights on Sandford Road (at junction of demolished petrol station). Drive past Sandford Park Caravan Site and the Clay Pipe pub and it is a few hundred yards further on. Quiet site with excellent shower/toilet facilities and small shop. Also play area for children and long dog walk should you need it. Telephone number: 01202 622434

Aug 1, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Colin - I'll add that to the list.

Shame they don't seem to have a website as I'd like to see some pictures of the childrens play area.

We've just camped at Birchwood Tourist Park in Wareham, where the playground is like this:

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s244/CheekyMooster/IMG_4699.jpg
Fantastic area for kids to play in - unless you've got 3 like mine who've all inherited my osteogenesis imperfecta (aka brittle bones), in which case you spend the whole time on the edge of a nervous breakdown. Hence why we like the simple sites!

Ali

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
How about a site in north Dorset on the Wilts border? Try www.churchfarmcandcpark.co.uk

There is plenty of room and it is not commercial.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Cheeky Mooster - I also suffered with brittle bones as a child and at the age of 14 I broke my collar bone having previously broken my left arm four times and my right arm twice. The doctor who attended to me said that if I broke another bone he would admit me to hospital and carry out tests, including an exploraty operation, to see what the problem was. I didn't like the sound of this so I became more carefull with my life and thankfully at the age of 62 have not broken any further bone. That doctor did scare the s**t out of me so I made sure I would not be in hospital.

Aug 1, 2007
Visit site
Its a nightmare Colin - it really is!

So far my nearly 3 year old twins have had 3 broken legs between them, and my nearly-5 year old has broken the tip off his elbow (which needed an op to wire it back on again.) All from very minor knocks too, in fact, our youngest son broke his leg just by pushing himself up to standing from having fallen down on his bottom.

On average (since the twins have been on their feet), we've had a trip to hospital every 6 months with broken bones.

We're just going down the genetics route at the moment - already had an embarrassing visit from social services so thank goodness we won't be getting anymore of those!

So, you can see why we try to go for very basic sites - not much they can do to themselves when they've only got a huge patch of grass to run around on!! We'll probably start going to more fancy sites when they're older - at the moment they're just too young, and too excited, to understand that they need to be careful...

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
Hello CheekyMooster.

Just got back from Dorset tonight. There was a very basic site near where we stayed(West Bay)Near Birdport.

The park is called Brit Valley it has a toilet block with showers but does not have electric.

The area is very nice close to the harbour and a superb coast line.

There are other sites but didn't realy take notice of the names.

Will

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts