Are all caravan site's quiet?

May 21, 2008
Visit site
I'm loving the peace and quiet on our seasonal site, but on the other hand I do think it's too quiet.
There's 36 pitches but only 15 with caravans on them. Of that, 2 are tourist's and the rest are seasonals. But only 5 are occupied.
When I first came to this site 3 years ago, we spent 6 months on grass waiting for a pitch, since then they doubled the hardstandings the following year and had 75% occupancey. Now there are only 4 of the original tennents left.

On the static side there are over a dozen vans for sale, which is getting on for 20% of that side in decline.

To me it makes bleak statistics for the owner.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steve,
We've recently returned from holiday in France and I was thinking of posting the question " are all caravan sites as busy". France seemed busier than usual with caravans and motorhomes. One of the sites we visited is one we have now spent time on for the last four years, all at similar times of the year. It seemed much busier than usual. I got speaking with a motorhome owner who was nearing the end of a prolonged touring trip to France and he also commented on how much busier than usual other sites had seemed.

Perhaps all the missing caravanners from your site have been going abroad
smiley-laughing.gif

Aug 10, 2009
Visit site
We've just come back from a really nice site in Wales, during the whole week the maximum number of tourer's was 3 plus a couple of motorhomes. There were about 20 seasonal vans only used for the weekends. there were a couple of tents in the camping field.
Must of been the Welsh rain keeping them away we had enough of it!!!!

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Rob-T said:
Hi Steve,
We've recently returned from holiday in France and I was thinking of posting the question " are all caravan sites as busy". France seemed busier than usual with caravans and motorhomes. One of the sites we visited is one we have now spent time on for the last four years, all at similar times of the year. It seemed much busier than usual. I got speaking with a motorhome owner who was nearing the end of a prolonged touring trip to France and he also commented on how much busier than usual other sites had seemed.

smiley-laughing.gif
And yet we have friends at Ma Prairie at Canet Plage, and they've reported that the site is not yet full - nor fully booked for the peak two weeks! I must say in late May and first two weeks in June the sites we stayed on were quiet - except for one which we'd loved in the past, and I'd highly recommended on Forums like this. When we arrived it was almost full - and we really didn't enjoy staying there after the quietness of previous sites. We were one of only six occupied touring pitches out of 124 on one site!!!!!

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
As we only use CLs and CSs (with the exception of our one trip to Longleat later next month, most sites we go on are very quiet!! except of course when the five of us and the dogs arrive!!!!

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
The doog said:
Must of been the Welsh rain keeping them away we had enough of it!!!!

Ditto.
We've just been to Beddgelert and came home Friday, two days early. We had had enough of the rain and midges biting when it eased off. At one time we had half an inch of water in the awning because the ground couldn't take any more although the state of their PREMIUM pitches didn't help.

201178premiumpitch1.jpg

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Val A. said:
And yet we have friends at Ma Prairie at Canet Plage, and they've reported that the site is not yet full - nor fully booked for the peak two weeks! I must say in late May and first two weeks in June the sites we stayed on were quiet - except for one which we'd loved in the past, and I'd highly recommended on Forums like this. When we arrived it was almost full - and we really didn't enjoy staying there after the quietness of previous sites. We were one of only six occupied touring pitches out of 124 on one site!!!!!

Hi Val,
Another motorhome owner I spoke with mentioned how this year he had stayed to the Vendee and Loire areas due to the cost of fuel.He reckoned he had saved over £350 in fuel. Just wondered if the sites in the northern half are busier and those in the south quieter. The first person I spoke to who commented on sites being busier never mentioned what areas they had been to, never thought to ask at the time.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Lord Braykewynde said:
Ditto.
We've just been to Beddgelert and came home Friday, two days early. We had had enough of the rain and midges biting when it eased off. At one time we had half an inch of water in the awning because the ground couldn't take any more although the state of their PREMIUM pitches didn't help.

201178premiumpitch1.jpg

That's a Premium Pitch???
See you've bought one of the Prof's "weather rocks" (see thread about weather prediction)
smiley-laughing.gif

Robert

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Rob-T said:
That's a Premium Pitch???
See you've bought one of the Prof's "weather rocks" (see thread about weather prediction)
smiley-laughing.gif

Robert

Yep, a bit heavy but when towing I put it over the axle. When siting the rock it didn't take long for the lichens and moss to grow so it's pretty accurate in letting you know that it's either raining or the air is saturated with moisture. I can't wait to buy his Mk3 version if it's just as good
smiley-smile.gif

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Looks like you got fleeced LB. At least the Welsh water is soft.

Just got back from Devon. Mostly statics and seasonals. Is it my imagination or are the seasonal caravans getting older?
smiley-undecided.gif

A couple of rallies took place in another field . The facilities ie toilets and showers were about 20 years past their sell by date. Thank goodness we use our own.
The seasonal next to me reckons he pays £1,100 per year which for him is only £500 more than storage. They were fully serviced pitches so all in all not a bad deal.
However I do wonder why Touring Caravans mature into glorified statics??
Surely travelling, touring is all part of the buzz
smiley-wink.gif

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
Val A. said:
Rob-T said:
Hi Steve,

smiley-laughing.gif

We stayed at Ma Prairie 9 years ago and it was completely full, when we stopped there in May last year and it was vrtually empty. Our main site was Bois Soleil near Royan was virtually full for the whole of June this year. But saying that it is a very popular site and June is generally full.

Les

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Steve perhaps it is the cost of seasonal sites wher you are staying that puts people off plus additional costs if you have a dog. When we tried to book a weekend there, there were vacancies but the additional charges made us decide to go to a CL in Pembridge instead.

TRENDING THREADS