Arriving at Dunkirk

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
We will be arriving at Dunkirk at 9p.m, does anyone know if there is somewhere were we can pull in for the night close to the docks, just want to get our heads down for a couple of hours before travelling the next day, Thanks.

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi
Yes there certainly is somewhere to park-up at Dunkerque. We have stayed at Dunkerque in our caravan numerous times travelling both ways. There is a large carpark adjacent to the terminal. At the first roundabout after leaving the ferry at Dunkerque turn back on yourself and head back towards the terminal. Take the lane marked without tickets (or words to that effect) and you will end up in a large car park. You will probably find that there are already a large number of "overnighters" there but it is large carpark and you should have no problem finding a space. There has always been plenty of room for us although we only travel during July/August peak season. We have never had any problems staying there. It means that one can get off to an early start the next day. We have caught the 6.00pm ferry from Dover several times with the same idea as you. There are public toilets in the ferry building but I'm not sure if it is all through the night. There is also a cafe in the terminal building during the daytime and some vending machines at other times.
We have stayed at the same carpark several times on the way home and have been able to get on earlier ferries without additional charge - we just joined the queue and got through without comment.
We like the Dover-Dunkerque route!!! Cheap AND cheerful!!!
I hope this helps.
Tim

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info Tim & Cary, very helpful.
smiley-wink.gif

Feb 3, 2009
Visit site
Hi Tim,
Interested in your post, we have had to alter our ferry travel time out of Dover to the 'red eye' crossing of 23.59! Looking on GOOGLE, I have followed your route out thru the roundabout and back into the terminal, and think that this would give us a chance of some rest before we set off on our travels.

Problem, is the carpark you mean adjacent to the Ferry terminal building or the one directly behind that? (Do you park outside the terminal building, the other car park appears to be blocked off, or is the sat photo out of date.)

As it will be dark when we disembark, don't fancy driving round the terminal looking for somewhere to park up. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Do not know which way you are going. In September I will be arriving at 1.00am and will be going north to join the German motorways (going to the Czech Republic). An hours drive north on the A18 and before you join the A10, there is a large rest area, that's where I will be stopping for a rest and something to eat.

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Merlin
I've just "googled" the route and see what you mean about the entrance to the carpark appearing to be blocked!!! I did mean the, apparently blocked, larger carpark furthest from the terminal building. I do not know how current the google map is. I can only suggest you post on the UKC and Caravan Talk forums as they seem to have more members posting and I'm sure someone can give you the current situation.
Regards
Tim

Feb 3, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Tim,
Maybe someone who has recently used the Dunkirk terminal can confirm if that car park is indeed closed. Failing that we will just have to drive for a couple of hours down to one of the 'Aires'!

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Breda & Merlin
I've posted your question on ukcampsite and caravan talk forums and this is the most hopeful reply that was posted in Caravan Talk.
We stopped in the Dunquerque park on our way home on 8th June with no problems and used the toilet facilities in the booking office. No problems with access and I don't think it can be blocked off as people drive in to buy tickets or change bookings at the office. It was much quieter than we anticipated and we enjoyed a good night's sleep. Many thanks to CT members who described this sometime ago and it was the first time we have made use of that information.
It seems that the car park IS open, or it was on 8 June 2012. Google sat pictures are often rather out of date in my experience so perhaps that is true of the Dunkerque port photo. I've just been looking at the Camping Du Letty sat photo on Google and THAT photo is obviously more than a year old as it does not even show their new swimming pool complex which was built more than a year ago.
I hope that is of some help.
Tim

Feb 3, 2009
Visit site
I emailed DFDS re parking at Dunkirk yesterday, they responded that they had no facilities for parking after disembarking from the ferry, and the emails content left me with the impression that they didn't wish to accept any responsibilities for parking at the terminal. This response came from the Dover office, so I assume it is their standard policy, which I guess is understandable in these times.
It looks like we will just have to see when we arrive what the 'real' situation is, I will of course post a comment, so that others can benefit from our situation.
We don't travel for a couple of weeks yet, so perhaps there will be further updates. Many thanks for your input Tim, as is always in these matters, the latest information with a date, is the best advice.

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Again Breda & Merlin
Two further comments TODAY from replies to my post on the Caravan Talk forum:regarding parking at the Dunkerque ferry terminal

(1) We will be using it next time we go, saw plenty there last friday and seemed quiet, wish we new before we went,would have saved 25euro - Lad
(2) Yes it's still open I spent the night there last night.Alan
I imagine that you are right Merlin when you say that DFDS just don't want to take responsibility for parking at the ferry terminal. However of the above 2 caravanners "Alan" parked there last night and "Lad" saw others parking there last Friday.
This is the link to the quoted thread:
http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/68027-is-the-large-car-park-still-available-adjacent-to-the-dunkerque-ferry-terminal/
Best wishes
Tim

Aug 31, 2008
Visit site
Hi Again Breda & Merlin
Two further comments TODAY from replies to my post on the Caravan Talk forum:regarding parking at the Dunkerque ferry terminal

(1) We will be using it next time we go, saw plenty there last friday and seemed quiet, wish we new before we went,would have saved 25euro - Lad
(2) Yes it's still open I spent the night there last night.Alan
I imagine that you are right Merlin when you say that DFDS just don't want to take responsibility for parking at the ferry terminal. However of the above 2 caravanners "Alan" parked there last night and "Lad" saw others parking there last Friday.
This is the link to the quoted thread:
http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/68027-is-the-large-car-park-still-available-adjacent-to-the-dunkerque-ferry-terminal/
Best wishes
Tim

Feb 3, 2009
Visit site
HI Folks,
On the 'red eye' ferry last night on the midnight crossing, second off the boat behind one of the large trucks, thought this is magic, follow him out of the port. (No customs, security checks or anything, here we go). Missed the roundabout by following the truck, next thing to appear 'road to Calais'. So unfortunately I cannot give any updates re staying on the port itself.
We stopped on the aire 'les Deux Caps', plenty of room and an easy access, and no problems, we awoke to find several other campers had joined us thru the night.
Happy camping - on holiday now!!

TRENDING THREADS