Audi with multitronic gearbox

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi all

Not being mechanically minded please be gentle with me as I explain our problem in basic terms! Last Autumn we bought a 2002 Audi Diesel Automatic 2.5 V6 which has been great up to now. We recently went to Italy and France, a total of 2,700 miles, mostly on motorway. On one occasion we did have to ask the car to work but not for long.

We tow a Lunar 524 and our weight ratio is 84% according to whattowcar. but 74% when we took the outfit to a weighbridge.

The day after our steep drive, the car 'shuddered' slightly when first moving off and it has done so ever since. The car has been computer tested briefly which suggests it could be something to do with the multitronic gearbox. The question is what is the difference between multitronic and tiptronic and its suitability for towing. Tomorrow we are getting a second opinion as at the moment it looks an expensive problem, and also we need to make a decision as to the future of the car.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Audi boxes are very clever and very reliable it could be mechanical - big bucks because it is lots of man hours in removing inspecting, fixing and getting the box back on or it might be something simple like a broken sensor wire or the fact the gearbox has suffered a control unit software problem.

Problem is it really is an Audi dealer job at about

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If Multitronic really was totally unsuitable for towing, Audi would have stated such in there literature as chances are that failures could occur during the warranty period and Audi would have to pay for the repairs themselves, which thay would naturally try to avoid at all costs. The towing limits for cars with Multitronic are actually marginally higher than those for the equivalent manual box, another indication that Multitronic cannot be that bad.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
Extremely unlikely, to happen twice. it is worth asking the dealership if any others have been in or asking an audi forum if they know of any problems.

Certainly from my professional point of view as a fleet manager with 36000 cars under my belt I don't know of this problem. Know TDi engines are something else.

MH

Sep 24, 2006
Visit site
Hi Chrissylizzie,

Sorry to here of your bad luck.

Unfortunatly the Audi cvt/ multitronic is well known in the trade as being troublesome.

By 2006 Audi were paying upto 50% of the repair cost as long as the cvt fluid was changed every 40000 miles.

Best of luck

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

Thanks for your replies. We have today received a call from the local Service Manager who are going to apply to Audi for a contribution towards expenses as weaknesses in these gearboxes are recognised.

Jaybee - the fluid has been replaced at every 40,000 miles and that is an ongoing requirement. Presuming if we do this and Audi make the modification, should the car be suitable for towing in the future, or has towing not really contributed towards the problem? Sorry to put you on the spot, but we need to make the right decision for the future.

Sep 24, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

When this gearbox is modified they increase the number of plates from 5 to 6, or 6 to 7 I forget which, but you really need to discuss with Audi as to whether it is suitable for towing, preferably in writing.

My opinion, and it is only my opinion is that its not.

Apply pressure to Audi about a contribution, you should succeed.

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Just to let you know the outcome of our problem. I always believe in giving credit when it is due and Audi deserve this in this case. The car has been adapted with Audi meeting 100% of the costs and this was without any pressure from us, just an application from our local Service Manager. Parts are guaranteed for two years so we have time to assess the situation. The mechanic who did the job said towing should not have caused this and he has never known one which has been modified to fail again, so fingers crossed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts