Austria in April/May

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
Hi all

As were all aware there is a good holiday from Thursday 21 apr before good friday upto 2 may meaning only 3 days are being used of the meagre annual amount.

We want to go to Austria, have been trying for 2 years....... But what is the weather like at this particular time? We know we can't use camping cheques which is a blow!!!!

We are wanting to go to Salzburg and possibly Vienna !!
Does anyone know of close campsites nearby?
What routes do you use to get there?
how long should we allow?

Many thanks

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Why can't you use Camping Cheques? All the Camping Cheque sites in Austria appear to take them during April (that's if the site itself is open, of course) and early May. The Easter and Spring Bank Holidays, are not peak season in most of Europe and therefore Camping Cheques are accepted almost everywhere, apart from a few sites in Spain where Easter is a busy time.
Can't help with the weather, but even if it's like it is here, then at least YOU will be somewhere different! Go, is my advice - and use your Camping Cheques!
Campsites on pages 492 Klosterneuburg, , and 493 Tulln of the current (2011 brochure) are the nearest Camping Cheque sites to Vienna, and 478Tirol Camp appears to be nearest to Salzburg or two German sites, on pages 412 Panorama Camping Harras, and 413 Seegatterl, are also nearish.

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Hi Smiley
We went to Austria in 2008 in June. The weather was fantastic and the veiws to die for. We stayed at Wolfgut Sportcamp
http://www.sportcamp.at/campsite/en/
Just at the bottom end of the Zell Am See. A very clean international site who speak good English and very helpful with an enquiry. The toilet/wash facilities we have never seen so well made and kept so clean. Booked through Carefree C&CC.
Saltzburg is beautiful. Make sure you watch dare I say it 'The Sound Of Music' because you can then go... Oh I remember that !
Also do make the effort and do a Sound of Music tour from Salzburg.
Another excellent day out is a drive up to the Kitzsteinhorn Glacier. This road only opens during the spring/summer months and is a spectaclar drive with veiws to match.
We had so much to do just around the ZELL area we never got to visit Vienna.

Hope this helps
Kev & Max...

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
smiley said:
Hi all

As were all aware there is a good holiday from Thursday 21 apr before good friday upto 2 may meaning only 3 days are being used of the meagre annual amount.

We want to go to Austria, have been trying for 2 years....... But what is the weather like at this particular time? We know we can't use camping cheques which is a blow!!!!

We are wanting to go to Salzburg and possibly Vienna !!
Does anyone know of close campsites nearby?
What routes do you use to get there?
how long should we allow?

Many thanks

In Salzburg we have stayed at a campsite called Nord Sam http://www.camping-nord-sam.com/en/268/home.html which is to the north of the city but its only a bus ride away. When we went to Vienna we stayed at a campsite called Aktiv Camping Neue Donau http://www.campingwien.at/nd/en/ which was a bus and U-Bahn ride from the centre. If I went to Vienna again I think I would be tempted to use the ones suggested by Val and take the train in.
David

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Have you thought of using the low season ACSI book where sites are either 11, 13 or 15 euros per night max, which includes car, caravan, awning, and electric. Most of these sites have full amenities.
I have used these for the last two years and find that you can save quite a lot of money compared to what most camp sites charge.

TRENDING THREADS