Austrian Tirol and Southern Bavaria - summer 2007

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
We shall take our Senator abroad next year for a 3 week trip (she doesn't know it yet!); we are planning a few days in Salzburg and then two main centres; each for about 5/6 nights; first we are considering the Austrian Tirol ( around lake Achensee; but it may be VERY crowded and noisy?) and the other around the Bavarian castles s.w of Munich.

I only have Alan Rogers European guide but it's not easy to loacte sites which meet your criteria from his guide. We are looking for peace, tranquillity, and majestic mountains. I suppose one could say we are looking for the equivalent of our top CLs; we certainly don't want swimming pools; games rooms and crowds. Just a quality site with spacious pitches; with or without A/C hookup (we have our solar panel!).

The only information I have read in this forum about Austria appears rather negative; and how the Austrian police will hammer you if you don't buy some sort of motorway 'pass'. From a caravanner's perspective; how does Austria fare? Or would Switzerland be a safer bet? (More crowds though; as we intend to go in July / August).

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. (Don't you just wish that all this information on the PC forum could be more readily archived and retrieved?!)

John

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I'm in the UK at the moment and don't have access to my Campsite Guide of the German Auto Club ADAC but I've always found that reliable when looking for small, quiet and picturesque sites that we also prefer. I'll be back home again in mid-September. If you can wait until then, I'll have a look to see if I can come up with something for you. If you're interested, just write me an email with your preferences of location and to remind me.

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I'm in the UK at the moment and don't have access to my Campsite Guide of the German Auto Club ADAC but I've always found that reliable when looking for small, quiet and picturesque sites that we also prefer. I'll be back home again in mid-September. If you can wait until then, I'll have a look to see if I can come up with something for you. If you're interested, just write me an email with your preferences of location and to remind me.
Thank you Lutz; I really appreciate it; will do. (The trouble is, I speak no German so I daresay I would struggle with the German Campsite guide ! Thanks very much.

John

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi John,

The Dutch ACSI organisation have a free on-line guide for the European countries - http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/

I asked my Dutch colleagues at work, but all going that way were heading to Croatia (all of them carrying 25 kg of potatoes in their van - the same way Brits take tea with them)

Robert

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Hello Robert (I thought you might reply on this; thanks for the URL). Do you persnally have any views on staying in / around Lake Achensee in the Tirol? I do know that a number of you o this forum rate sites in / around the Jungfrau near Interlaken in Switzerland?

John

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I have now bought the Caravan Club's "Europe 2" guide which curiously provides less detailed site information that Alan Rogers' guide :-(

I suppose the truth is we are looking for a mountainous, (rural) site with quality, clean facilities that is peaceful and quiet. We do not want a site that is more akin to a holiday camp (as most of them seem to be) featuring daily events for kids and entertainment for adults! No, we are looking for a site that is like a CL with caravans spread out; peaceful; glorious views; with quality washing and toilet facilities. Happy to use our solar panel for power recharge !

Lutz has kindly offered to research this when he returns to Germany; but meanwhile can any of you make some recommendations ?

Thanks very much

John

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi John,

No, I've driven to Austria on business but we've never taken the Eriba Triton there - which actually sounds like a great idea. And as I said all my Dutch colleagues use Austria as a highway to the delights of Croatia.

Certainly found the Austrian people very friendly, but whilst my Dutch, French and Spanish language skills are good, my German is limited to reading technical / scientific papers - and that's not terribly helpful.

Robert

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Hi John,

No, I've driven to Austria on business but we've never taken the Eriba Triton there - which actually sounds like a great idea. And as I said all my Dutch colleagues use Austria as a highway to the delights of Croatia.

Certainly found the Austrian people very friendly, but whilst my Dutch, French and Spanish language skills are good, my German is limited to reading technical / scientific papers - and that's not terribly helpful.

Robert
Hello Robert; my German is non existent but I shall certainly try! Am hoping that soem of the PC members will be able to offer some experience of Austrian sites.

I doubt we'll drive into Slovenia but are likely to pop into Italy (Cortina). We don't know this area at all and are quite willing to modify our plans. What is important is the peace; quiet; views; walks and joie de vivre :) !!

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John

If you want to stay in Salzburg there is a campsite called camping Nord Sam which is conventient for a bus into the centre. Lovely City.

David

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
John

If you want to stay in Salzburg there is a campsite called camping Nord Sam which is conventient for a bus into the centre. Lovely City.

David
Thanks David; I assume that it's a good caravan site also :) ?

Great I shall try to find out some details.

John

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Camping Nord-Sam

David it looks really nice; thank you; has anyone else been there?

Some of you MUST have been to Austria and found quiet 'CL' like sites; want to share your thoughtd please? (Lutz has given me a few (thank you) but there must be many more ?)

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Try going onto the ACSI site www.eurocampings.co.uk/en/europe

it is very good.

We have stopped 3 years running at Austria Camp on Mondsee. It is close to Salzburg and Wolfgangsee wonderful places to visit.

The site is on the shore of the see and in Mondsee town is the lovely church that was used for the wedding ceremony in The Sound of Music.

The owner is very helpful and the site quite quiet, not too large tho we have only been at the end of May.

Mar 19, 2005
Visit site
Hi there is an excellent site in southern bavaria near Fussen its right on lake Hopfensee and is called camping Hopfensee. We took our Senator Wyoming twin axle there last year and had a great pitch near the lake. Excellent site no noise close to Austrian border.

Regards John

TRENDING THREADS