Auto Box with Twin Axle

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi
Would appreciate any input on this.
We have a Conqueror 645 (MIRO 1644kg) which my wife loves. We currently tow with a 2012 Sorento which has no problems whatsoever. My wife now has mobility issues and we are about to purchase a disability scooter for her.
To continue her ability to drive solo (hence auto) and also carry and load the scooter herself; and me tow the caravan, I am considering changing the Sorento for either a Peugeot Traveller (my preferred choice) or Ford Tourneo Custom, both automatics. Their low loading and extensive load area will easily accommodate scooter, electric trike/bike and caravan stuff. (Their competitors- Merc V class etc don’t represent same value, or are too light)
However, the Traveller is approx 1730kg kerbweight and the Tourneo Custom 2429kg. So the Traveller is a bit iffy on the match with the loaded weight of the Conqueror. Both vehicles’ towing weights aren’t a problem- 2000kg.
Both automatic versions have 180hp, which is actually slightly more than the Sorento’s 175hp, but not sure on an automatic towing such a weighty caravan. Any views on this?
There are a couple of reviews on the Traveller towing a single axle Swift, without any problem. There doesn’t appear to be any issues with automatic gearboxes needing additional cooling, so presume modern gearboxes can cope with towing no problem.
Any experience or views welcome

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A correctly specified automatic will be able to tow a suitably matched caravan, and make for a far better driving experience solo and towing.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
With any vehicle it is important to check the manufacturer's instructions to see what additional precautions may be needed for towing such as type pressure and additional cooling may be required. It' s not safe to assume it will be alright. A little research should resolve that issue.

Always keep within the manufacturers specifications, and regards towing weight if there is any specific limitation regards the number of axles on the trailer the tow vehicle manufacturer 's instructions will tell you , but I have never seen such an axle limitation, it has alway just been the maimy towed weight limit regardless of the number of axles.

Regarding the use of an auto box vs manual and towing, again the manufacture will give their specifications and with some models there can be a lower maximum towed weight limit on auto models compared yo manual models - Read the manufacturer's specifications.

However there are two generic types of automatic gearboxes. Historically they used to use a Torque Converter connection to the engine. These are pretty reliable and suit the slow speed needs of caravanners when manoeuvring without burning out clutch plates, Their major problem is they are not the most efficient gearboxes and often give rise to 5 to 10% more fuel being used.

In more recent years more vehicles are fitted with Dual Clutch semi and fully automatic gear boxes. These are normally very good, and improve on the overall efficiency compared to torque converters, and offer much faster gear changes. But when towing and especially at manoeuvring speeds some drivers find clutch plates can run hot. I'd suggest taking a club towing course to lean how to minimise this type of problem. Otherwise at normal driving speeds the modern Dual Clutch boxes are pretty well sorted now.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Re paragraph 4 of the above post the OP hasn’t said what car and age of car is being considered. But with the newer car models those with torque converter epicyclic gearboxes now can have up to nine gear ratios and for a good while torque converter gearboxes have had a mechanical lock up in top gear. So in many instances their efficiency is better than they get credit for. So a 5-10 % reduction in efficiency compared to manual or dual clutch auto transmission isn’t necessarily the case. You also get a better slow speed manoeuvring capability than with dual clutch transmissions and as said above reduced wear on the gearbox clutches when manoeuvring a heavy caravan on to its pitch, When I had a SKODA with DSG I tended to use the caravan mover more to pitch the van, or put it back in storage. And adopted a different style when in stop-start traffic conditions. But mainly it was a case of “ drive and forget”.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
My first reaction when reading the title to this thread was what has an auto box got to do with twin axles until I realised what the OP implied was that what was really meant was the weight of the caravan. However, the Conqueror 645 is not that heavy. There are plenty of single axle caravans that are heavier and these, too, are generally towed with cars that have auto boxes. I've been towing a1800kg single axle caravan with automatics, both of the torque converter and of the dual clutch type, for the past 20 years and never had any issues.

Reactions: otherclive
Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks to all for the input, much appreciated.
As you say, my main concern is the weight of our caravan, not the twin axle aspect.
I've never towed with an automatic so good to hear of your experiences, especially with an 1800kg.

Hopefully we'll be purchasing a 2 or 3 year old Peugeot, so no doubt the autobox will be up to the job.

Thanks again

Jun 1, 2021
Visit site
i used a ssangyong rodius 2.7 se autobox when i towed our twin axle (lunar lexon 640), large car exellent towing didnt even feel the van on the back . car loaded up with eleccy scooter/ wheelchair/wheeled walking unit with seat, dogs, husband and me plus all the other stuff needed. I have a manual now im on my own still capable of towing the van but a manual and i prefer the autobox

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear of the problem. Assuming you are experienced at towing caravans the Traveller should be a reasonable tow car, but not for a beginner. Twin axles will tow better than single axles which at that ratio might be a bit dubious.
With automatics you do need to check if the manufacturers do specify any further needs for modification like a gear box cooler though. As a general rule though they are just as good as manuals for towing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts