Aviemore....Glenmore Park !3th Feb 2009

Jun 18, 2008
Visit site
Its that time of year again and dragging the caravan for 320miles to snow clad hills at Aviemore on Friday 13th(I think it might be )

It is almost cancelled due to too much snow on Site with ice as well,without any grit for the next two weeks.

Is thre anybody out there on the site already or living near who can give me a better view of the conditionson site.

All the family & Airedale are planned on going but "safety" has to prevail.

Going to phone site 12th Feb & decide.

Any other sites near that are open ?

Thanks Terry

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Terry,

Only know what I've seen on the news, that the A9 was closed, but probably open again now and minus 18 a couple of days ago. not sure of current situation, sorry.

We are having a long weekend at Five Roads Caravan Park, Alyth this weekend. Things aren't nearly as bad around Dundee, so pretty sure that we'll have no problems.

This site is only 45 minutes from Glenshee, where I'm sure you'll know there is a ski centre and plenty of coverage.

Thought I'd just offer it as an alternative.

Good luck, hope you get away, somewhere.

Cheers,

Alex.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
Used the A93 a couple of days ago to Braemar from Aberdeen.

The Invercauld Caravan Club site has heated shower blocks etc and a drying room for wet clothes. Sking is supposed to be very good at Glenshee at the moment.

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I should have kept my mouth shut.

It's now snowing with a vengence as I type.

I take back what I said about " no problems ".

Please check road conditions and / or with the site, before travelling.

May 25, 2008
Visit site
and here to Alex Snow is falling quite heavy !!!! Mind you if Terry gets up here it is spectacular at the moment. Ben Nevis in all its glory is a site to behold.

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
Gumbo

One of my favorite sites in the UK, quiet and pitches actualy in the forest, mains hook up and some pitches have TV hook up , although we manage OK with the status 530. Heated washrooms and a short walk to Aviemore which has some lovelly pubs and restuarants. One of my favorites is The bridge Inn , excellent food at reasonable prices. Or for something special in summer try booking the evening wine and dine steam train on the Strathspey Railway. Last time we used it it was apprx

Jun 18, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Alec,watched all webcams for Scottish Highlands last week.such a downer ,decided with 12 inches of snow & no grit on site ,not to go.Far too dangerous to travel with all family.Booked Rotheriemecus for Easter.....Just back from Ravenglass, excellent site,well worth a visit.Showers second to none,as good as home ! Thanks again Terry

Jun 18, 2008
Visit site
Try Rothiemurchus which is on the B970 approx 1 mile from Aviemore, mains hook ups , heated toilet block and only 20 walk to Aviemore.

]http://www.rothiemurchus.net/Pages/Footer/WhereToStay/Caravanning.html
http://www.rothiemurchus.net/Pages/Footer/WhereToStay/Caravanning.html[/quote
Thanks Del & Gumbo.......Thought Safety was the best option. On the Grampion Rd the snow was the worst I have seen for the last six years travelling at the same time of the year,not conditions that i am willing to tow the van,having "off-roaded" at national level for many a year !

Booked Easter for the snow championships,Glenmore had no electric hook-ups left so booked Rotheriemechus,seem very accomodating,booked pal in as well to introduce him to Scotlands best area.

Did Ben Nevis last year as well,highly recommended,& if you are really good at skiing then Glenshee is the best !

Thanks again to all....Just had 5 days at Ravenglass ,one of the best run sites been on,well worth a look but make sure you book as 27 units turned up on Saturday...winter caravanning definately on the "UP"

Jun 18, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Alec,watched all webcams for Scottish Highlands last week.such a downer ,decided with 12 inches of snow & no grit on site ,not to go.Far too dangerous to travel with all family.Booked Rotheriemecus for Easter.....Just back from Ravenglass, excellent site,well worth a visit.Showers second to none,as good as home ! Thanks again Terry
Sorry for typing errror of name Alex...been a buisy week.....Terrry

Dec 27, 2006
Visit site
Dont know if you have been to Rothiemurchus before. There are 2 different types of pitches, gravel at the entrance and Forest pitches further in. We always request one of the Forest pitches , usually the last one on the left or right as you head towards the new toilet block which are right in the forest, the right hand pitch requires a bit of manouvering if you have a large van (we use the mover), left hand pitch is easy to get on. TV reception is OK using the status 530 ariel. Plenty of nice forest walks and cycling.

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Sorry for typing errror of name Alex...been a buisy week.....Terrry
No problem Terrry, ( LOL ! Like it )

Glad you had a good trip anyway mate.

The roads cleared quite quickly, so we had no trouble, but also weren't going very far. Better safe than sorry though. Loadsa snow around, the kids had a ball.

Cheers,

Alec. :wink:

Jun 18, 2008
Visit site
Dont know if you have been to Rothiemurchus before. There are 2 different types of pitches, gravel at the entrance and Forest pitches further in. We always request one of the Forest pitches , usually the last one on the left or right as you head towards the new toilet block which are right in the forest, the right hand pitch requires a bit of manouvering if you have a large van (we use the mover), left hand pitch is easy to get on. TV reception is OK using the status 530 ariel. Plenty of nice forest walks and cycling.
Not sure what pitch we are on. My mate is coming as well,so just glad to get both of us in. Warden seemed friendly so we will make the best of it when we get there. Got some walks to finish off from the last time we were in the Glenmore forest and we are looking forward to walking and staying on the camp site in the Rothiemurchus forest. Thanks for the info, we now have a better idea of what to expect. Cheers, Terry.

Jun 18, 2008
Visit site
We were in Aviemore on Tuesday (17th) - place was green, some skiing but very busy. temps were about 7 to 9 degrees all day. Shame you missed the trip
C'est la Vie.....Looking forward to Easter, as they say what a difference a day makes. I am still watching the webcams.... Terry.

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
C'est la Vie.....Looking forward to Easter, as they say what a difference a day makes. I am still watching the webcams.... Terry.
Your dog will love the walks from the site - make sure you go to Loch an Eileen, you can walk to it along a path on the Aviemore side of the campsite, lovely spot, especially early morning. Also one of the access points to the Lharaig Ghru walk. There is a good walk from the same spot up through Glenmore forest and along Loch Morlich.

Enjoy your trip.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts