awning help

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi all.Away next week for first time cant wait.With your help i am just about ready.Towing not a problem as am truck driver navigation sorted as my wife,s in charge.God help me.The only worry i have is putting up the awning any tips welcome all i hear about is couples falling out.

Mar 9, 2006
Visit site
As long as you make sure that you know where all the poles go, and in what order, you shouldn't have any bother.

Before you head off, lay the poles out in the drive/garden/garage, and decide what goes where. If possible, to simpify matters, mark each of them with coloured tape or similar, to identify where one joins the other.

Then when you are unpacking the awning, again, try and lay them out in or around the positions you are going to use them.

Once you're at the pegging out stage, it's time to relax with a nice beer.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
How big is your awning ? is it new ?

Make sure the awning rail is well lubed before you start, i have a small pair of alloy ladders to do this.....

First time we put ours up, i put all the poles together to see how it would look, and marked all the joints so i knew what whent where, when it came to putting it together.

Take all the poles out & make sure that they are all there as per diagram ( if you have one )

Lay the ground sheet out to protect the awning whilst threading it into the rail

Un-zip all of the panels out, ( it makes it lighter to thread through ) the awning rail & easier to lift when putting the poles in / up

Once the roof is up, put the zipped out panels back in before pegging it down....

Plenty of deep breaths & it will soon be up...

Feb 15, 2009
Visit site
HI! Wayne best advise i could give is have a trial run if possible, try and put awning up before going away then colour code your poles before taking down .makes it a HELL OF A LOT easier. start with puting the poles where you think they should be (on ground),then slide top of awning into awning rail, . if awning has middle pole start there.insert middle/end pole and get otherhalf to hold pole & awning together . then work away from middle/end pole to other end get all poles into position (if windy ) peg down middle/end of awning then peg down both ends and then pegdown next to van (easier to erect with sides/front removed depend on what awning you have )then work your way round inserting side/front panels and peg down as you go . hope you understand if not get back on here then will explain better

cheers Duggie

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
hi wayne, i bought my caravan last october, private buy and all the bells and whistles were included in the deal.

we have been away for 4 weekends since then but haven't had the opportunity of erecting the new awning which came with it.

rather than do this on site for the first time, i have took on board some earlier advice from members and will hitch up some saturday or sunday and take the caravan to a local area where i can practice this, at least then i wont be the focal point for all the curtain peekers on site.

know what you mean by reading about this first time event causing friction, someone calls it "arguement in bag". good luck buddy.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
With acknowledgements to www.caravanadvice.co.uk in addition to the good advice already given Click Here

You could print off the instructions if you want to.

Nov 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi Wayne you can buy awning rail silicon lube from most dealer/caravan shops,but you can use a silicon furniture polish spray just as well. It may also be worth getting an awning rail brush,this makes sure the rail is clean & will not soil the awning

TD

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
had to laugh at this one me and my hushband have had many a word over the awning especially when we have travelled a distance and are both tired and putting it up when things don,t go to plan so we have marked each pole so now know where they all go until they start to fade and then here we go again all my fault i am the mrs by the way lol and we have only got a porch awning god knows what we would be like if we had a full one i know we are,nt the only ones like this i suppose it makes for the fun of caravanning as we can laugh about it after we are all up and sat having a cuppa

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
The best one that I ever did was a few years ago when we'd just bought a Sunncamp porch type awning, the tent like one with the slim fibreglass poles on the outside.

I was working away and Herself kept trying to talk to me but because I'd never tried to put one of this type up before I more or less ignored her.

The thing fitted beautifully but I'd done it inside out!

That's what she'd been trying to tell me all along :0)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts