Awning Light 240/12v

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I'm hopeing the forum boffins will be able to exlain this. Our awning light doesn't work unless we are connected to EH. But the thing is; the light is not powered from the EH it's powered from the on board 12v battery. Why? :unsure:

Are all awning lights wired in this way?

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes they should be wired that way, it's done that way so that you cant leave the awning light on while travelling { thus showing a white light on the caravan which is illegal ]

pmb

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Eh? Am I missing something here but my awning light works without a ehu. What happens if you are at a site without a ehu and want to use the awning in the dark? Surely they all run off 12v.

Mar 30, 2012
Visit site
The awning light will not work when the caravan is connected to the car power as stated above as all 12 volt accessories are disconnected by the incoming 12 volts from the car. (not the fridge this will still be on)

When not connected to the car the awning light should work.

Is the battery OK do the other lights (12volt) work in the caravan?

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Thanks eribanaut! This makes sense, is this because the van is of a foreign make.

If I wasn't clear with my first posting; regardless whether we are coupled up to the car or not our awning light doesn't work. As soon as I connect the EHU lead and turn on the awning light switch inside the van it works. If I then disconnect the on board 12v battery the awning light goes out (EHU still connected). So clearly the light does get it's power from the on board battery but appears to be relay tripped via EHU. :unsure:

I agree with what pmb says, although because our awning light doesn't work unless connected to EHU we have an alternative. :)

And our alternative light most certainly won't be left on while driving; It would look pretty silly driving along with the awning attached. :silly:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts