Awning virgin

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
After a trip to the local dealer on Sunday I (we) are now the proud owners of a few bags that appear heavy enough to contain a body! Yep a new awning! After watching many people struggle, fall out etc when putting these up and I have always resisted getting one. However we will soon be going to Damage Barton CC site in Devon for 10 days and my good lady managed to convince me that it would be nice to have the extra space!

So if you see a couple with a 2004 Bailey Ranger 470/4 and a red MK5 Golf, looking confused under a pile of canvas and poles, PLEASE come and help us! We're not too proud to accept help! I hear it gets easier the more times you do it!

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul

My awning bag feels like its got 50 bodys in it,all the size of Bernard Manning !!!! Your other half is right though(as always) the extra space is worth it ! we,ve only put ours up twice and its easier after the first as you know where all the poles are going !The first time we got in a pickle but had a good laugh and thats the key to not falling out, there is ALWAYS someone there to help and you will definately feel the benefit as regards space ,privacy etc....... Have a great Holiday, let us know what Damage Barton is like !!!!!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul - the first time we put up our awning - nearly 20 years ago - it ended up on the van's roof! Use several bodies to anchor it down, once the roof's in place put the centre poles in and then build out to the side poles. It's a good idea to take some multi-coloured electrician's tape with you to mark which poles fit which poles, next time it'll make the job even easier!!?? Have fun

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Paul - the first time we put up our awning - nearly 20 years ago - it ended up on the van's roof! Use several bodies to anchor it down, once the roof's in place put the centre poles in and then build out to the side poles. It's a good idea to take some multi-coloured electrician's tape with you to mark which poles fit which poles, next time it'll make the job even easier!!?? Have fun
Mike, I'm glad I'm not the only one that's happened to...the fun's in the learning sometimes.Ken.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
Before you go away with your awning, please make sure you have all the necessary poles! We have been caught out with too few when using new awnings (or even second hand ones!).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
have fun with your"body bags" my tip of the day is use a cd or dvd marker pen fine enough to write small 1s 2s 3s on poles once all up and draw a diagram for next time, have fun!!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm agreeably surprised (not, really as I know they are all real nice folk ) at the lack of advice on how to get it up.

The advice to use electrical tape to mark ends of poles is good. Another tip is to un zip anything unzippable (sorry, couldn't resist) and to fit first only the top and then to zip in sides and front afterwards. Also get some decent sized hammers - claw hammers at least and preferably one "club" hammer to get the pegs in easily particularly on gravel hardstandings. Plastic pegs may not be very good on these , so get an equal number of "rock pegs" for these situations. Two claw hammers with different couloured handles (his and hers of course) are recommened - see www.screwfix.com

Finally, practice the tune of the Anvil Chorus - it helps to get the pegs in.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul.

The only point I'd like to make to you is, should the pole need assembling like our Bradcot did, do this before you leave home, it's one less job when you arrive on site and start to put up the awning for the first time.

Carlton.

Mar 16, 2005
Visit site
Hi Paul,

Don't worry about it, we all have to start somewhere! Our first awning was bought on the cheap from a company in Holland. It turned out these were rejects from Bradcot etc with slight flaws. Anyway, I returned from a business trip and we left the next morning for France. As the awning had just been delivered while I was away I had no time to check it out. We got to France and tried to put up the awning BUT..... all the instructions were in Dutch! Might as well have been Double Dutch for all the clue I had. However, as many Brits will have noticed there are an awful lot of our Cloggie friends in the Vendee, so several of our very kind neighbours - all from the land of tulips - promptly put my awning up while I stood around trying to look busy!!

Needless to say my bottle of Grouse only lasted mere seconds once they had finished but it was the start of a great holiday. Cheers to Stoffell & friends !!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts