Bailey Cabrera wall crack

May 12, 2023
Visit site
Bailey Cabrera 2022 crack in outside by door catch
we brought our caravan in August last year and recently found a crack in the outside Ali-tech wall round the door catch. We contacted Bailey to make a claim under the warranty and they are sending some to do a repair.

our concern is can Bailey repair the wall and will the crack appear again in the future, has anyone had this issue and what was the fix.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
we brought our caravan in August last year and recently found a crack in the outside Ali-tech wall round the door catch. We contacted Bailey to make a claim under the warranty and they are sending some to do a repair.

our concern is can Bailey repair the wall and will the crack appear again in the future, has anyone had this issue and what was the fix.
Really no idea if the repair will be 100% successful only time will tell. Some years ago a Hymer model had cracks/wrinkles around the doors that were repaired but as to the longevity oof the repairs I did not see any further updates. Not a nice position to be in with a new caravan.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site

Hi David, and welcome to the forum.

I had a Valencia 2011, which had a wheel detachment and further vicious treatment by poorly trained French recovery people.

This resulted in a lot of work needing to be done. After this was completed, the van developed a tiny crease above the door. The insurance thought it would be a cosmetic fix. Both Chipping Sodbury caravans and Bailey disagreed. They said the caravan's strength was compromised.

The result was a whole new side. Chipping Sodburry did a fantastic job. (When Bailey sent them the correct side!).

John

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
I have no experience of repairing a Bailey caravan but quite a bit of experience with automotive paints and various composite and non-ferrous materials.

I have no doubt that the repair will be invisible, but push for a warranty on the longevity of the repair as any paint work done in the area (if necessary) will possibly age differently to the rest of the caravan resulting in the repaired area becoming visible over time. Get (in writing) their recommendation for cleaning and polishing as some polishes are too abrasive and can reveal the repaired area over time,

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
The side is GRP skinned, so it's coloured Gel-coat not paint.

As for the longevity of the repair I would ask for written proof as the skin is only about 1.5 - 2.0 mm thick so difficult to see how it can be "repaired" effectively (but I have no direct experience so could be wrong on that)

Reactions: GaryB
Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
The side is GRP skinned, so it's coloured Gel-coat not paint.

Some GRP repairs are invisible but I've seen some done using paint which just doesn't age the same as the gel coat. Like you say, a written guarantee for the REPAIR is critical.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This might sound like a well worn record to the long term users of the forum, but this is typical case where putting the dealer on notice of a CRA action could pay dividends, becasue under the CRA the seller has one chance to repair a fault, and if it proves to be unsuccessful the customer can force the seller to refund the purchase price (less reasonable usage costs) or to negotiate compensation.

Read up about bow to use the CRA and check out the Consumer Associations (Which? magazine) web site for practical ways to use the legislation.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
This might sound like a well worn record to the long term users of the forum, but this is typical case where putting the dealer on notice of a CRA action could pay dividends, becasue under the CRA the seller has one chance to repair a fault, and if it proves to be unsuccessful the customer can force the seller to refund the purchase price (less reasonable usage costs) or to negotiate compensation.

Read up about bow to use the CRA and check out the Consumer Associations (Which? magazine) web site for practical ways to use the legislation.
Why would they need to do any of the above at this stage as caravan is under a year old and it seems from the first post that Bailey have agreed to do the repair? Panels come with a one year warranty.

However I think that maybe Bailey should be replacing the panel and not doing just a repair on a caravan so new and is only 9 months old. How much usage would the caravan have had in those 9 months?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Why would they need to do any of the above at this stage as caravan is under a year old and it seems from the first post that Bailey have agreed to do the repair? Panels come with a one year warranty.

However I think that maybe Bailey should be replacing the panel and not doing just a repair on a caravan so new and is only 9 months old. How much usage would the caravan have had in those 9 months?
The OP was asking about the reliability of the repair and what might happen in the future.

Clearly if the fault were to reoccur, it raises the spector of it being something that's going to resist being reliably repaired yet again. At least with the CRA action the OP has some come back should the repair fail 366 days after the work.

Just becasue something is covered by a manufacturer's warranty does not preclude the use of the CRA. As we know the CRA is there just for this type of issue. The seller has supplied faulty goods, and that is the breach of contract.

Assuming its not been damaged, the amount of use is not a factor. Quite simply it should not have failed. The question is why did it fail?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
As per Mr Plods post the skin is GRP and as caravan is only 9 months old, the panel should probably be replaced and not repaired?

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
For reassurance, I have a 2019 Bailey Cabrera and no issues whatsoever (apart from the stupid webbing solution to keep the sliding door open when travelling - but that was changed under warranty)

Aug 28, 2021
Visit site
One point of law that appears to be rarely ever mentioned here in PC, is that the wording CRA expects a full fix and it's up to the dealer to decide on the appropriate fix, (as far as I believe ).

If the dealer decides on a fix that in actual fact only turns out to be a temporary fix in the event, doesn't the customer have a secondary case (i.e. cause of action) in the tort of negligence?

The whole point of the this is that for breach of CRA the 6 years limitation starts from the date of the fault; ie the date the faulty caravan was delivered (unless the dealer took steps to conceal facts relevant to a customer 's claim - in which case the 6 year clock is extended for unconscionable conduct.).

But in the tort of negligence a 3 year clock starts only from the date this supposed "repair" fails i.e. the date the damage is visible from the poor repair work that the dealer was responsible for fixing completely, but didn't.

Happy to be corrected if wrong.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There is a great deal of confusion about the length of time you may have to make a claim through the CRA.

As with so many technical issues discussed on the forum, the reader has no way of knowing the accuracy of any information given, and this issue of how long you have to make a claim is one such issue.

With every document I have seen from traceable reliable sources, the CRAtime limits always have been related to the point where the customer has taken possession of the goods.

I suggest you read the Consumer Associations web based pages about how you can practically use the CRA :- here

With no disrespect intended I have greater confidence in Which?'s description and explanation than many we see in the forum, however well intentioned they may be.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
One point of law that appears to be rarely ever mentioned here in PC, is that the wording CRA expects a full fix and it's up to the dealer to decide on the appropriate fix, (as far as I believe ).

If the dealer decides on a fix that in actual fact only turns out to be a temporary fix in the event, doesn't the customer have a secondary case (i.e. cause of action) in the tort of negligence?

The whole point of the this is that for breach of CRA the 6 years limitation starts from the date of the fault; ie the date the faulty caravan was delivered (unless the dealer took steps to conceal facts relevant to a customer 's claim - in which case the 6 year clock is extended for unconscionable conduct.).

But in the tort of negligence the 6 year clock starts only from the date this supposed "repair" fails i.e. the date the damage is visible from the poor repair work that the dealer was responsible for fixing completely, but didn't.

Happy to be corrected if wrong.
I can perehaps understand a repair on a caravan that is a year or three old again depending on the nature of the repair, but on a 9 month old caravan?

Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i.e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

Goods are of satisfactory quality if they reach the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory, taking into account the price and any description. Aspects of quality include fitness for purpose, freedom from minor defects, appearance and finish, durability and safety.

Unfortunately until Bailey have done an inspection of the caravan and come to a decision all we can do is offer guesses on the outcome. They may state that due to the OP slamming the door up against the catch, this is what has caused the crack and it is now the responsibility of the consumer or the dealership to resolve.

Before offering any further advice perhaps best to wait until Bailey make a decision? However at least the consumer or OP is prepared for the outcome either way.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
If the OP returns, he really should be looking at the structural stability of his van. My Alu-tech only had a faint 3 inch crease, also around the door. And a cosmetic repair was ruled out.

See my post #3

John

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
We need to understand how the OP caravan GRP skin panel is constructed at inception. I understand, will be corrected, the old ABS Panels were single skin. The later GRP were preformed and included other internal layers and insulation. 15 years ago Bailey were delivering upwards of 10,new ABS panels to their dealers to replace the cracked ones. GRP is much tougher .

Why has it cracked? What about the hidden collateral damage? Why are they repairing rather than replacing as they did with ABS?
Will such a repair result in a diminution in market value in the long term?

Prof has cogently explained that CRA is the overriding tool available. You do not have to go with the Bailey Warranty. Your case is prima facie against the Dealer. He /she legally cannot force you to go with the Manufacturers Warranty. CRA 2015 in Kings English says no party can in English Law modify your Statutory Rights under CRA.
I’d want the Dealer to supply a temporary caravan for the duration of repair,.
Pay for,collection and delivery.
Ensure the entire damaged , defective panel is totally removed and replaced with new , no half way house.
It is high time us caravan owners stood fast and made Dealers pay exactly what they are liable for under CRA

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
We need to understand how the OP caravan GRP skin panel is constructed at inception. I understand, will be corrected, the old ABS Panels were single skin. The later GRP were preformed and included other internal layers and insulation. 15 years ago Bailey were delivering upwards of 10,new ABS panels to their dealers to replace the cracked ones. GRP is much tougher .

Why has it cracked? What about the hidden collateral damage? Why are they repairing rather than replacing as they did with ABS?
Will such a repair result in a diminution in market value in the long term?

Prof has cogently explained that CRA is the overriding tool available. You do not have to go with the Bailey Warranty. Your case is prima facie against the Dealer. He /she legally cannot force you to go with the Manufacturers Warranty. CRA 2015 in Kings English says no party can in English Law modify your Statutory Rights under CRA.
I’d want the Dealer to supply a temporary caravan for the duration of repair,.
Pay for,collection and delivery.
Ensure the entire damaged , defective panel is totally removed and replaced with new , no half way house.
It is high time us caravan owners stood fast and made Dealers pay exactly what they are liable for under CRA
My Alu-tech was 2015. Are you saying that the construction has fundamentally changed?

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
In a large part the General Public, do not understand their consumer rights, and how the CRA makes the retailer responsible for the reliability and quality of the goods they sell. it is in the retailers financial interest not to alert customers to their legal rights, and as long as that is the case retailers will actively steer claims towards the manufacturer's warranty schemes.

At the risk of being repetitive, I think all retailers should be obliged to have a prominent notice on display that explains the consumers rights, and that in the event of a customer complaint they must ascertain and record if the consumer wishes to use the CRA processor the manufacturer's warranty.

If the law changed so that by default retailer's had to assume a product failure would be managed under the CRA rather than manufacturers warranty, then to reduce their liability they would be more careful about where the source their stock from and bring more pressure to bear on the manufacture's to improve product quality and reliability.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
My Alu-tech was 2015. Are you saying that the construction has fundamentally changed?

John
No. Just making the point about earlier ABS and current GRP. Bailey under warranty replaced cracked ABS Why aren’t they doing the same with GRP? Seems a cheap way out to me

Aug 28, 2021
Visit site
There is a great deal of confusion about the length of time you may have to make a claim through the CRA.

As with so many technical issues discussed on the forum, the reader has no way of knowing the accuracy of any information given, and this issue of how long you have to make a claim is one such issue.

With every document I have seen from traceable reliable sources, the CRAtime limits always have been related to the point where the customer has taken possession of the goods.

I suggest you read the Consumer Associations web based pages about how you can practically use the CRA :- here

With no disrespect intended I have greater confidence in Which?'s description and explanation than many we see in the forum, however well intentioned they may be.

Indeed, and not only relying on the Which?pages but also joining Which?Legal (@9/month) seems a very advantageous thing to do, in our view, Which?Legal excel at applying the precise law to ones particular case as cases turn can on particular facts,

Buckman is so right on this. We have found Which?Legal to be more than worth the cost.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
No. Just making the point about earlier ABS and current GRP. Bailey under warranty replaced cracked ABS Why aren’t they doing the same with GRP? Seems a cheap way out to me

I understand. My remark about the possible need to renew a whole panel due to a very small crease or crack only applies to Alu-tech construction. In my case, Chipping Sodbury had no problem in saying the structural integrity had failed, and Bailey agreed with them. I dont know if the side panels of Alu-tech vans are grp, abs or aluminium. But the issue is not the cosmetic repair, but the reason the panel creased or split in the first place.

John

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts