Bailey Pageant Bretagne, Excess Condensation

Apr 11, 2007
Visit site
Has anyone experienced problems with severe condensation in the Bailey Pageant Bretagne Series 5 (6 berth). We are arguing with our dealer at the moment as we are unable to use the fixed bunks at the rear of the caravan due to the excess condensation running down the walls and wetting the bedclothes and matresses. I would be interested to hear whether or not anyone else has experienced similar problems.

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Not familiar with that particular model. There was some discussion on here a month or two back about Baileys decision not to fit condensation boards on some of their newer models,including those with fixed beds. Baileys did agree to fit these free of charge under warranty. They supplied and fitted mine when it was in for annual service in January. Is there condensation boards on your fixed bunks? A forum search of "condensation boards" or "condensation" should lead you to the posts at that time.

Robert

Apr 11, 2007
Visit site
Not familiar with that particular model. There was some discussion on here a month or two back about Baileys decision not to fit condensation boards on some of their newer models,including those with fixed beds. Baileys did agree to fit these free of charge under warranty. They supplied and fitted mine when it was in for annual service in January. Is there condensation boards on your fixed bunks? A forum search of "condensation boards" or "condensation" should lead you to the posts at that time.

Robert
Thanks for your reply, I have read the previous discussions and think that Bailey have a problem with condensation in general and have had for some time!

There are condensation boards around one end of the top bunk but nothing at the other end. The ski door at one end of the bottom bunk causes a major problem as it would not be pratical to fit the boards here. Seems to me like there is a severe ventillation problem - I have never seen anything like it in any other model of caravan I have owned! Bailey say that people cause condensation, not caravans and suggest that we sleep with the windows on night vent (which we have done and it didn't make any difference!). I am interested to hear other opinions on the issue as we are not at all happy with the situation.

Jul 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi Heather,

We were about to buy a new Bailey Bretagne last year but after reading on several forums about the condensation problems we chose an Abbey Aventura 330 and have not had any problems. The problem is obviously widespread and well known and would constitute a manufacturing defect that your dealer should recognise. What their cure would be is slightly more difficult.

With regards to the bailey, I thought they had solved the problem by using slatted beds in the bunk section. What model year is yours?

Reagrds

Simon

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry to read of your problems with condensation

We have the Oklahoma and no condensation problems but then there are only 2 of us in the van breathing out water vapour etc.

Do you sleep with the blown air on as this would help.

Truma used to do a kit with vents like car demisters that sent warm air up the sides and something like that or a low power fan heater/heaters in the worse places might be worth trying.

Our friends had this problem under a bay window and used a tubular low wattage heater that cured it for them

Good luck with Bailey and in finding a solution

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Sorry to read of your problems with condensation

We have the Oklahoma and no condensation problems but then there are only 2 of us in the van breathing out water vapour etc.

Do you sleep with the blown air on as this would help.

Truma used to do a kit with vents like car demisters that sent warm air up the sides and something like that or a low power fan heater/heaters in the worse places might be worth trying.

Our friends had this problem under a bay window and used a tubular low wattage heater that cured it for them

Good luck with Bailey and in finding a solution
http://www.trumauk.com/products/heating/fans-overview/ducting/

Jul 12, 2005
Visit site
Heather

Contact bailey direct and ask them to send you the condensation boads. They are very easy to fit and solve the wet bed problem.

We did have the issue with our carolina but had the boadrs fitted and turned the heating down a bit at night. This fixed it completly. Also, Air conditioning (if its an option) will remove all the moisture that causes this.

Steve

Apr 11, 2007
Visit site
Appreciate all comments, it helps to see different viewpoints. We do sleep with the blown air heating on low. The Bailey is the 2007 model, I would have thought that by now Bailey would have addressed the issues with condensation in their vans. My main concern is that we have spent alot of money on a new caravan and have been told that only way to cure the problem is to install a roof vent and additional condensation - even after doing this the problem may still not be solved. Is it just me or would anyone else be unhappy with having to modify a new caravan to make it fit for purpose?

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Heather,

No its not just you, I too would certainly not be happy with the problem you are describing in a 2007 van.

The only things I could suggest are:

1) contact Baileys direct, I have only needed to contact them once by email and must admit that I received a very speedy response.

2) This is very unlikely but I suppose it could be possible, could there be a water ingress problem in your van? a joint seal faulty somewhere. For all the time it would take I'm sure your dealer wouldn't object to doing a damp check to rule this out.

3) Are you a member of one of the two big clubs? Some years ago I had a problem with another manufacturer getting repairs done under warranty. They agreed the repairs were due under warranty out but couldn't/wouldn't give a date for doing it despite numerous phone calls from both my dealer and myself. More out of frustration and perhaps desperation I phoned the Caravan Club to ask their advice. They phoned the manufacture on my behalf, don't know what was said but two days later I had a date for repairs to be done. Worth a try anyway.

Good luck.

Robert

Apr 11, 2007
Visit site
I have to say I was disappointed by Bailey's response, they were less than helpful. We have had the van checked for damp and it was clear. We have sought legal advice from the camping and caravanning club who said that we have no obligation to allow the dealer to make modification and that we are within our rights to reject the van. We are awaiting a response to our letter of rejection. Think we may give Bailey vans a miss next time!

Mar 20, 2006
Visit site
I was sorry to hear of the problems with your Bailey. We have a 2006 Bailey Bretagne and this is the first I have heard of these sorts of problems. We have not had any of the problems with condensation you are describing - and have slept with 5 inside the caravan at times. Only occasionally some slight condensation on top rear window.

I don't know what the condensation boards look like so I cannot say if they are fitted on my model, but the beds are made up of slats.

Hope you have a resolution with your problem.

Mike

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts