Bailey Senator Oklahoma - Noseweight - this high?

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I wonder if I might enquire of others who own the Bailey Senator as I have discovered that my noseweight is 95kg+; and this before the van is loaded up for a trip. (No wonder my Mercedes C250T was struggling; it has a max of 75kg..!)

My new Sorento has a max of 112kg but I appear to be almost on the max before I even start. Does this make sense to you?

John

(BTW I do have a new 6kg cylinder in the front storage area immediatelt behind the A frame).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
John, It makes sense to me but may not be much comfort to you. As caravans get heavier so does the nose weight. In times of old it was normally considered that the noseweight would be approx 7% of the MPTLM. I understand that this might not be strictly true now days but as you have found an ex factory noseweight of 90-100 kg is common.

In my opinion the nosewight should be quoted with the spare wheel,two gas bottles of the designed size and a 85AH minimum battery in the locations provided by the manufacturer. This would enable prospective buyers to make a judgement as to its suitability for their tow vehicle. I realise that adjusting the load and distribution of what is carried may help but its asking a bit much to adjust for 25 Kg or more.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a Wyoming, just had it's first birthay, and with the Senator I can leave both gas bottles in their correct position and all my little bits and pieces right there with them in the front locker. It's the first van I have been able to do that with and makes setting up and putting away just that little bit easier. However all the heavy stuff cooker, fridge, bed etc, are on one side of the van, makes me wonder what it would be like to tow if I had a lighter car.

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
How are you weighing the noseweight? There was thread somewhere that mentioned inaccurate noseweight gauges - some of them were reading 20kg out!

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Hello Paul; well I have one of those Yellow spring measures which works by loweing the hitch onto the measure ad reading off when it reaches its max. For mine it went off the scale which si 90kg I believe. We then tried a friend's noseweight guage which reads to 100kg; it went to a shade under 100kg. So they're both in the same ball park. Heavy whichever way we look at it ....

John

Nov 7, 2005
Visit site
Hello Paul; well I have one of those Yellow spring measures which works by loweing the hitch onto the measure ad reading off when it reaches its max. For mine it went off the scale which si 90kg I believe. We then tried a friend's noseweight guage which reads to 100kg; it went to a shade under 100kg. So they're both in the same ball park. Heavy whichever way we look at it ....

John
I used a cheap set of Argos bathroom scales (

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts