Bailey Unicorn Valencia

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As there is a correct way and lots of wrong ways to use a damp meter, who's to say the person the main dealer tasked with carrying out the test did it properly? The job may have been given to the apprentice, or the work experience guy. The person doing the test should be trained to do it ... properly!

Always insist on having a record of the readings, and I would suggest the name (and job title) of the person who did it. A responsible company with real customer focus should not be afraid to do this,

There is of course a potential financial reason for a dealer to be blind to damp problems during a service on an in warranty caravan, if damp is found that requires remedial work, the dealer will be given the job but only paid warranty work rates by the manufacturer. These warranty rates are usually much lower than normal hourly rates so marginal readings could be deliberately ignored.

The reduced rate for warranty work is quite a common theme across many industries, and it has been known for a dealership for a particular brand of product to get into financial difficulties becasue of the unreliability of the manufacturers products creating an unprecedented workload.

So an independent service guy does not have the same financial constraint, so is more likely to find those spots that might be deliberately overlooked by a main dealer.

Sep 11, 2005
Visit site
I have just had a phone call from the dealer to ask me to take the van in next week to have the damp repairs done they need the van for two weeks and hopefully this will be the end of the problem (says me with baited breath and fingers crossed) so we will soon be able to make a early return to our favourite pastime :( :(

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Rod, does it go from the Dealers to Baileys , like my mates one, as Baileys, after a month said the dealer could not do the repair as all the panel had to come off.
Which ever way, good luck, hope to see you on siten somewhere some time.
Hutch.

Sep 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Hutch,
the dealer has told me they have received the parts required to do the work from Bailey and having seen there workshops and workforce I am fairly confident that they are more than capable of doing the work required fingers crossed lol. :)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Attached File SMF28016021107350.pdf
All caravans leak. Some sooner than others regardless of manufacturer.

My van, a Unicorn Valencia, was new in 2014 so this was it's second service. I got rid of it for a different make shortly after this

Sorry I can't get the pdf to download ....It's the service sheet showing between 38% - 100% damp all around the 'van at floor level

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The advantage of a leak in a Bailey if you can call it that is that it does not have a wooden frame to rot. The downside is if not dealt in time with it could damage the floor though.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Raywood said:
The advantage of a leak in a Bailey if you can call it that is that it does not have a wooden frame to rot. The downside is if not dealt in time with it could damage the floor though.

Call what? A Bailey a Bailey or a leak a leak :unsure:

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Andy-H said:
We bought a 2011 Valencia last year and are so far getting on really well with it. Whilst i was researching them, damp in the front two lockers is relatively commonplace with them, due to rainwater tracking in via the front handles so as Rod said, get the inner trays out to check for damp.

The transfer of the warranty cost less than £40 and the original owner bought the additional 4 years so we're covered for a while yet.

What did Bailey ask for as evidence of a full service record, to enable the transfer?

Sep 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Hutch,
And so, yesterday morning I received a call from the dealer to say that all the work to fix the damp problem on my Madrid was finished and ready for collection so after a quick lunch we set off to collect the van (only 2 weeks later than the quoted) On arrival I checked the two front side lockers and found the floor had been replaced and sealed satisfactory, I then checked the gas locker to find to my dismay the floor still thick with black wet slime so I returned to service reception just managing to keep my cool and there comment was well it is usually only the side lockers that have a problem! So why have I paid them £51.00 for a full damp check prior to the work being done ? They then told me the will need to keep the van for another week or so, as you can guess we are none to happy .
So once again I urge all you Unicorn 1 owners get your screwdrivers out and remove the plastic inserts and check for damp

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I think I would be going through the roof of the dealers, I cannot believe their response to you.
Keep us updated.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Most distressing news Rod.
Especially as you were impressed with the Dealers workshop :eek:hmy:
Sadly I had a bad Dealer experience four tears ago and now always use a local qualified mobile chap. But like you body warranty work is the province of the main Dealer.
Whilst you cannot name and shame on here there is nothing stopping you reporting the matter to Bailey HO. Afterall I assume they are paying the bill :woohoo:

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Dusty, I complained about our dealer directly to Bailey and tried to get our local workshop registered for warranty work. Their response was to tell me where the next nearer dealers were. :angry:

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Martin24 said:
Dusty, I complained about our dealer directly to Bailey and tried to get our local workshop registered for warranty work. Their response was to tell me where the next nearer dealers were. :angry:

T & Cs I guess Martin :angry:

Jan 14, 2017
Visit site
xtrailman said:
What did Bailey ask for as evidence of a full service record, to enable the transfer?

We had to send a copy of the service log showing it was done on time each year by an authorised service agent and proof of purchase along with the £35. It took about 2-3 weeks to come back to us.

Sep 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi Hutch,
So today I finally get the caravan back, on arrival at the dealers I was greeted with a weak apology for the delay, as this was due to circumstances beyond their control. NO THIS WAS THERE POOR AFTER SALES SEVICE. I hinted at some good will gesture might me forthcoming and they offered me a 10% discount off a service this would be £45.00 more than my mobile mechanic charges and they failed to do a damp test correctly, I guess we have to put up with these problems as there does not seem to be any alternative when faced with warranty claims

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Rod, well that was quicker than my freinds one, I think if the old grey cells remember he was without the van for 6 months, He asked about compensation for non use, Got a big Not a chance. He also asked if he needed to have it serviced as Bailey had just had it all to bit, Yes came the reply, at his cost again, Our Mobile chap done it cheaper than the dealer.
At least you have it back ready for the summer season.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
As there is a correct way and lots of wrong ways to use a damp meter, who's to say the person the main dealer tasked with carrying out the test did it properly? The job may have been given to the apprentice, or the work experience guy. The person doing the test should be trained to do it ... properly!

Prof you are so correct I was having a 3% higher reading than our mobile eng, then realised I was using the mode for wood and not Construction, using the construction mode I got he same readings as the Proffesional.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts