Bailey Unicorn Valencia

Nov 19, 2016
Visit site
We are thinking about purchasing a 2011 version of the Bailey Unicorn Valencia caravan and am asking what the members think about this van, the layout is good for us.
I have asked the dealer whether the 10yr water ingress is in place i.e.: servicing and checks done, I am awaiting his reply. This would mean that i would get a warranty until 2021 which is only 4 yrs away, wondering whether it might be better to get a 2013 model which would obviously give me an extra couple of years. What is the water ingress history on this van ?
The other question must be would a 2013 be less well built than a 2011 version. Many thanks.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Whilst I am a Bailey fan I must say they get it wrong.
The mk1 Unicorn was a radical development introducing Alu-tec.The Mk2 was imo a design mistake. Cubic inches were wasted on asthetics. See the circular
shower for example. The mk3 now uses the full shower volume. There are many other design failings along these lines.
Is there such a thing as a leak proof caravan?
Buying used you should be able to see the fsh which should include a detailed annual damp test with % readings.

Nov 19, 2016
Visit site
so just to clarify the 2011 is a mk1 and has not been designed well, so the 2013 mk 3 could be a better option for us ?
I shall be checking with the dealer for fsh.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Holidaysforever said:
so just to clarify the 2011 is a mk1 and has not been designed well, so the 2013 mk 3 could be a better option for us ?
I shall be checking with the dealer for fsh.
Sorry. I've corrected a typo.The Mk2 was the dog for me. They still make the mk3 so that tells you something.

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
Just been reading on another forum a post by someone who was looking at a 2017 model Unicorn in the rain today, noticed rainwater dripping onto the mattress. Says it all really...

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Check when looking at used all tech that the ten year part of the warranty is transferrable to a new owner. The final 3 years (if paid for) may not be. I'm not sure on this. If the warranty was not extended new then, it will only be seven years for later models.

Dusty Dog is in my opinion correct on the models and how they developed especially where use of space is concerned. The only issues that I have become aware of with the mk3 are to do with the new roof join (previously there wasn't one) towards the rear of the van allowing for the more aerodynamic rear curve and also the seat squabs.

Although the main reason we changed to a Bailey was the practicality of our particular layout for us, the huge front window is the biggest aesthetic plus point in our opinion. Whilst we don't like the look of the front of our van on the outside we love the view and light from the front. It would take something very special to draw us away from the unimpeded front view. All other manufacturers have a shelf are the like between the front window and panoramic sunroof, this ruins the view when you are used to a Bailey front end.

As yet our van (Pegasus GT65) with the one piece roof has had no damp or leaking issues.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Buying used you should be able to see the fsh which should include a detailed annual damp test with % readings.

A "leak proof caravan" - - well that would a novelty, :lol:

Some caravans may be Leak Free but that does not mean as they age they will remain that way. :unsure:

Nov 19, 2016
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Dustydog said:

A "leak proof caravan" - - well that would a novelty, :lol:

Some caravans may be Leak Free but that does not mean as they age they will remain that way. :unsure:

Thanks for the reply.
It seems to me that all we can do is do the best we can to purchase a leak-proof van, someone said that the Vanmasters have a lifetime warranty on water ingress, not sure if that is true !!

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Yes Vanmaster do offer a lifetime water ingress warranty. However it is subject to terms and conditions which I believe includes a 6 yearly re seal.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Holidaysforever said:
It seems to me that all we can do is do the best we can to purchase a leak-proof van, someone said that the Vanmasters have a lifetime warranty on water ingress, not sure if that is true !!

No caravan including Vanmaster's are "Leak Proof". If a caravan were leak proof it would not need regular inspections or resealing - ever!

The best a manufacturer can do is to offer a warranty that provided certain inspections an maintenance have been carried out correctly, if a leak does occur they will repair it in line with the T&C of their warranty.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
A lifetime guarantee is in fact only for the lifetime of the manufacturer. While Vanmaster have a good reputation for quality, who is to say if they will be here in ten years time or any other firm for that matter.
I suppose a reseal at six years should be within your budget if you can afford to buy one in the first place but it does seem a bit drastic.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We bought a new Unicorn Valencia Series 3 in 2015. We love the layout especially the bathroom which uses the space well and the front lounge as the sofas are long enough for single beds (5ft 11 and 6 ft).
As far as leaks are concerned, it is too soon to say, but the damp testing on the first annual service was fine.
Hope this helps
Mel

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
We have the 2011 Valencia, had it since new. Bought it in Oct 2010 and it has the full 10yr water ingress warranty. The 6yr with additional, paid for, 4yrs warranty came into force in I believe March 2011. We've had it serviced and damp checked at the supplying dealer since new.

Yes we've had a few problems the biggest being water ingress through the offside wheel arch.

Most things have been sorted out under warranty.

We've looked at newer versions but quiet honestly we prefer to keep what we have. We love it.

Mike

Sep 11, 2005
Visit site
we purchased a 2011 Unicorn Madrid in 2015 with the remaining

6years warranty that was transferred for us by the dealer we have just found damp in the front and side lockers 75% this was found by my mobile service engineer who removes the plastic inserts to do a proper damp check (do all workshops do the same,) the van has been returned to the dealer for repairs.So my advice to all owners of this year of manufacturing is to check your lockers after removing said inserts,(only a few screws) The cause of the damp is water leaking through the grab handles and can be clearly seen as a black mark running down the inside of the front locker. We love the van and hope to keep for many years if this fix is the only problem we have

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
My 2011 Valencia is now for sale.
It has had damp to the from lockers but via the floor bolts, not the grab handles. Its been factory repaired in the first year i owned it.

Its fully serviced and the 10 year warranty can be transferred, so pm me if interested.

All three versions of the Unicorn can have ingress issues.
U1 front lockers.
U2 leaks from shower.
U3 leaks from roof joint.
But none of them will retain water into the walls and roof, no wood.

Jan 14, 2017
Visit site
We bought a 2011 Valencia last year and are so far getting on really well with it. Whilst i was researching them, damp in the front two lockers is relatively commonplace with them, due to rainwater tracking in via the front handles so as Rod said, get the inner trays out to check for damp.

The transfer of the warranty cost less than £40 and the original owner bought the additional 4 years so we're covered for a while yet.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
A friend of mine has just had a totaly new foor fitted by Bailey , under Warranty, on his Valencia Mk1. Due to water ingress from the handles into the front lockers. The Main dealers in Northampton, hadn't noticed it, but maybe it hadn't leaked at that time. A mobile workshop engineer, Mark from Caravan Mechanic, near Milton Keynes did though on the last service. .

Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
We have 2015 Valencia best layout for us and lovely caravan.
No damp on first service and it's due to go in for second service in February so fingers crossed.

Sep 11, 2005
Visit site
Strange that your friends damp was found by a mobile mechanic as was mine after all pervious services done by main dealers,!!! He all so said that with a reading so high he doubts as to whether the plastic inserts had been removed prior to any previous damp checks what with 2016 being a fairly dry year and the amount of black slime that had accumulated, so all like van owners get your screw drivers out and get checking (only a few minutes job)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Rod, many people are able to check the basics of leacking, ie, split rubber washers, etc on handles, others unfortunatley dont , and think their Caravans are fine for many years. Without water ingress.
Even new models of caravan have problems so we all have to check on our vans all the time. Thats why I check mine with a damp meter ever time out, .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts