Bailey Vendee

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

we are thinking of changing our 2004 Ranger 510/L for a new Vendee, mainly for the fixed bed - both me and my wife have weak backs and a fortnight away is about our limit on the slat bed.

There's only the 2 of us and we've tried to weigh up the differences - we will give up a roomy bathroom and dinette which we use for meals unless its warm enough to sit outside, but we would still have a walk-in shower which is important to us as we like to stay on CLs where possible.

Does anyone have the Vendee and if so, what are the plus and minus points please.

Regards

Ken

Sep 11, 2005
Visit site
hi Ken

I have the new Vendee series 5, so far this year I have been away 8 times with no problems whatsoever. After previously owning the pageant Loire I must admit that the washroom in the Vendee does seem a tad small, but it does have a walk in shower. Apart from the bathroom my only other gripe is the size of the television shelf in the lounge area, even a small portable perches quite precariously. These gripes apart, the bed is very comfortable and because it runs across the width of the van does not rob the lounge area of valuable space. There is plenty of storage space, especially under the bed (be careful not to carry heave items here when in transit). The van is wonderfully put together with all the bells and whistles as standard. Watch the noseweight, With just the gas bottle and a few odds and ends in the locker it hovers around the 90kg mark. I hope this helps, go ahead and buy, enjoy.

glenn

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Glenn

many thanks for your reply. Looks like we will go for one. Anyone want to buy a 2004 Bailey Ranger 510/L fitted with tyrons and Alko 2004 stabilizer for a good price?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We looked at the Vendee last year, and if it weren't for the fact that we upgraded our car, we would have got one. We had Moselle and didn't want to give up the shower, but also wanted that fixed bed. In the end we went for the Senator Wyoming, the best of all worlds, not looked back since (someone nicked our towing mirrors) so if you can stretch to it, have a look. If not, you're going to be happy with the Vendee anyway.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a Provence which is a Vendee with twin dinettes. Previously had end bathroom Abbeys. The way round the TV shelf issue is to buy an LCD TV. The rest of the van is as written by the journalists, and as Glenn says the separate shower is a boon.

Noseweight is around 75kgs, but some judicious re-arranging may be necessary. Buy one and enjoy the feeling of space in such a big van.

Andrew

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Ken

We bought a new series 5 Vendee in March this year. We have been away 10 times and toured all over Scotland. We bought the Vendee just for use by the two of us. The fixed bed is absolutely super comfort and for whatever reason we sleep better than at home. Using the toilet is a bit tight but then we only use it in a real emergency. The shower cubicle is quite acceptable with a very good flow of water , hot and cold. The fridge is massive and includes a freezer section. The MTPLM is excellent for a clubman class van of this size. We love it and the excellent build quality endorsed by the 6 year body guarantee. It tows extremely well and is very stable behind our Sorento.

Good Luck. Alan R

Nov 1, 2005
Visit site
We have a Provence that we bought this June (our first caravan). The noseweight comments really hit home!! I have a 6kg gas bottle, Maxview TV aerial and mast, gas spanner, 20m co-ax cable and 10ltr water carrier to fill the toilet and we're at 75kg noseweight. The spare 3.9kg gas bottle has to travel over the axle.

Great caravan though!!!

Alan

Jun 24, 2005
Visit site
We had a Provence but swopped it for an Indiana as we found the Provence too tight for space.

A small tip, why carry a seperate water container "to fill the toilet". With both the Provence and the Indiana I remove the shower head, lean out of the window, turn the shower on and fill the toilet that way. Much easier than trying to fill it from a container.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi

thought I'd give you an update. We did look at the Vendee but we didn't like the layout, especially the lack of space around the kitchen area, important to us as we both like cooking.

We found out about the new Pageant Burgundy through the magazine and its based on the layout of the Indiana. We went and sat in the Indiana which is more expensive than I want to pay and too heavy for us, but the layout was great for us.

So, we ordered the Burgundy about 4 weeks ago without seeing it. We've since seen it at the Malvern show and its on view at Earls Court.

Delivery is in mid March and we can't wait!

Regards

Ken

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Dear Ken

We have a Bailey Pageant Vendee and have been very pleased with it. Ours is a 2004 version so not the new one. We like the L shaped lounge, separate shower and the fixed bed. As the bed isn't cut away there is plenty of room for both of us. As the bed is next to the door its useful to put things on, and the storage area underneath is brilliant. As the Vendee is our first caravan it's a bit difficult for me to state its advantages - we just take them for granted! We usually only use it as a 2 berth but have had other adults using the front beds on occasion and it didn't feel overcrowded. For us, the disadvantages are that when someone is standing in front of the sink it is a tight squeeze to move past (but my husband is large!)making access to the bathroom and the wardrobe awkward sometimes. Overall though we are very happy with the van.

Judith

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Judith

thanks for your comments.

My backache has made us trade in our BaileyRanger 510/4L which we were pleased with apart from the bed. Like you, we liked the 'L' shaped lounge and the end bathroom. So does someone else - the dealer has already sold our Ranger.

We would probably have gone for the Vendee, but for the tightness as you say around the cooking area. Plus, unless you stand on the bed, you can't get dressed in the bedroom!

Unless you can afford the really long, heavy 'vans (+ towcar), you have to compromise on what you layout you are happy with - as fixed bed had to come so high, then we knew we would lose the end bathroom.

We went to Earls Court today and, sad couple that we are, we sat for ages in the Pageant Burgundy on display which the Bailey people said it attracting lots of interest and orders - it is the same layout as the Senator Indiana which won caravan of the year, but is a couple of thousand pounds cheaper.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts