Baileys bed!

Jon

Aug 18, 2023
Visit site
I bought a 2022 bailey phoenix 644plus with an island bed.When it's put into the night position you cannot walk around the bottom of the bed so you have to climb over it to get to the loo! Itook it back to the dealer as we thought it must have the wrong mattress in it but we were told that it was correct and there was nothing they could do. Has anyone else had this experience and got any answers?

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
So is there NO gap at the bottom? Or is it just a bit of a squeeze, I simply refuse to believe anyone would make caravan where its impossible to negotiate around the foot of a bed as thats the whole reason of having an island bed.

No-one else seems to have reported this issue.

Have you a picture to show what you mean?

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Welcome, Jon. Our Clubman with an island bed, when in the sleeping position allowed for access though but it was tight. But doable.

We accepted that because a caravan is only so wide.

John

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
We went for the rear Island bed, for that very reason, I'm 6' 3" and with the 6" gap in sleeping mode, and my feet overhanging it wouldn't have worked...

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Our mattress is hinged at the top so it can foldover allowing plenty of room at the bottom of the bed. Our previous 2011 Lunar never had the hinge on the mattress and it was a tight squeeze at the bottom of the bed.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The caravan has a bed across the caravan which extends at night. In general this layout is known to normally have very restricted access at the foot once the night time sleeping position is selected. We have the same layout and I can squeeze past sideways but not walk. I would assume the sales staff showed you the pull out base in position before you bought but missed this point. It is unlikely to be the wrong mattress and frankly there is no answer, you can only walk past when the end is pushed back.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I bought a 2022 bailey phoenix 644plus with an island bed.When it's put into the night position you cannot walk around the bottom of the bed so you have to climb over it to get to the loo! Itook it back to the dealer as we thought it must have the wrong mattress in it but we were told that it was correct and there was nothing they could do. Has anyone else had this experience and got any answers?
If the size of the bed and access to the WC when the bed is in use was one of your specific reasons for purchasing the caravan, provided you told the dealer those were your reasons when you negotiated for the caravan, and now you have the caravan and it does n't work for you, you have a case for breach of contract because the dealer has not supplied goods that are fit for purpose.

Go to Which? and check out what your statutory legal rights are under the Consumer Rights Act.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Unfortunately as any reasonable person can still squeeze past the bottom of the bed by moving sideways there is no breach of contract and the caravan is fit of purpose. In an 8' wide caravan you would not have the same issue with an island bed.

Reactions: Mr Plodd
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
There are many hundreds of other 644 owners/users who clearly don't have the issue the OP has. ;)
That model has been in production for many years so if there was any commonality of complaints I would have expected the model to have been withdrawn years ago, but it's still in production which says everything you need to know.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
If the size of the bed and access to the WC when the bed is in use was one of your specific reasons for purchasing the caravan, provided you told the dealer those were your reasons when you negotiated for the caravan, and now you have the caravan and it does n't work for you, you have a case for breach of contract because the dealer has not supplied goods that are fit for purpose.

Go to Which? and check out what your statutory legal rights are under the Consumer Rights Act.
Sounds like rubbish to me, You see the caravan, decide you want that style. That's it.
A bit like saying , the washing machine manufacturer, did not say you could not wash the cat/dog in it.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
If you are not far from a dealers with the same van on the forecourt, call in and see if you can get around the bed when it is fully extended on that one. If you can, then there is an issue with your van, bed or mattress. If not, then that is how they are made. Take a tape measure and, if you can get around the bed, take detailed measurements to work out if your mattress is too big, the bed is too long or not fixed in the right place.
My experience of an island bed in a van, was that it was doable but a squeeze. Much more difficult if were generously built.
mel

Reactions: Jcloughie
Dec 27, 2022
Visit site
I'm too big to get round the end of our bed at night, so I just climb over the wife to get to the loo.
If I'm awake I see no reason why she shouldn't be.

• Haha
Reactions: Hutch
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Our previous caravan a Coachman 545 with the Island bed was fine, a bit tight to walk around the end of the bed to get to the wardrobes. And if you forgot to fold back the duvet, it got wet as you got out of the shower.

May 7, 2012
Visit site

I doubt there is any case as the sales staff normally pull out the bed to show you how it works and the lack of space becomes obvious.

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Jon

With my Lunar, night mode involved pulling the bed out, folding down the fill in piece at the top, then pushing the bed back towards the headboard to creare maximum space at the bottom.

Was the last step done?

John

TRENDING THREADS