battery connection

Oct 14, 2008
Visit site
Hi new to caravanning and have just left my first van (swift Oakmere GT) in the storage place last night, i have a quick question should i have disconnected the battery and if not where should i have left the rocker switch (Van / middle/ car)

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Charlie

No need to disconnect the battery and at a guess I'd say that the rocker switch should be left in the middle position

Jun 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi Charlie

I agree with Parksy ,no need to remove batttery and rocker switch in central position.

Our van is open to all elements in the winter on a farm so we leave the battery on unless we have run it down then we take it home and charge it

Over the winter months we always go to to our van open up and run heater for a while so the battery can run lights .

I think if the weather was to drop to the extreme then I may take it off and store at room temperature .

I hope this helps you

Regards Sir Roger

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Just to throw some doubt into the discussion, from other threads I've read expert people have advocated that leisure batteries differ in construction technology from car batteries and need regular top up charging to maintain battery condition and longevity.

If 'over wintering' is 5 months maybe a techy out there could clarify if top up charging is really necessary.

JTS

Jan 16, 2007
Visit site
Charlie,

Regardless of the type of battery you have it needs to be charged at least once a month. If in storage and getting little use, take it home, keep it warm and charge it once a month. Save you having to buy a new one next season.

Good luck JTS.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts