Being caught over train weight

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I was caught once with being 130kg over maximum permissible towload of the car (I was probably over MTPLM of the caravan as well but that didn't seem to interest the police). They asked me if there were any heavy items in the caravan which I could transfer to the car. After agreeing to empty the fresh water tank and moving a big cooler box filled to the brim to the back seat of the car, they gave me a warning but let me continue the journey without a fine. Big sigh of relief all round.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
The reason why you got away with a warning was probably because you were still within +/- 5% of the gross train weight at only 130Kgs over. However, I was stopped once for towing a trailer with a 3500Kg truck without a tachograph being fitted. A proibition notice was served. But to get the trailer home they were quite happy to let me tow it behind my Renault 18 estate. The trailer was 18 feet long loaded to 1800Kgs and stacked 10feet tall, so it made the car look rediculus towing it, but they said it was legal!!?? It was certainly unsafe as I couldn't get more than 40mph out of it before it started to sway.

I now tow a twenty foot twin axle van behind our Laguna estate and it is legal, as I've taken the time to get the outfit weighed at my local weigh bridge, at a cost of a fiver. Once you can talk to the police about weights of the car, caravan and nose weights, more often than not they are so bemused that they give up and get the hair drier out instead. I always check the nose weight before starting off, and now I've found out what I can load into the van It's quite simple to go through the same routine each time, which should keep the long arm of the law at arm's length.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I was caught once with being 130kg over maximum permissible towload of the car (I was probably over MTPLM of the caravan as well but that didn't seem to interest the police). They asked me if there were any heavy items in the caravan which I could transfer to the car. After agreeing to empty the fresh water tank and moving a big cooler box filled to the brim to the back seat of the car, they gave me a warning but let me continue the journey without a fine. Big sigh of relief all round.
fresh water tank should never be filled in transit(20 litres ways a lot),

it puts extra weight on that side of van,also the water sloshing about will have some sort of detramental effect to the stability of the caracvan,i am verty surprised you have never felt this

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The reason why you got away with a warning was probably because you were still within +/- 5% of the gross train weight at only 130Kgs over. However, I was stopped once for towing a trailer with a 3500Kg truck without a tachograph being fitted. A proibition notice was served. But to get the trailer home they were quite happy to let me tow it behind my Renault 18 estate. The trailer was 18 feet long loaded to 1800Kgs and stacked 10feet tall, so it made the car look rediculus towing it, but they said it was legal!!?? It was certainly unsafe as I couldn't get more than 40mph out of it before it started to sway.

I now tow a twenty foot twin axle van behind our Laguna estate and it is legal, as I've taken the time to get the outfit weighed at my local weigh bridge, at a cost of a fiver. Once you can talk to the police about weights of the car, caravan and nose weights, more often than not they are so bemused that they give up and get the hair drier out instead. I always check the nose weight before starting off, and now I've found out what I can load into the van It's quite simple to go through the same routine each time, which should keep the long arm of the law at arm's length.
Good advice given there. We too have been to a weighbridge and were quite surprised what our outfit did weigh as we thought we hardly too anything with us. The reason I mentioned on the other thread about Renault, was because of things read on forums and also advice given when we were thinking of buying one. Renault must be the most unhelpful manufacturer ever.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What is the actual legal towing limit? Is it the max train weight as per the vehicle hand book, or a lower figure? I've always assumed that the on road trailer weight could be no more than 100% of the towing vehicle weight, and that the max limit in the hand book was just a theoretical limit for off road use. But that obviously isn't the case.

Thanks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What is the actual legal towing limit? Is it the max train weight as per the vehicle hand book, or a lower figure? I've always assumed that the on road trailer weight could be no more than 100% of the towing vehicle weight, and that the max limit in the hand book was just a theoretical limit for off road use. But that obviously isn't the case.

Thanks.
Mick I am not trying to put you off caravanning, but you have asked a question that by virtue of the subject matter does not have a simple one line answer.

The law on towing Mass limits unfortunately is not simple, and you would need to check both the vehicle with trailer and the categories on your driving licence.

The vehicle manufacture derives maximum limits for each model and variation. These include maximum axle loads, gross vehicle weight and maximum permitted towed mass, and a gross train mass max tow hitch load. None of these should be exceeded.

The results can enable some models to tow more than the vehicles own mass and other can be substantially less.

Your own driving licence categories sets limits on what you can drive and tow.

You must always adopt the lowest limit that applies to be technically legal. However as a driver you are ultimately responsible to ensure that an outfit is safe, if for whatever reason it is unsafe you are automatically illegal.

The 85% figure is a guideline not a law, however it is a sensible target. Keeping to weight proportions alone does not ensure a stable outfit, it relies on many factors which include weight distribution, and driving techniques.

Be methodical about working out your limits. Best advice is always keep trailers as light as possible.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I have a 40 litre fixed water tank which is normally about one third full while travelling (mainly to wash hands, etc. when stopping en route). I can't say that I've ever noticed any instability.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com

You're right, Steve, that was the reason they gave me for letting me go unscathed. I was just under the allowable margin.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Good advice given there. We too have been to a weighbridge and were quite surprised what our outfit did weigh as we thought we hardly too anything with us. The reason I mentioned on the other thread about Renault, was because of things read on forums and also advice given when we were thinking of buying one. Renault must be the most unhelpful manufacturer ever.
You ae right, Renault realy do complicate things when it comes to towing weights. We have a total of five Laguna's within our family and not one of them have a hand book that actually gives the weight of the car's gross train correct to the VIN plate on the car.

Being a HGV driver and having had 25 years of towing experience, I happen to know the regulations and the way to go about getting to the truth of just what can be towed legally.

It is a pity Renault are so coy about information, as their cars are realy good value for money and comfortable too.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Thank for those. It was however just a general enquiry about legal limits, more out of interest really. Obviously there isn't a one line answer.

I know all about caravan limits and loading thanks.

I also have experience of some wacky tug/trailer weight ratios as I used to tow aircraft. Trying to manoeuvre an 8 ton helicopter with a light weight Land Rover, connected with a 10' towing arm in a gale can be quite entertaining. Trying to park it in a hanger within 6" of the walls with the rotor blades blowing up and down in the dark is good fun. Not. But they're all bar room stories.

Thanks anyway.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It's OK anyway I've found what I was after on the VOSA site.

The vehicle and trailers must not exceed their own Gross Weights, and together they mustn't exceed the vehicle's Gross Train Weight.

Apparently though there are only two legal requirements for weights and loads: One is that you must not exceed the Gross Train Weight (GTW) that is shown on the manufacturer's ID plate under the bonnet, and the other is that you mustn't exceed the trailer's 'Maximum Gross Weight'.

Cheers

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
It's not quite as easy as that, Mick (refer to John L's comments). All plated loads have legal significance. In addition to what you mention, that includes axle loads and noseweights, too.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes, but this was a general car and trailer type enquiry rather than starting my own haulage company :) It was only out of interest.

Thanks anyway.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Yes, but this was a general car and trailer type enquiry rather than starting my own haulage company :) It was only out of interest.

Thanks anyway.
What I wrote applies to a car and caravan combination just as much as the haulage business.

Apr 7, 2005
Visit site
Thanks for all your comments, i hope i can safely tow with this Renault now!! All i seem to be doing is fine. Forgot to mention that i am actually brand new to this game!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts