Best Caravan Sat Nav

Feb 17, 2023
Visit site
Hello Everyone

I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend a good sat nav or sat nav app for caravaners. I've looked at the Co-Pilot app which sounds pretty good. You have to subscribe at £25.99 for the year to get all its features.

Thanks
Col

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hello Everyone

I'm just wondering if anyone can recommend a good sat nav or sat nav app for caravaners. I've looked at the Co-Pilot app which sounds pretty good. You have to subscribe at £25.99 for the year to get all its features.

Thanks
Col

I used Co-Pilot at £25.99. I liked it, but my use was minimal before I had to give up caravaning.

It seemed the best value for money.

John

Feb 17, 2023
Visit site
I used Co-Pilot at £25.99. I liked it, but my use was minimal before I had to give up caravaning.

John

John
It does seem good value for money John given that the majority of sat nav's specifically for caravaners or truckers look to be in the £300 bracket.
Thanks for the info.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Does it allow you to input the dimensions of the totla outfit to include car and caravan?
Yes. They do two versions. The car only, and caravan or larger vehicles. The £25:99 does the lot. I think they also do a free version for the car with limited time usage.

John

Reactions: Buckman
Feb 17, 2023
Visit site
Yes. They do two versions. The car only, and caravan or larger vehicles. The £25:99 does the lot. I think they also do a free version for the car with limited time usage.

John

John
Yes I noticed that. I think I'll be giving it a go. I've tried my old garmin and also Google Maps, but of course they're based on cars only, and you can end up on some very narrow B roads, unsuited to caravans lol.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I use the TomTom Go app on my phone. Supposedly the latest version allows you to put in vehicle dimensions but I don't see this as an option on mine which is upto date.

I'm not sure I'd trust it completely anyway. Even just for the car it can throw a fit at times and try and take you through a dubious route. So, I always check manually where I'm going and then adjust the sat nav route accordingly by adding way points.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Just a pity that you cannot update a car's satnav with POIs etc and dimensions of out fit although that satnav has cost you tens of thousands! :sneaky:

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I use the TomTom Go app on my phone. Supposedly the latest version allows you to put in vehicle dimensions but I don't see this as an option on mine which is upto date.

I'm not sure I'd trust it completely anyway. Even just for the car it can throw a fit at times and try and take you through a dubious route. So, I always check manually where I'm going and then adjust the sat nav route accordingly by adding way points.
When towing I did exactly that for my Garmin so I could control my route and landing approach. I would develop the route on the computer then download to the Garmin. And belt and braces would be review the approach on Street View too.

Reactions: Col3691

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Out of curiosity and because its a slow day here I looked at the Highway Code in respect of Mobile Phones and Inbuilt information systems. Bit of a gray area.

While it seems you must not use a hand held device when driving or supervising a learner, this just becomes a caution when using the inbuilt information system.

Placement of smarphones and dedicated sat navs also seems to differ.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Out of curiosity and because its a slow day here I looked at the Highway Code in respect of Mobile Phones and Inbuilt information systems. Bit of a gray area.

While it seems you must not use a hand held device when driving or supervising a learner, this just becomes a caution when using the inbuilt information system.

Placement of smarphones and dedicated sat navs also seems to differ.
AFAIK you must not use a hand-held phone for anything while driving - if you're using it as a satnav it must be in a cradle or bluetoothed onto the car's display.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
AFAIK you must not use a hand-held phone for anything while driving - if you're using it as a satnav it must be in a cradle or bluetoothed onto the car's display.
The law changed not too long ago to address the fact that whilst drivers must not use them as hand he’d phones there were loopholes such as those who take delight in photographing accident scenes as they pass. My phone interfaces via Bluetooth or the data port on the car so I could use the 10.25 inch touch screen. But in a year of ownership I’ve not touched the screen whilst moving relying on voice command if required. But incoming phone calls and messages etc are suppressed with a return message “ Im driving”.. Although if there’s a real need for close family to talk they can get through but not on first call.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
The Highway Code is a little unclear and implies your can't even use it as a sat nav.

Mobile phones and in-vehicle technology​

Rule 149​

You MUST exercise proper control of your vehicle at all times. You MUST NOT use a hand-held mobile phone, or similar device, capable of interactive communication (such as a tablet) for any purpose when driving or when supervising a learner driver. This ban covers all use of a hand-held interactive communication device and it applies even when the interactive communication capability is turned off or unavailable. You MUST NOT pick up the phone or similar device while driving to dial a number and then put it in the cradle for the duration of the conversation. You MUST NOT pick up and use your hand-held phone or similar device while stationary in traffic.

There is an exception to call 999 or 112 in a genuine emergency when it is unsafe or impractical to stop. There is also an exception if you are using a hand-held mobile phone or similar device to make a contactless payment at a contactless payment terminal. Your vehicle MUST be stationary, and the goods or services MUST be received at the same time as, or after, the contactless payment.

Never use a hand-held microphone when driving. Using hands-free equipment is also likely to distract your attention from the road. It is far safer not to use any telephone or similar device while you are driving or riding - find a safe place to stop first or use the voicemail facility and listen to messages later.

You may park your vehicle using a handheld remote control app or device. The app or device MUST be legal, and you should not put other people in danger when you use it.

Rule 150​

There is a danger of driver distraction being caused by in-vehicle systems such as satellite navigation systems, congestion warning systems, PCs, multi-media, etc. You MUST exercise proper control of your vehicle at all times. Do not rely on driver assistance systems such as motorway assist, lane departure warnings, or remote control parking. They are available to assist but you should not reduce your concentration levels. Do not be distracted by maps or screen-based information (such as navigation or vehicle management systems) while driving or riding. If necessary find a safe place to stop.

As the driver, you are still responsible for the vehicle if you use a driver assistance system (like motorway assist). This is also the case if you use a hand-held remote control parking app or device. You MUST have full control over these systems at all times.

The actual legislation states.

Breach of requirements as to control of vehicle, mobile telephones etc.

A person who contravenes or fails to comply with a construction and use requirement—

(a)as to not driving a motor vehicle in a position which does not give proper control or a full view of the road and traffic ahead, or not causing or permitting the driving of a motor vehicle by another person in such a position, or

(b)as to not driving or supervising the driving of a motor vehicle while using a hand-held mobile telephone or other hand-held interactive communication device, or not causing or permitting the driving of a motor vehicle by another person using such a telephone or other device,

is guilty of an offence.]

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The Highway Code is a little unclear and implies your can't even use it as a sat nav.

Mobile phones and in-vehicle technology​

Rule 149​

You MUST exercise proper control of your vehicle at all times. You MUST NOT use a hand-held mobile phone, or similar device, capable of interactive communication (such as a tablet) for any purpose when driving or when supervising a learner driver. This ban covers all use of a hand-held interactive communication device and it applies even when the interactive communication capability is turned off or unavailable. You MUST NOT pick up the phone or similar device while driving to dial a number and then put it in the cradle for the duration of the conversation. You MUST NOT pick up and use your hand-held phone or similar device while stationary in traffic.

There is an exception to call 999 or 112 in a genuine emergency when it is unsafe or impractical to stop. There is also an exception if you are using a hand-held mobile phone or similar device to make a contactless payment at a contactless payment terminal. Your vehicle MUST be stationary, and the goods or services MUST be received at the same time as, or after, the contactless payment.

Never use a hand-held microphone when driving. Using hands-free equipment is also likely to distract your attention from the road. It is far safer not to use any telephone or similar device while you are driving or riding - find a safe place to stop first or use the voicemail facility and listen to messages later.

You may park your vehicle using a handheld remote control app or device. The app or device MUST be legal, and you should not put other people in danger when you use it.

Rule 150​

There is a danger of driver distraction being caused by in-vehicle systems such as satellite navigation systems, congestion warning systems, PCs, multi-media, etc. You MUST exercise proper control of your vehicle at all times. Do not rely on driver assistance systems such as motorway assist, lane departure warnings, or remote control parking. They are available to assist but you should not reduce your concentration levels. Do not be distracted by maps or screen-based information (such as navigation or vehicle management systems) while driving or riding. If necessary find a safe place to stop.

As the driver, you are still responsible for the vehicle if you use a driver assistance system (like motorway assist). This is also the case if you use a hand-held remote control parking app or device. You MUST have full control over these systems at all times.

The actual legislation states.

Breach of requirements as to control of vehicle, mobile telephones etc.

A person who contravenes or fails to comply with a construction and use requirement—

(a)as to not driving a motor vehicle in a position which does not give proper control or a full view of the road and traffic ahead, or not causing or permitting the driving of a motor vehicle by another person in such a position, or

(b)as to not driving or supervising the driving of a motor vehicle while using a hand-held mobile telephone or other hand-held interactive communication device, or not causing or permitting the driving of a motor vehicle by another person using such a telephone or other device,

is guilty of an offence.]
That's very clear to me - you can't use a phone for any purpose when hand-held (except in specific emergencies) - when the phone's in a cradle it's treated the same as an inbuilt satnav, ie you can use it but the requirement to be in control of the car always applies.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The key words to my mind are “ must exercise proper control of the vehicle at all times” . Using hand held mobile devices for any purpose except in an emergency is a No No.. My info systems require me to acknowledge that I will not touch them whilst driving. That’s fine but they are still able to be used by touch, but voice is available too, but even using voice fir example to find fuel, I would still have to look at the info screen in order to decide the next command from a list of options. So distraction still results. Fortunately my car unlike many VW group, or Volvo and others allows me to access driving controls via switches not by inter layers of touch screen menu.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
That's very clear to me - you can't use a phone for any purpose when hand-held (except in specific emergencies) - when the phone's in a cradle it's treated the same as an inbuilt satnav, ie you can use it but the requirement to be in control of the car always applies.
I don't think its that clear.

Rule 149 says, in the second sentence not to use a hand held device for any purpose and there's nothing to imply that when its in a cradle it qualifies as an inbuilt device which may be used with caution.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I don't think its that clear.

Rule 149 says, in the second sentence not to use a hand held device for any purpose and there's nothing to imply that when its in a cradle it qualifies as an inbuilt device which may be used with caution.
Surely if it’s in a cradle mount it isn’t hand held when being used. But you still have the distraction if you start pushing buttons or the screen. In 2000 when I joined a private company I had a company car, mobile phone etc. The rules were very strict. No use of phones , hands free or not when driving on company business. This extended to using your own car, or a hire car too if on business. Even then it was becoming apparent that drivers talking on a phone are sufficiently distracted to increase the risk of accidents.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Last week the A417 was completely closed between Leominster and Ledbury. The Highways Diversion signs were not there! The VW Sat Nav firstly tried to make us do U turns and when ignored turn down those narrow old lanes. Out came the faithful road atlas. We re plotted the journey with a couple of way points. All fine. But without the atlas we would have been in trouble.
Why can’t the likes of VW Sat navs be reprogrammed for caravans?

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Last week the A417 was completely closed between Leominster and Ledbury. The Highways Diversion signs were not there! The VW Sat Nav firstly tried to make us do U turns and when ignored turn down those narrow old lanes. Out came the faithful road atlas. We re plotted the journey with a couple of way points. All fine. But without the atlas we would have been in trouble.
Why can’t the likes of VW Sat navs be reprogrammed for caravans?
The VW satnav is made even worse by no longer receiving traffic data - I always have a Road Atlas with me.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I had the Snooper 2000 sat nav, a fantastic bit of kit, for caravans. They stopped the update so I bought their new one three years ago.
Very disappointed with the new one. It has taken me down stupid routes.
I would give them a miss.

Sep 16, 2018
Visit site
Back to the OPs question. I've been trying out co pilot this summer and found it a bit clunky, but overall OK.
It's not clear to me if its finding a routes based on the dimensions I've input or the road choices (I told it to prioritise A
roads).

However so far its not led me wrong.

The only negative when compared to Google is the last mile, Google has far better final address detail (although not infalluble) particularly knowing campsite etc locations. (Whether the £300+ systems.are better maybe others can advise.)

So we use Copilot for 98% of the trip and Google for the last mile.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Back to the OPs question. I've been trying out co pilot this summer and found it a bit clunky, but overall OK.
It's not clear to me if its finding a routes based on the dimensions I've input or the road choices (I told it to prioritise A
roads).

However so far its not led me wrong.

The only negative when compared to Google is the last mile, Google has far better final address detail (although not infalluble) particularly knowing campsite etc locations. (Whether the £300+ systems.are better maybe others can advise.)

So we use Copilot for 98% of the trip and Google for the last mile.
If you input a caravan profile, set a route, then switch between solo car and caravan. You will be able to compare the routes it gives.

With any SatNav, using Google Earth at least for the approach is always wise.

I think I prefer the TomTom interface., probably because that is what I am used to. But at the time I went for CoPilot, TomTom was not doing a caravan version on an app. They may do it now.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: Mandarin
Jul 17, 2008
clogcaravanlog.blogspot.com
I've just installed Sygic GPS Truck & Caravan Navigation and that let's you enter the total dimensions. I had been using Waze on my phone in conjunction with the car's offline sat nav. i'll try and let you know how I'm getting on.

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
I use an Avtex badged Garmin...which does let us set the size of the outfit.

But an interesting story... So I had a service loan car from Volvo, which was one of the new Android Auto based cars. I set a route to Felixstowe, (from Colchester) and was surprised to find that the SatNav was not taking us North on the A12 and along the A14, but was proceding towards Harwich, and said we should take the Ferry (a foot ferry) from Harwich to Felixstowe! Riidiculous that Google Maps includes non-vehicular ferries.

TRENDING THREADS