Best location?

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
Fair enough, that I understand entirely, but I was posting for the information of everyone.
Personally I prefer any info to be as close to my line of sight as possible. My current car has a head up display projected onto the windscreen (not a flip up mirror) so speed, speed limit, satnav info etc is visible without looking away from,the road. My TPMS is mounted on the screen in the dead centre and as low as possible , it doesn't impede on my forward vision at all. Unlike many cars I see with the satnav high up and directly in front of the drivers eyes, grrrr!,

If you take your eyes of the road, for just a single second, at 60mph you travel roughly 30m or 100 ft or 6 car lengths! That's why I simply cannot understand why car manufacturers are allowed to make everything in a car controlled from an "infotainment" screen. I want physical switches so "muscle memory" will direct my hand to it, I dont want to have to look at a screen and scroll through menus for several seconds at 70mph on a busy motorway!

Perhaps I shoukd start a campaign "Bring back the switch" ?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Fair enough, that I understand entirely, but I was posting for the information of everyone.
Personally I prefer any info to be as close to my line of sight as possible. My current car has a head up display projected onto the windscreen (not a flip up mirror) so speed, speed limit, satnav info etc is visible without looking away from,the road. My TPMS is mounted on the screen in the dead centre, it doesn't impede on my forward vision at all.

If you take your eyes of the road, for just a single second, at 60mph you travel roughly 30m or 100 ft or 6 car lengths! That's why I simply cannot understand why car manufacturers are allowed to make everything in a car controlled from an "infotainment" screen. I want physical switches so "muscle memory" will direct my hand to it, I dont want to have to look at a screen and scroll through menus for several seconds at 70mph on a busy motorway!

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Personally I prefer any info to be as close to my line of sight as possible. My current car has a head up display projected onto the windscreen (not a flip up mirror) so speed, speed limit, satnav info etc is visible without looking away from,the road. My TPMS is mounted on the screen in the dead centre and as low as possible , it doesn't impede on my forward vision at all. Unlike many cars I see with the satnav high up and directly in front of the drivers eyes, grrrr!,

It could be a second between life and death. I rely on audible warnings. Generally my passenger will do the things like changing stations etc, but if I am on my own I will wait until the road is clear in both directions before changing the station although I have a button that can do it.

With the button I have to scroll through the different stations to get to the one I want which means glancing at the screen continuously. I do have voice control but I just cannot get my head around it to remember the correct sequence of phrase to use.

I would think that if a driver of a vehicle had their satnav in line of sight the police officer will be issuing them with big fat fine plus penalty points!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My previous car, aSubaru, had its satnav/ media screen low down in the Center of the dash. So if a satnav were required I used a Garmin mounted on the dash. Yet my 2010 XC70 had a satnav that rose out of the dash and was great to view. Current one has 10.25 in screen which is mounted high on the dash which is a pretty good position but not as good as head up display my grandson 5 series has. But I do have an array of switches or positive buttons for most control functions.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site

In that I totally agree; here we have makers and legislators inventing all the safety improvements modern technology can offer, with which I also agree. However, at the same time adding these touch screen interfaces that inevitably require both mental and physical attention where driving should be where attention is directed.
Seems some logic dysfunction here, we know for example intuitively where the brake pedal is without calling that up on a screen, apply the same man machine inferfacing mindset to other controls etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: otherclive

TRENDING THREADS