Black Bits from Toilet Flush

Oct 25, 2006
Visit site
Some time ago I am sure that I read on the forum a solution to a problem of 'black bits' coming into the toilet bowl from the toilet flush.

At the time was not a problem to me. Now it is and the old memory is fading and cannot seem to trace the advice given through the formum search facility.

Can anyone remind me what the remedy is.

Much appreciated for any assistance as it is an annoyance.

Bernard

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
There's a difference of opinion on this issue - many think that the use of Thetford Pink causes the black algae bits - but others, including me, that used Thetford Pink for many years without any problems.

I've used BioMagic in both tanks for a couple of seasons without any issues at all.

Nov 28, 2007
Visit site
The black bits are algae, kill it off by putting some Milton in the flush tank, leave it for a few hours and then flush it through. Make sure you drain the tank properly at the end of the season and it should be OK.

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Bernard,

Had this problem with two caravans. Solved it both times by changeing from Thetford Flush to Elson pink flush. I still use Thetford Blue in the bottom tank.

Hamer

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Bernard,

Traditional pink fluid is just a mixture of a pleasant fragrance and a detergent - to keep the toilet bowl clean and smelling sweet.

It has no chemicals to stop the black microbial growth - it's not really algae because that needs light to grow - but is a mould that thrives in damp, dark conditions.

Some pink fluids do contain chemicals to control mould growth - but I'm not sure they help with the contents of the lower tank - usually such mixtures would be counter productive.

So the best advice is to rinse out the top tank and keep it clean.

Robert

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts