Black spots in flush water

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi, everyone,

I am experiencing black spots in the water used to flush the caravan toilet. I guess this is from some sort of problem in the water holding tank. I know this subject was commented on, at length, in the caravan press, some time ago, but cannot remember the suggested remedy. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We had the same problem and I was led to understand it is a form of alge which forms in the flushing tank after a while. You can buy a prodct from Thetford which cleans the holding tank thoroughly can't remember what it is called but something simple like Holding tank cleaner!!

Caroline

Apr 26, 2005
Visit site
Again in had the same problem - along with many others i think. I read a tip in some mag or other to use a quarter of a "blue block" the sort you just pop in the cistern at home. This colours the water, smells fresh, lasts about 3 refils of the tank and i've had no trouble since. They're cheap too, picked up 6 for a pound at one of those discount shops. It is a bit fiddly getting into the cassette loos with the manual flush but it can be done. Electric flush is no bother.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Paul

I believe this started when Thetford stopped putting the original mix of chemicals n their 'Pink'. They then, after a pause, introduced "Top Tank Cleaner" ( I may have the name wrong ) which will clean your top tank. There was a similar change to the original 'Blue' and now you can buy a separate " Bottom Tank Cleaner" ( name again uncertain).

My Solution was simple - I changed back to Elsan Blue and Pink !.

Mar 23, 2005
Visit site
Paul

I believe this started when Thetford stopped putting the original mix of chemicals n their 'Pink'. They then, after a pause, introduced "Top Tank Cleaner" ( I may have the name wrong ) which will clean your top tank. There was a similar change to the original 'Blue' and now you can buy a separate " Bottom Tank Cleaner" ( name again uncertain).

My Solution was simple - I changed back to Elsan Blue and Pink !.
I have to agree, Elsan Blue is far superior to AquaKem since they changed the recipe.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
Hi dont put the blue blocks in the header tanks as they never completely dissolve and could block the pipes and damage the pump.I complained to Thetford at the Caravan show about having to buy a product to cure a fault their product has caused , i got sent sent a questionaire and got some free stuff worth a try

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I've heard that the 'blue' blocks can damage the seals in the loo - would NOT suggest using them! As stated, flush out your existing tank, and refill with Elsan and you'll have no problem.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I too have the same problem. After reading the comments here I'm interested in getting some of that Elsan fluid but every where I go all I see is Thetford, where in the hell can you get this Elsan stuff?.

Apr 15, 2005
Visit site
All these problems you have with your toilet chemicals can be solved with a new biodegradable product called Kemdirect. This can be used in both top and bottom tanks. It will elliminate all smells and black bits in the flush water and it breaks down all solids and paper and no smell when emptying the toilet. So no need to but extra products to solve problems. Look at Kemdirect nl for more details.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Algae in the flush tank is very common ...to cure add one bottle of flush tank cleaner and fill the tank ,leave overnight then flush through ,refill the tank with clean water and flush through again.Done.

Mike.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts