BMW 520 TOURING OR VW TIGUAN 190

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Interesting. The UK Tiguan forum is full of people complaining about the same issue. Mine is a 2018 RLine 150. On the test drive, I thought the delay was down to me coming from a more powerful diesel. But no it is so bad pulling out of junctions I've had a number of near misses due to the exit appearing clear but by the time the Tiguan begins to accelerate another vehicle is now approaching quickly.
I also got mate who got 2018 Rline 150 DSG and he says there is no comparsion to 190 Bhp why don"t you take a test drive and try it Also you have your opinion i have mine

Last edited:
Reactions: AnastieByte
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Our dreadful Tiguan was the same. I did find that you can alter the performance with the rotary control in the middle which pretty much sorted that problem.
I have a permanent back condition ( too many years bending over engines) and find the more upright seating of an SUV much more comfortable.
incidentally we went from a 2014 Sorento to a Tiguan in the belief that we were going upmarket. Couldn’t have been more wrong!
If that’s the best VW can do they need to take a good hard look at the Koreans.
Well mine is top of the range it comes with Massage seat and let me tell you i to suffer with a bad back i put that on and it relieves it .
But to me this is a Luxury car Panoramic Sunroof plus a Electric Blind what slides at the touch of my finger my wife got a Mitsubishi i would say that would take some beating pass every MOT from new (58plate) starts up first time

Reactions: BryanC123
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
incidentally we went from a 2014 Sorento to a Tiguan in the belief that we were going upmarket. Couldn’t have been more wrong!
If that’s the best VW can do they need to take a good hard look at the Koreans.
The Tiguan isn't the best VW can do - and few would regard it as an upgrade from a Sorento although they might from a Sportage - on the other hand, a Touareg would be an upgrade but you'll need to pay more than the £44,000 for a top-of-the-range Sorento.

Oct 12, 2016
Visit site
The Tiguan isn't the best VW can do - and few would regard it as an upgrade from a Sorento although they might from a Sportage - on the other hand, a Touareg would be an upgrade but you'll need to pay more than the £44,000 for a top-of-the-range Sorento.
We had the choice of the Sportage or the Tiguan as we decided to use my company pickup as a towcar ( fantastic) Went the wrong way. We had it in a 3 year contract hire but gave it back after two. Wife said she’d rather drive her 57 plate Daihatsu Sirion.

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
Is the fact the 5 Series is rear wheel drive an issue?
We tow back from Spain in November when roads over the Sierras can have quite heavy snowfalls. Even though the snowploughs do a good job I would be slightly hesitant about rear wheel drive traction. 4X4 is reassuring.
If you don't tow in winter, however, it wouldn't be an issue.
Just a thought.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
The question was winter though. I agree 4x4 is great towing and on slippy grass but in ice and snow and anything less than 7 degrees traction is in the following order 2wd summer 4wd summer 2wd winter 4wd winter in that order worst to best. .

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
There will be those who will support 4wd and those who will argue in favour of 2wd. Your unlikely to get a consensus on that.

I will start by saying that 95% or more caravanners have never encountered conditions when they needed the capabilities of 4 wheel drive, so don't assume having a caravan needs a 4x4.

Now consider what you do most of the year when you're not towing. Obviously you need a vehicle cabable of towing your caravan, but which vehicle would you prefer for solo driving?

Now it's your choice that counts, not others.

Reactions: JezzerB
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There will be those who will support 4wd and those who will argue in favour of 2wd. Your unlikely to get a consensus on that.

I will start by saying that 95% or more caravanners have never encountered conditions when they needed the capabilities of 4 wheel drive, so don't assume having a caravan needs a 4x4.

Now consider what you do most of the year when you're not towing. Obviously you need a vehicle cabable of towing your caravan, but which vehicle would you prefer for solo driving?

As I’ve posted in several threads the only three times I’ve been stuck getting off a wet CL were in 4Wd vehicles. Others are too in Jeep, Discovery as well.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site

Perfectly put Prof ; I'm with you-our only used 4x4 occasionally when towing in our Duster-and on a grass site that was very wet. The diff lock was very good in preventing the grass from being churned up!

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
The 190 Tiguan is 190ps so around 187bhp.

If you don't require the extra ride height and 4wd standard on the 190ps my choice would be the 5 series a much superior car to any Tiguan.

Tiguan is a nice car but not IMO a luxury car. I don't notice any delay from a start off with my Tiguan but I always set off in sport.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
My Subaru tows in Sport mode as recommended by Subaru. Must try it in Sport+ the hooligans setting. 🤐
When I had my Subaru Outback, the advice from one of their Japanese transmission engineers was to always use Drive when towing as the transmission electronics are clever enough to select the most appropriate gear.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
When I had my Subaru Outback, the advice from one of their Japanese transmission engineers was to always use Drive when towing as the transmission electronics are clever enough to select the most appropriate gear.
Mine doesn’t have gears. It is CVT Lineatronic.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Next time out with the caravan attached will try it in Sport Mode (y)
You might not require it although it will not do any harm. The Subaru has a CVT gearbox and is a turbocharged petrol engine. In its “intelligent” mode for normal driving it’s quite relaxed and if you want sharp acceleration there is a slight turbo lag. So there a paddle shift to shift the revs up akin to dropping down a gear. That then increases turbo boost. That’s fine for everyday driving but when towing having it in its Sport mode means it will already be part way up the turbo boost curve and have a few more revs on, so very positive response to throttle, or if steady cruising it responds more quickly to throttle inputs. It has a further mode of Sport# which sharpens things up quite a bit more.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
Next time out with the caravan attached will try it in Sport Mode (y)

I tow I in D but set off and slowdown in sport, sport will give you max torque for pulling off and more engine braking for slowing.

Solo I use Eco and sport for setting off and slowing. I can get 51.5mpg max solo and 31mpg max towing 1700kg.

Aug 13, 2020
Visit site
I own Volkswagen Tiguan 4motion TDI 190 bhp DSG i find it very suitable for my needs at present we tow a 2 berth only brought last year but when we upgrade we like this .in the photo .
We find it great but it your choice at the end of the day ...

Snap I'm excited to start towing, as I also own a Tig 18 Plate 190 DSG R Line =) get her doing some miles , would I be right in thinking t the "knob" needs leaving in "sport" mode when towing?!!!

I have read a few videos of people complaining regarding the 150 vs 190 TDI model, i have driven both and the 190 DSG 4 Motion is like driving another car...

Having owned numerous cars over the past 6 years (8 in total), i would never buy another BMW, the engine parts they are now using are ridiculously cheap plastic housings on various parts and cost-cutting vs 15 years ago when things were metal casts etc, my E92 320D Coupe cost me over 5k in 1year of ownership to keep on the road and this was very common amongst BMW owners, not to mention the N47 Engine did the rounds all over the internet/watchdog for literally "blowing up". BMW shimmed any responsibility and quitely fixed it on the later models.

I wouldn't ever recommend anybody a BMW, their customer service is embarrassing.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts