BMW X5 30D or Discovery 3.0 HSE

Nov 26, 2023
Visit site
Hi All,

Currently have a 18 plate X5 30D which I have found great to tow with but it is just over 90k miles and looking at what the options are. I have been looking at the Discovery 3.0D HSE but wanted to get some feedback from owners. I could just stick with the X5 but wondered about a car the same sort of age but lower milage.

Ideal would be a new Defender 110 but I don't fancy paying more for a car that is used to tow, the odd drive in to Europe of airports for work. We have a new Polo that is used as a daily with the young child as its just easier to park.

Thanks

Oct 31, 2022
Visit site
You have a wide variety of cars suitable for that weight and more, perhaps looking at your non-towing needs would also be a factor. For example my X3 can tow 2400kg and apart from the cost reduction compared to the X5 actually fits in my garage.

Nov 26, 2023
Visit site
You have a wide variety of cars suitable for that weight and more, perhaps looking at your non-towing needs would also be a factor. For example my X3 can tow 2400kg and apart from the cost reduction compared to the X5 actually fits in my garage.
Thats true. Being in the second year of towing I would rather have a higher kerb weight for the tow car, hence the X5/Discovery options.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Thats true. Being in the second year of towing I would rather have a higher kerb weight for the tow car, hence the X5/Discovery options.
For me it would be a choice of a BMW X5 or a VW Touareg - I wouldn't want to be a Discovery owner given their famous issues. Depending on what size car you want/need there's also the Audi Q5 and Q7 as well as the Porsche Cayenne.

Reactions: Dustydog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts