Brake away cable

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I have a dedicated fixing point on my tow bar (or thought I had) So I bought the carabiner type cable/clip, that I could clip straight on to the bar. I've been told this morning that this is illegal and it must be looped around the tow ball., and can not be just clipped on. Which is a complete reversal of what I've been thinking for a good few years.
Thought it was the spring type clip that you had to loop on.
?????????

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I used a climbing strength certified screw down carabiner on a Skoda Superb as the tow bar hole was too badly positioned to attach the breakaway cable. Mine was the newer type of breakaway cable end . I’ve never heard of it being illegal. Some would say it’s better than looping it around the towball. That should only be done if the towbar hasn’t got a suitable attachment point. Here’s a link to the type I bought. It’s from a reputable manufacturer of climbing kit.

My breakaway was Alko delux type not the older type.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/safety-carabiners/1363814/?cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-bing-_-PLA_UK_EN_Personal_Protective_Equipment_&_Workwear_Whoop-_-Safety+Carabiners_Whoop-_-PRODUCT_GROUP&matchtype=e&pla-4574861729753241&s_kwcid=AL!7457!3!!e!!o!4574861729753241!&msclkid=aa3a1d2414c01ccc000d7c444c42c6fb&gclid=aa3a1d2414c01ccc000d7c444c42c6fb&gclsrc=3p.ds

Reactions: DaveA1
Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
I have a dedicated fixing point on my tow bar (or thought I had) So I bought the carabiner type cable/clip, that I could clip straight on to the bar. I've been told this morning that this is illegal and it must be looped around the tow ball., and can not be just clipped on. Which is a complete reversal of what I've been thinking for a good few years.
Thought it was the spring type clip that you had to loop on.
?????????

Whoever told you that is WRONG. Indeed, if you go to the Netherlands with your breakaway cable looped around the tow ball you will be pulled soon after leaving the docks and given a ticket. It is now illegal in the Netherlands not to use the supplied attachment point.

I can't see the DoT making the UK go backwards in safety?

Feb 29, 2020
Visit site
Who told you that? There are videos online from the clubs that explain how each type of cable can be used. I replaced our clip type one with a carabiner type so it could be attached to the tow bar fixing point as I feel it is far safer

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Who told you that? There are videos online from the clubs that explain how each type of cable can be used. I replaced our clip type one with a carabiner type so it could be attached to the tow bar fixing point as I feel it is far safer
I also replaced the spring type. Have used the carabiner type breakaway for a number of years now and, shall continue and the other person was in no daught I shall continue too use it that way. Had me wondering if the videos were out of date.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I broke my original one the other week, a spring clip type. ( Forgot to unclip when putting the van away) I always carry a spare in the car, which was a carabiner type. But no mention of the breaking strain on the packaging, this thread has got me wondering about its strength. It is made by Ring from Halfords.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I broke my original one the other week, a spring clip type. ( Forgot to unclip when putting the van away) I always carry a spare in the car, which was a carabiner type. But no mention of the breaking strain on the packaging, this thread has got me wondering about its strength. It is made by Ring from Halfords.
I’ve read that the breaking strength is 2 tonnes that’s why I chose a 38kN carabiner to attach my cable to.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Surely all breakaway cables and attachments should / must be sold with the minimum legal safe requirement ability?
They are normally rated for trailers up to 3500 kg according to NCC. But of course their purpose is to apply the brakes not tow a 3500 kg trailer 🤣

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
ok
I’ve never considered carrying a spare but it’s something I’m going to get.

Kev
That's not a bad idea because the cables can be easily damaged if you forget to disconnect before moving the car away from the caravan when pitching. How do I know? If you have never fitted one, have a good look and make sure you have the tools to do it with you. They can be tricky to fit.

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
There are still a lot of people out there still have a complete misunderstanding of procedures/techniques.

The person (as thread) still insists that it's illegal to attach the breakaway to a tow bar fixing point, must be looped.

Then after watching the latest "The Trudians" who, gave a reasonable explanation of caravan and tow car weights.

Someone asked if you should not be counting the passengers in the car kerb weight,

Yes, Put four fat controllers from "Thomas the Tank Engine" in a Mini and the can tow a twin axle van.

Peolpe get things fixed in thire minds and nothing or no one can change it.

Bit of a rant, delete if inappropriate Please.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
There are still a lot of people out there still have a complete misunderstanding of procedures/techniques.

The person (as thread) still insists that it's illegal to attach the breakaway to a tow bar fixing point, must be looped.

Then after watching the latest "The Trudians" who, gave a reasonable explanation of caravan and tow car weights.

Someone asked if you should not be counting the passengers in the car kerb weight,

Yes, Put four fat controllers from "Thomas the Tank Engine" in a Mini and the can tow a twin axle van.

Peolpe get things fixed in thire minds and nothing or no one can change it.

Bit of a rant, delete if inappropriate Please.
Passenger weights assume 75 kg, if only !!!!!!

Must adopt a couple of kids to get back to average. 🤣

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts