Brake Issue

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
Just got back from a few days away,
Took the van back to storage, There is quite a steep slope which I drove down with the intention of reversing back up so I could park it in one of the service bays...
However, when I came to reverse it felt like the brakes were on, on the caravan. I trickled forward a bit to see if they would release, which they did but once again when I tried to reverse they came on again??
I managed to get back up the slope eventually but the clutch on the car took a battering with a strong smell of burning.....

Any Ideas Guys??

Simon

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
Sproket said:
Have a look on this link

TROUBLE SHOOTING & FAULT FINDING P44

" OVER ADJUSTMENT of either the wheel brakes or
linkages, will result in difficult reversing causing the
wheels to ‘lock-up’. "

The brakes haven't had any work done on them since the last outing & I haven't noticed this before, Also its a Knott chassis, but I assume the principal is the same?

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
SmnByt said:
Sproket said:
Have a look on this link

wheels to ‘lock-up’. "

The brakes haven't had any work done on them since the last outing & I haven't noticed this before, Also its a Knott chassis, but I assume the principal is the same?

A bit more reading for you

Oh ! and found this ...

Instructions for Adjusting your Knott Braking System
SETTING UP YOUR BRAKING SYSTEM

Preparation:
• Jack the trailer up on level ground and check that it is completely stable
• Release the handbrake. Ensure the drawtube is fully extended out of the coupling.

General Requirements
• Always begin the setting up operation with the brakes.
• During set up, only rotate the wheels in the forward direction.
• Check that the brake cable is not under tension.
• The brake rod must not be under tension – if necessary slacken off at the cable balance bar.
• The cable must not be under tension – if necessary slacken off at the cable balance bar.

IMPORTANT
Never adjust the brakes at the brake rod or with the turnbuckles that may be on the brake rod. (These are
only for adjusting the length of the brake rod!)

SETTING UP INSTRUCTIONS
1. Brake
• Tighten the adjusting bolt in a clockwise direction until the wheel will not turn. NB: only rotate wheels in the
forward direction.
• Slacken off the adjusting bolt in an anti-clockwise direction (about ½ of a revolution) until the wheels turns
freely in the forward direction.
• Slight grinding noises which do not impede the motion of the wheel are normal.
• This adjustment procedure is to be repeated on each brake.

2. Brake Cable Balance Bar
• The brake cable balance bar and the main compensator on a tandem axle trailer are to be positioned
perpendicular to the direction of travel.
• If at any point the wheels are rotated in the reverse direction, there is a danger of the auto-reverse
mechanism being activated. In this event slacken the adjuster, rotate the wheel in the forward direction and
readjust the brake following detail under sequence number 1.

3. Brake Rod
• The length of the brake rod is to be adjusted so that there is neither play nor tension on it.
a. Firstly adjust the brake rod on the brake cable balance bar.
b. Secondly, adjust the turnbuckles (if there are any) on the brake rod.

4. Handbrake Lever
• Firmly activate the handbrake repeatedly in order to re-seat the braking components.
• Check the positioning of the cable balance bar. (Perpendicular to the direction of travel.)
• Check the operation of the handbrake lever.
• Overcentre lever – resistance begins at about 10-15mm above the overcentre point.
• Ratchet lever – resistance begins about the third tooth.

5. Final Check
• Check the security of the other components on the towing equipment and replace as required.
• Under normal braking a maximum of two thirds of the overall drawtube travel should be used.

6. Road Test
• If necessary test the brakes on a short journey. Re-check the adjustment on the brake rod.

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
Sproket said:
SmnByt said:
Sproket said:
Have a look on this link

wheels to ‘lock-up’. "

A bit more reading for you

Oh ! and found this ...

Instructions for Adjusting your Knott Braking System
SETTING UP YOUR BRAKING SYSTEM

Preparation:
• Jack the trailer up on level ground and check that it is completely stable
• Release the handbrake. Ensure the drawtube is fully extended out of the coupling.

General Requirements
• Always begin the setting up operation with the brakes.
• During set up, only rotate the wheels in the forward direction.
• Check that the brake cable is not under tension.
• The brake rod must not be under tension – if necessary slacken off at the cable balance bar.
• The cable must not be under tension – if necessary slacken off at the cable balance bar.

IMPORTANT
Never adjust the brakes at the brake rod or with the turnbuckles that may be on the brake rod. (These are
only for adjusting the length of the brake rod!)

SETTING UP INSTRUCTIONS
1. Brake
• Tighten the adjusting bolt in a clockwise direction until the wheel will not turn. NB: only rotate wheels in the
forward direction.
• Slacken off the adjusting bolt in an anti-clockwise direction (about ½ of a revolution) until the wheels turns
freely in the forward direction.
• Slight grinding noises which do not impede the motion of the wheel are normal.
• This adjustment procedure is to be repeated on each brake.

2. Brake Cable Balance Bar
• The brake cable balance bar and the main compensator on a tandem axle trailer are to be positioned
perpendicular to the direction of travel.
• If at any point the wheels are rotated in the reverse direction, there is a danger of the auto-reverse
mechanism being activated. In this event slacken the adjuster, rotate the wheel in the forward direction and
readjust the brake following detail under sequence number 1.

3. Brake Rod
• The length of the brake rod is to be adjusted so that there is neither play nor tension on it.
a. Firstly adjust the brake rod on the brake cable balance bar.
b. Secondly, adjust the turnbuckles (if there are any) on the brake rod.

4. Handbrake Lever
• Firmly activate the handbrake repeatedly in order to re-seat the braking components.
• Check the positioning of the cable balance bar. (Perpendicular to the direction of travel.)
• Check the operation of the handbrake lever.
• Overcentre lever – resistance begins at about 10-15mm above the overcentre point.
• Ratchet lever – resistance begins about the third tooth.

5. Final Check
• Check the security of the other components on the towing equipment and replace as required.
• Under normal braking a maximum of two thirds of the overall drawtube travel should be used.

6. Road Test
• If necessary test the brakes on a short journey. Re-check the adjustment on the brake rod.

Excellent thank you very much I shall check them out..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts