Brand New and a convertible - a few questions!

Hi all

Having been camping for the last 4 years and decided to move to a caravan, we sold the tent and looked at a few used vans. We decided on a new Sprite Major 4EB - mainly due to a good discount on a demonstrator. It was a close thing, nearly went for a 2014 Coachman, but the end bed decided it for us - would have had a Swift Pirouette but long delivery ruled that out. We decided against a tracker alarm, as if it gets stolen, we don't really want it back after someone's messed around with it ! We've also gone for an Isabella Ambassador Seed awning.

Towing car is an Audi A5 Convertible - 3.0TDI Quattro - V5 says towing weight is 1800 kg so it's getting it's removable swan-neck at the weekend. Don't think there are many convertible tow-cars, but it's a real bonus to find we can use it, and I have checked with Audi who say it's fine to use to tow.

So, a few questions:
The dealer is offering us Paint Guard protection for 399, and Tyron bands for another 225. What would your advice be? - I'm thinking maybe get the bands but leave the paint guard unless there's a really compelling reason?
I think I have to remove the paint from the tow ball for the anti-sway hitch (i know, no grease). Paint remover or emery paper? We've gone for a Powertouch Evolution motor mover, even though it is quite a light van - and removable if we decide to trade-up in the next 2-3 years.
Can't really decide on flooring for the awning - we've always camped on grass, so not sure what we need for hard-standing - Isabella have a comfort carpet and also an extra ground cover sheet - do I need a footprint as well? Any advice here gratefully received as we don't really know what to buy and already way over budget.

Finally, we've got yearly storage organised - will the leisure battery need charging in the winter or do we just disconnect and trust it - do people remove them?

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
StaffordConvertible said:
The dealer is offering us Paint Guard protection for 399, and Tyron bands for another 225. What would your advice be? - I'm thinking maybe get the bands but leave the paint guard unless there's a really compelling reason?

We went the other way - paint protection to make cleaning much easier (especially cleaning off the flies from the front) and not bothering with tyre bands (as the jury is still out on there effectiveness).

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
go for the paint protector.....I was sceptical but it really does work, showroom finish in 20mins (our is a twin axle so was £599....don't know how they work that one out!!!!)

Mar 14, 2005
jondogoescaravanning.com
I have the Tyron bands simply because they were on the van when I got it. Were I considering them afresh, I wouldn't bother. Instead I would go for some form of tyre pressure monitor system. Eighteen months ago I bought a six wheel system from a company in Shanghai for £95. The model was available from several Chinese outlets, all at the same price. Funny thing is they've all disappeared now and the same model is on sale with Tyrepal logo on it. Needless to say at a much higher price. It's comforting to know that the caravan is trundling along behind you and the tyres are all ok.

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
StaffordConvertible said:
Finally, we've got yearly storage organised - will the leisure battery need charging in the winter or do we just disconnect and trust it - do people remove them?

Take the leisure battery out over winter and keep it in your garage when you can charge it up every couple of months.

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I had a tow car paint sealed and it was a disaster! Just didn't work although I saw a caravan recently that had been sealed and I was impressed so mine might have been applied by a bodger. I think Tyron bands essential as they keep the tyre on the rim if you get a blow out. The tyre pressure monitor will alert you as the tyre deflates but then the tyre is off the rim. These managed motorways with no hard shoulder frighten me so I hope the bands might give me a chance to get to one of the refuges.

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Tow ball paint - enjoy arm ache with the emery paper - really worth the bother though otherwise the paint contaminates the brake discs within the head and they are costly to replace. As I also tow a trailer to the tip now and again I bought a spray can of brake cleaner - and use it with care to keep the tow ball pristine.

Awning mats is a matter of horses for courses - Depends a bit what you want to use the awning for - the stones/gravel of a hard standing or a patch of enclosed mown grass at not objectionable underfoot, but you can get awning mats in dedicated sizes - a bit of perforated groundsheet - or the squares that jigsaw together to provide a spongy surface (usually Aldi have sets at the beginning of the season!).

Although a seasoned caravanner we nearly got caught out on a hardstanding getting pegs into the ground last weekend. We were given some spares by a generous caravanner alongside and have since bought a set (currently hard ground pegs also in Aldi for less than 8.00 per 20!). If you read the forum thanks once again as without your help we were about to pack the porch away!

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Wow, well welcome, Tyron bands, always had them , tyre pressure indicarers, something else to look at. . But a safe item. Battery, we go out all year round, so not a problem.,love a fresh crisp morning, trying to coax the wife to take
the dogs out for a morning "walk .".

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have been round the Tyron debate debate many times. There is no scientifically sound conclusive evidence they improve the manageability of tyre deflation on caravans, and as such I strongly advise not t fit them. Its another way to get money out of gullible people.

Consider. if the bands were an effective solution and were saving money and lives, then they would be being fitted as standard to all vehicles or being a mandatory part of insurance companies policies.

If they were so good, then there would be a plethora of alternative manufacturers of similar devices.

When you have them, many tyre fitters can't fit new tyres.

If you want to spend your hard earned cash on something that has no proven advantage then be my guest.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Bands, no hard evidence either way.

Paint seal, never bothered myself so be guided by those that have.

Ball, emery paper. Have some brake cleaner to hand to keep clean. I spray and clean every time I hook up.

Battery, why not go out all year round like many of us do. You're not under canvas now! If you really want to lose your winter touring opportunities then remove and keep fully charged.

Awning carpet, You have more of an issue with needing rock pegs for hardstanding than deciding on what carpet to have. We rarely go on a hard standing as we just don't like them and in our case my wheelchair gets stuck more than it does on grass. For grass pitches if using flooring then a good quality breathable one is a must. Be prepared to lift that each day on some sites.

The two main clubs will advise you, as a new caravanner to stay within the 85% towing guide with regard to the car's kerb weight and the van not exceeding the 85% figure. The 1800kg towing max is just that a guide to how much you CAN tow but not a guide of the weight of towing caravan safely.

Check the max nose weight allowed towing with the car as well and make sure you can keep the caravan within these limits. If it has a fairly light maximum of 50-75kg you MAY struggle there.

Welcome to the merry band, that is the PC forum. Above all else enjoy! :cheer:

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have the paint seal on the car but it was thrown in with the deal. I cannot say I would pay for it though. As for Tyron bands I accept the Prof's position that they are not proven but that is no reason not to fit them. You have to weigh up the cost against the possibility that in the event of a tyre blowing out they may save a serious accident. I would not stop anyone fitting them as I simply do not know if they work so if you want to feel safer fit them and hope for the best.
I believe that the weight of the car should be sufficient for the caravan but have not checked. The 85% figure is suggested for beginners and is good advice for them but going a but over should not be a problem. The figure is the maximum weight the car can restart on a 12% hill and is not a safety consideration. Towing a caravan down a motorway with passing traffic, you need the cars weight to hold it steady so be aware of that. It should not be a problem provided the car is heavy enough.
I cannot advise on makes of awning carpets, but whatever you get it needs to be breathable or you risk damaging any grass that is below it. We have never bothered with one and have not had a problem.

May 20, 2017
Visit site
I'd recommend a paint sealant, although it's only as good as the person applying it. Badly applied, it's a waste of money; properly applied, it's worth every penny. I haven't applied any to my caravan yet (I only have it ten days), but I've applied it to my truck and motorbikes. A good paint sealant will stop dirt from sticking to it, so it stays cleaner for longer. It also makes cleaning much quicker and easier. It will also stop the paint from getting dull and faded.

If it was my caravan, I'd shop around. Contact car detailers and ask them how much they'd charge to apply it. I'd expect them to be good at applying it, as that's their speciality. It might also be cheaper because your caravan dealer has a captive market and can afford to charge a little more.

On that subject, I'd strongly recommend buying a proper microfibre sponge for washing it, not those yellow jumbo sponges and definitely not a brush, especially for washing the windows. Those cheap yellow sponges trap grit and dirt against the surface you are washing and it's like rubbing sandpaper to it. I will have to polish the windows on my caravan, as the previous owner put fine scratches on them when washing it.

Picked-up today, got home earlier and unpacked a load of stuff and just stopped for a breather so thought I'd update.

We got the Paint Seal - reasoning being this might add to resale if we ever trade-in or sell. Didn't bother with the Tyrons - the Prof said unproven, so went with his advice.

Dealer check-through handover and instruction was very thorough and comprehensive at Broad Lane Kenilworth.. The command system wouldn't pair on Bluetooth, so they upgraded the software, and 10 minutes later it's working perfectly. Seems a very cool solution for remote access with the Android app.

We had a starter pack including hitch lock, wheel lock, all pipes, Wastemaster and Aquaroll plus 2 Calor 6Kg propanes. I'd bought a cheap plastic nosewheel weight gauge, and this registered 100kg+ on first attempt to hitch - just way too heavy to manually lift the hitch as a rough check. Moved a lot of stuff and rearwards near the axle, and got this to around 75Kg - fine as my max weight is 80Kg .

Have decided to travel with just the one cylinder as this frees-up space in the gas locker, and will help with nose weight. We have a Cadac so will either use a butane 4.5kg cylinder or just uncouple the propane to run it. Not sure yet. Also not sure about max gas hose length for a Cadac - I bought 3 metres but maybe this is too long and might cause pressure drop? Advice welcome.

Wow - motor movers are a joy. Got he manual version Powrtouch evolution with wind-on lever - very impressed and saves mucking about reversing.

The Audi A5 3.0 Quattro convertible turns out to be a dream for a tow car - absolutely no swaying, and even at 60 on the motorway, arrow straight. Dropped to 50 to let lorries pass and no waggles from the pass - really impressed with how easy to was to tow. Non towing mpg was around 41 mpg - and as it got back this had dropped to 32.5 - so around 20% loss, but better than expected.

Biggest issue so far seems to be brake squeal from the Sprite. Very noticeable as I got back into town on any braking. Maybe it's because it's new and the linings are bedding-in? Anyone else had any similar squealing issues with a new van?

Otherwise really impressed with the build quality of the Sprite - haven't noticed any issues yet, and next step will be a shake-down trip locally to try the awning set-up (crikey, how many poles (20) for the Isabella Seed ?

Very very happy overall - can't wait to get out on a pitch now.

Jul 2, 2016
Visit site
Our Sprite Freedom 6 squealed on it's first trip out.

Been fine since so just took it to be brake dust from beding in brake shoes. Been fine since.

Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
Hi All.

The Tow match does look good on this car to this van.

What i will say though is that the gross weight of the car is 2345KG (assuming i found the right car - Audi A5 3.0 Tdi 245 Quattro S Line 2dr S Tronic [nav] Cabriolet / Convertibles 2014 - Onward) and the MTPLM of the Van is 1433.

Im not sure what license you hold or when you past your test, but you are like me and past after the change in 1997, you will to take a B+E driving test to be legal towing this set-up.

Just thought I would throw this out there before you ran into any potential problems!

Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
Regarding the squealing brakes. We picked up our new lunar clubman SR a few weeks back. The breaks squeal like crazy! I called the dealer and they said that they just need bedding in. We had our first outing a couple of weeks back to Devon. although the squealing hasnt completely gone yet, its certainly subsided a little., I was going to see what its like after the next trip to the new forest and it isn't fixed by them, will take it back.!!

I opted for the air awning, Little bit heavier but its up in seconds!

also went for the paint care - not quite sure what its done, but i wanted the interior treating to make it a little more pet proof! also live near dairy farm so struggle through the warmer months with Fly Poo! hopefully it will help!

According to the V5, the mass in service for the A5 convertible is 1935 - so this gives 1644 max towing at 85% advisory.

The Sprite 4EB is 1277 MIRO and 1433 MLTPM so I have a comfortable 210 kg spare

I was starting to tot-up the approx weight of the kit:
Awning & Poles 25kg
Awning carpet 3kg
Cadac 12kg
Table & Chairs 21kg

So that's 61kg before anything else - still another 95 kg available - and we'll be stowing most of it over the axles

Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
Hi SC - If you talking about the 3500kg allowance for being able to tow on a post 1997 license, its based on the limits of what can hold (Total potential gross weight) 2345kg (i,e. the weight the car can be in full load. + the MTPLM of the van.

I fell into the exact same mistake when i got mine a few months ago. as i was looking at the kerb weight of the car. I had it clarified by the DVLA and had to bite the bullet and take the test!

Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
What you need to do is find the MAM (Maximum Authorised Mass) of the car + the MTPLM of the caravan and if the combined is over 3500kg, you need a B+E licenses (Unless you passed prior to 1997)

Feb 28, 2017
Visit site
In that case you are well away!!! According to the CCC you are at 75% on your match. I did look at the a5 convertible as my towing car. That and the e class were the only capable machines of pulling at that weight of van. (Ours is a similar size) but ended up with back doors. The boss put her foot down on practicality!

First trip away this week will be Stratford Upon Avon Riverside, followed by Bridgnorth. Can't wait!
Had a few issues with the Sargent remote control app - turns out the dealer had programmed the wrong heater type in. Sargent Tech support talked me through a very simple fix to re-configure and it's now working perfectly - means we can set the heating to come on by remote control, rather than a timer and check the GPS location, battery and levels remotely.
Only thing we're not looking forward to is first go at putting up the full-length Isabella awning - I've seen these described as divorce in a bag, so we'll have to see....

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Putting an awning up is NOT a divorce in a bag and is indeed very straight forward.

Before going away lay out all the poles where they should go and colour code the joints so as you know what goes where and which joints go together.

Before pulling awning into the rail (the right way round inner roof inside outer outside, lay out all your poles on the ground approximately where they will be going.

Ensure all your front and side panels are removed from the main part of the awning as this will make it lighter and thus easier to pull through.

With a little practice putting up the awning is a one man (or in our case one woman) job

You're lucky in that you have a full awning, this we've always found easier to put up than a porch. Isabella awnings are the easiest we've had for erection.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts