Brand New and a convertible - a few questions!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
So... first trip was excellent. No problems towing with the hood down, and arrived on site at Stratford Riverside in 27C temperatures. Very friendly staff and went to a grass pitch which was pull-on pull-off and dead level. Avoided divorce by removing side and front panels of the awning and went-up first time after sorting the poles. Will buy some coloured tape to colour code these next time. We'd also bought some foam interlocking floor tiles which we put down, but not really needed on a grass pitch. Reception gave us a 10% voucher for food & drink at the on-site clubhouse - wow this is a huge seriously impressive Swedish-style wooden 2 storey structure on the banks of the river Avon with fantastic views. We thought food was good and reasonable. River taxi runs every 30 minutes into town (or a 15-20 minute walk if you prefer). No on-site shop apart from gas at reception, but there is a Spar at the end of the road, and excellent pub (The Crown) just beyond it. Showers & toilets good and clean although showers a bit too hot. Site seemed very popular and busy, but very quiet and peaceful. We will book to return here in September - as 99% perfect for us. Stratford is full of visitor attractions, restaurants (we rcommend Giggling Squid Thai) and shopping
Then on to Standon Hall, Bridgnorth to a full-service hard-standing pitch. Site very pretty with a lake and resident ducks and peacock. Showers & toilets even better and brilliant showers. Shop on site but no clubhouse, and nearest pub in Morfe around 20 minute walk. We definitely needed the foam floor tiles here. The rubber mallet bounced-off the hard pegs so we gave-up. You'd need a big lump hammer to get those things in as it felt like concrete. Neither of us could understand why anyone would chose a hard-standing, as we were constantly scrunching bits of gravel into the awning and would have been misery without the foam flooring. Day trip out to Ludlow and Bewdley and came back to partially-collapsed awning due to no pegs.
Learns - we'll never book a summer hard-standing pitch again - grass all the way now. Need to practice reversing with the caravan - nearly got it but it's knowing when to take the turn off. Cadac was brilliant. Nearby pub is a must for us. Need to sort out the TV aerial as no picture at Stratford but perfect at Bridgnorth. Maybe we need to buy a second aqua roll as we needed a few fills at Stratford. Must remember to turn the tracker alarm off when we pull off site to prevent activation calls.
All in all a fantastic break and looking forward to the next trip. Riverside is our number 1 choice to return, mainly due to close facilities.

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the updates and glad you had a good time. :cheer: :cheer:

I must say we aren't keen on hard standing because my wheelchair ends up sinking. Grass I can get around on much easier.

Swmbo still hasn't mastered reversing but we have found a good system for when she needs to. I lean over and use my steering wheel knob and look in the mirrors. She works the pedals under instruction. :whistle: :whistle:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts