BRAND NEW Bailey Pursuit 570/6 (2017)

Mar 20, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

We have been looking at a van which is a 2017 year model and is brand new being sold at a dealer.

My question is there any reason why a dealer would still be sitting with stock this old?

New to new caravan buying.

Thanks.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Probably because you hadn't come along yet ! There is probably nothing wrong with it as when we started 6 years ago we bought a brand new Bailey's Orion - but the previous year model as that to having not been sold the previous year and there was nothing wrong with it it just hadn't been sold .

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Agreed, its quite common, and there are some bargains to be had. Same with awnings. The only word of caution is to make sure that it isnt an ex-display model as these very often have a harder life than a used caravan. Unless of course ex-display doesnt bother you. If it is ED, it should NOT be marked as NEW.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
My advice would be to try to find out why this brand new 2 year old caravan is still on the dealers forecourt.
Was it bought previously and rejected as being unfit for purpose?
Has it been used as a display model?
The caravan is shown as being 2017 but it will have been manufactured some time before it went to the dealership. How long before?
Don't forget that the caravan will attract a much lower part ex value by virtue of its age if you bought it and decided to change it in the future.
I don't want to put you off what could be a bargain buy, but buyer beware!
Find out a lot more before committing to anything.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Has it been registered in which case you may not obtain the full makers warranty. That starts from date of first registration in its log book. Generally coincides with PDI.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
The dealers look at what they expect to sell at the start of each model year and order stock accordingly. If as often happens they get it wrong, then they will have the odd caravan left when the new models arrive, Once the caravan is last years model it is harder to sell and the odd one does get left possibly because the dealer is not giving the discount needed to shift it. As Parksy says there may be another reason either as it was the display model or it was returned so do check this.
If it was rejected find out why and if it was on display do check for missing bits as a bit of theft on them is common.
If you buy a past years model it will have dropped in value so you should be looking at a good discount to cover this, but otherwise if it is what you want then it could be a bargain. Given how long the dealer has had it I would think they will be desperate to sell it, so bargain hard and do check that the warranty will run from the date of sale.
You could get a new caravan for far less than the rest of us so good luck.

Mar 20, 2019
Visit site
Thank you to everyone who has responded so far. A lot of very useful information and things to both check and consider.

The van is priced on the forecourt at £17k and the sale price is £15,100. The review on this site it states the price as £16.5k. Does this seem like a 'good' discount?

To find out if it has been registered, the only way is to check the log book?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
LeMans said:
Thank you to everyone who has responded so far. A lot of very useful information and things to both check and consider.

The van is priced on the forecourt at £17k and the sale price is £15,100. The review on this site it states the price as £16.5k. Does this seem like a 'good' discount?

That’s one way. The other is ask the dealer when it’s makers warranty for equipment and damp expires. If it’s not been registered you should expect the as new warranty. Mine was manufactured November 2011. A 2012 model year. But sold in April 2013. So my warranty for damp ingress expires 20 April 2019. It only had six years damp ingress warranty. But newer model year vans started off with 10 years for first owner.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
When buying, as Parksy has written beware, which means asking all the relevant questions of the dealer before you agree to buy. The dealer is required to answer truthfully.

As someone has already said, if it was an display model, it should not be describes as a "New" caravan but it might be describe "as new" which is subtly different. it means that in the eyes of the dealer its as good as new, but it has some history. Look for any signs of usage or heavy footfall, which might suggest its not fresh off the production line.

Parksy also suggested it might have been bought previously and rejected as being unfit for purpose? Again in this circumstance it should not be described as "brand new" as it has had a previous owner even if it was for for only a minute!

Don't assume anything, ask, and even keep a note of what you have asked and who answered.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
LeMans said:

There's no 'log book' as such, but all new caravans have CRiS registration which is a form of HPI check for caravans.
As mentioned previously, check the warranty but remember that as soon as you tow the caravan off the forecourt you own a 2017 caravan and second hand prices will reflect this.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Remember also that its a buyes market. Somebody has already said that they feel the dealer will be glad to sell it. I strongly suspect that you can get the price down even further. Its not unknown to get a motor mover thrown in.

Buying the caravan isnt the end of it, the ancilliary equipment will cost you a fair piece, awning, wastemaster, aquaroll, ground sheet, Cadac, that is the ALL IMPORTANT CADAC, leisure battery, and thats just the main stuff. Whatever you can get thrown in will go a long way to sweetening the deal. Bargain hard, and make them think you are prepared to walk away.

As a comparision see:

See https://www.penrosetouring.co.uk/bailey-pursuit-570-6.html
DEAL INCLUDES:-

Bailey Pursuit 570-6 2017 Ex-Display Caravan ( £17,564 inc delivery cost )
Start-Up Kit including security package ( £437 )
Full Awning including an awning carpet ( £1,302 )

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
otherclive said:
LeMans said:

That’s one way. The other is ask the dealer when it’s makers warranty for equipment and damp expires. If it’s not been registered you should expect the as new warranty. Mine was manufactured November 2011. A 2012 model year. But sold in April 2013. So my warranty for damp ingress expires 20 April 2019. It only had six years damp ingress warranty. But newer model year vans started off with 10 years for first owner.

Clive ,
The Bailey water ingress Warranty says:-
Bailey Alu-Tech caravans are covered by a six (6) year Bodyshell Integrity Warranty from the initial date of purchase.
Plus for a fee the Warranty can be extended to 10 years.
My take on this is the Warranty runs from the date of purchase . Probably the first purchase paying heed to Parksy’s earlier. So if this is a reject the start date will be interesting.
That said we all know the Dealer carries the can.
Could be a great bargain as long as all the double checks are done.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
otherclive said:
LeMans said:

Clive ,
Bailey Alu-Tech caravans are covered by a six (6) year Bodyshell Integrity Warranty from the initial date of purchase.
My take on this is the Warranty runs from the date of purchase . Probably the first purchase paying heed to Parksy’s earlier. So if this is a reject the start date will be interesting.

Dusty
when my van was bought New by the first owner all Swifts of MY 2012 only had 6 year damp ingress warranty. It was around 2013My that Swift introduced the 10 year warranty to coincide with the use of water impermeable scantlings etc. So mine although made in November 2011 was classed as New when bought by Owner No 1. So he got the full warranty. The rub is that when/if I trade it in it will be classed as a 2012 caravan for trade in price. Not really a problem for me as I bought it in 2017 at a good price so its depreciation peak is well passed. But it could be a financial hit for a first owner if they decide to trade up within 2-3 years. But saying that if they got it at a depreciated price then its swings and roundabouts.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:
...Clive ,
Hello Dusty,
There should be no confusion, if your quote is correct, then the initial date of purchase is the very first time the caravan is detailed. Even if it has been rejected, the manufacturers warranty period has started and runs from that date. Subsequent owners will suffer the loss of that initial period.

However, the CRA cover starts from the date of the new owners purchase.

Many moons ago I had an experience with a second hand car, where a main dealer sold me a car, with a third party warranty policy. I was given a policy document and a policy number when I collected the car, also there was a line on my receipt that showed I had paid the policy premium.

I had reason to claim on the policy, only to discover the dealer had not registered it with the insurance company. I successfully negotiated with the dealership to do the repairs and supply an equivalent courtesy vehicle and get my premium returned.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would assume that the price quoted by the dealer is a starting price and there is still room for negotiation. It is a bit higher than if you were buying secondhand but if you get the extra two years warranty then you might find that worthwhile. I would make sure that the warranty will apply though as if someone else had bought and then returned it it might have had the warranty registered then.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Don't be put off if this Bailey Pursuit has stood on the forecourt and had many people threw it seeing what it is like , when we bought ours a few years ago ours was was the same , it was the one that everyone was looking through opening doors etc etc and we chose that one , we just took a bit of paper in and wrote down everything that was loose or needed sorting like a snag list kind of thing and I can't fault them as everything was put to right and was spot on when we picked it up .

Good luck .

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Don't be put off if this Bailey Pursuit has stood on the forecourt and had many people threw it seeing what it is like

I agree. My current caravan we bought used, and it had finished up with the dealer not long after the initial owner bought it. Due to the price, and the weight of the caravan which is heavy for a single axle and too much for many saloon/estate cars, it then stood with the dealer for quite a while, and due to its different looks inside, no doubt had a lot of visits. None of this detracted from the caravan and although the dealers PDI was poor, my wife quickly brought it up to spec.
You will be able to tell quite easily if its had a heavy footfall, but due to its age, as we have all said, the dealer will want it gone, and if you are prepared to bargain hard, you should get a far better deal than the one you initially mentioned.

Mar 20, 2019
Visit site
Thanks you to everyone who contributed.
After looking around and discussions with a couple of dealers they are doing good discounts on 2019 models which is looking more attractive.

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the Sprite Major club ! :p
So what was included in your good deal then ; I hope you say a motor mover because they are a heavy van to push and pull about and manoeuvre by hand !
Yous'll not be disappointed with your chosen van .

P.s , what happened to the Bailey Pursuit then !?! ;)

Mar 20, 2019
Visit site
Included in the deal / final price were the manufactures Diamond Pack and Panoramic Sun Roof, AGM Leisure Battery, Powrtouch Evolution manual engagement motor mover, AL-KO ATC trailer control, SwiftShield upholstery scheme and 100 Watt Solar Panel. All of this for pretty much the list price.

We looked at a 2018 model but the dealer couldn't get close to the 2019 price.

For us, the main issue with the Bailey was from reading the PC comprehensive review that the Front Single Bed O/S is only 1.55m long which did not suit our requirements.

The deal on the new van was just too tempting...

Mar 20, 2019
Visit site
Craigyoung said:
Welcome to the Sprite Major club ! :p
So what was included in your good deal then ; I hope you say a motor mover because they are a heavy van to push and pull about and manoeuvre by hand !
Yous'll not be disappointed with your chosen van .

P.s , what happened to the Bailey Pursuit then !?! ;)

Thanks, reply above..

Mar 20, 2019
Visit site
Megabusa55 said:
I'll be collecting mine later in the month. Are you happy with it? How did the handover go?

Simon

Since collection not had an opportunity to fully explore but very impressed so far.

A lot of technology, things have moved on a bit from our 1997 Sterling Europa!

Handover took over 2.5 hrs a loads to cover...

Mar 20, 2019
Visit site
LeMans said:
Included in the deal / final price were the manufactures Diamond Pack and Panoramic Sun Roof, AGM Leisure Battery, Powrtouch Evolution manual engagement motor mover, AL-KO ATC trailer control, SwiftShield upholstery scheme and 100 Watt Solar Panel. All of this for pretty much the list price.

We looked at a 2018 model but the dealer couldn't get close to the 2019 price.

For us, the main issue with the Bailey was from reading the PC comprehensive review that the Front Single Bed O/S is only 1.55m long which did not suit our requirements.

The deal on the new van was just too tempting...

... also external BBQ / 230v points, tyrons and alarm.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts