Breakaway cable vs chain

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Dec 11, 2021
Visit site
I have found the NZ standard.For trailers 2000 kg or less " Safety chain required unless fitted with a breakaway cable.Safety chain must be of sufficient strength to hold the trailer secure under all conditions of road use " Maybe it's just my own paranoia having used trailers continuously but only recently owning a UK caravan with the breakaway system. I still feel more confident with that chain though.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I have found the NZ standard.For trailers 2000 kg or less " Safety chain required unless fitted with a breakaway cable.Safety chain must be of sufficient strength to hold the trailer secure under all conditions of road use " Maybe it's just my own paranoia having used trailers continuously but only recently owning a UK caravan with the breakaway system. I still feel more confident with that chain though.
Looks like you’ve answered your question with your latest post. Your regulations give you the choice of the two options. Be interested in your final decision. Good luck in your touring anyway.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts