Breakdown Cover

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
Ihave my Caravan Breakdown cover with the AA I did not know this but they will only recover caravans upto 2.3 m wide this goes for most of the well known breakdown services including Mayday .my caravan is a new Sterling Elite it is 2.31 m wide so will not be picked up by the AA .Dies enybody out there know of a company that will Disapointed with the AA

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
1 cm is about 1/2". I am sure that if you need to have the van transported on the back of a recovery vehicle, no one would be able to tell the difference between 2.3 mtr & 2.31 mtr.
If you had to call out the AA & they ask the width of the van just tell them its 2.3 mtr
I think that problems are going to occur with the new 8' wide vans

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Alan
The reason for you comment failing to load may be because you are using Internet Explorer 9 which is incompatible with some website including this one.
Click Here for simple instructions on how to activate the compatibility mode for this forum on IE9

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
We had this problem a few years back when we changed our van to twin axle 8 metre one. I asked on here and a few people came forward with ADAC we joined four years ago used them last April and find their service second to none.
Details and more info are on my website as below and the ADAC website as posted above, you may need Google Translate for this website. The problem with the CC and C & CC policies. CC use Green Flag who will only retreive larger caravans through CC. Then we found the price very high needing European Cover. They quoted us about £350 so we took ADAC Partner Plus Package for 98.70 Euro's for a year. Covering Europe and the UK. Same price what ever size, age and has not gone up for over 4 years. Cover is excellent, more than just Breakdown Cover, includes Illness and Accident.

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I was with AA for years and my Discvery broke down whilst towing.On homeward travel talking to driver i only found out that if it had been a failure with my caravan, ie untowable due to wheel bearings ect, i would not of been covered but would of had to pay for them to recover.I have ever since dropped AA and have RAC Arrival cover with C&C Club which will give full cover.

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site
I stand corrected about Mayday Iphoned the caravan breakdown number on the Caravan Club website that put me through to Green Flag. They said they would not pick up a caravan over 2.3 m wide .However if you book through Maday on the website they will pickup the caravan .The Caravan Club have an agreement with Green Flag to pick up larger caravans. The same goes for the Caravan & Camping Club they have a similar agreement with the RAC .BEST TO CHECK DONT WANT TO BE STUCK ON THE M5 WITH TW0 KIDS TWO DOGS AND THE WIFE

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
The RAC arrangement through CC had a length restriction less than my twin axle when i tried them last year to see if they were any cheaper than mayday. Needless to say stuck with Mayday which incidently is much cheaper than the AA and RAC for our needs with both cars included.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Not so,
I copied this from the RAC Arrival website.

1. Vehicle weight, width and length restrictions
Proprietary vehicles

Car None
Van None Up to 3.5 tonnes
Motorhome None
Minibus None Up to 3.5 tonnes None Up to 2.3metres
Caravan/Trailer/Trailer tent None

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
when we stated caravanining in 2007 we had a similar problem as the aa had lengh resrictions and had to have alko stabilizer fitted which our 1991 swift challenger didnt have so went with rac there was no restictions but i may be wrong now

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Are you talking about UK Cover because I thought the length problem only affected European Cover. I was told by Green Flag 4 years ago the reason tthey would not insure our 8 mtr. caravan was because you could it would not fit into a container. The only cover we could get was C & C club or CC Red Penant for European Breakdown but at a huge price. Went with ADAC at 98.70 Euros then and it is the same price today..

TRENDING THREADS