BRRR !! its cold !!

Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
Hi All

I dont want to completely drain my van off because am still hoping to get away in it, but its going to be very cold tonight !!!!! Always drain the main tank anyway to avoid weight but do I need to do anything else ??? If I did want to put it away for winter what do I do other than the main tank !!! Sorry for being dim this is my first season !!!!

Tina x

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
drain water heater

drain water from system(leave taps open)put plugs in

drain toilet flush

replace water filter ready for next season(old one will be water saturated)

some people change the vents on fridge etc (blank off)

switch all off that needs to be off

its up to you,put caravan on axle stands

can anybody add owt else

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tina,

after draining the system I always leave the taps open,as water expands when frozen,any small amounts of water left in pipes could cause a problem.

I have found that the non returnable valve built into the system is the first to go.

Also don't forget the shower,leave it open as well.

Hope this helps.

G

Remove cushions to a warm dry place.

Remove gas cylinders to the garage. Keep them, at a low level

Don't lower the blinds unless you want them to stop working correctly.

Don't leave anything visible that may attract thieves

Fit wheelclamp and towhitch lock

Leave all taps open and the shower lying in the shower tray

Remove all food

May 20, 2005
Visit site
One thing that has not been mentioned is to drain the flush tank for the cassete toilet also once drained operate the flush pump to remove any water that may be in it, then use vegetable oil on the seal to stop it sticking.

Jun 7, 2005
Visit site
On a similar note

Would it be safe to just drain the onboard tank leaving the water heater full and plugged in to the mains to prevent freezing. Or would the evaporation over time be sufficient to remove enough water from the system so that damage was caused to the element.

May 25, 2005
Visit site
We are lucky enough to be able to store our 'van on our driveway. This enables us to make sure that it gets aired occasionally during the winter months.

We have also just arrived back home with some 'Moisture Mate' which helps to keep the damp down in the van over the storage period. We used it in a huge Hobby (2 canisters) and it was amazing how much water was taken out of the 'air' over the winter period.

Another suggestion that may be helpful. If you store your van under cover it is useful to ensure that rodents are not resident guests. By using some mesh 'soap' bags (normally used in the washing machine) filled with a few mothballs and hung at the four corners is a fantastic rodent deterent.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts