Budrader

Sep 22, 2023
Visit site
I've been caravanning for around 30yrs but it's time to move onto a seasonal pitch
We have had 2 oven lids explode and believe me can be dangerous
Reason for above while cleaning cought electric hob nob and the heat caused lid to explode
I'm looking to put a aluminium lid on in place of another glass
Has anyone any other ideas and does anyone know the dimensions of Thetford glass lid.
Please everyone be mindful of what happened to us and be careful
Cheers Steve

Reactions: Hutch

JB1

Aug 4, 2022
Visit site
Hi , my brother in law nearly caught his camper van alight by accidentally turning the electric hob on, so he unplugs the hob under the cooker and i have done the same. At lest the hob can’t be turned off by accident. A friend of mine nearly caught a house alight accidentally turn on an electric hot plate hob while decorating the kitchen with the hob covered by a dust sheet. So now always turns off cookers when he is working in a kitchen. All to close for comfort.

Reactions: budrader
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It’s not just electric jobs. I mistakenly laid oven gloves over a gas ring that was on minimum setting. Good test of fire alarms.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Welcome to the Forum. By all means go for an aluminium lid but make sure you use the existing hinges . Depending on your model , most lids work a gas cut off valve to the hob.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If using the aluminium lid the danger may be increased if the electric hob is switched on accidentally. The aluminium will get hot and anything left on top may catch fire. The other issue is if someone places their hand on the aluminium lid they may end up with a severely burnt hand. Easier to remove the knob altogether to stop is accidentally switching on.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Our cooker has a cut off so you cannot have the gas on when the lid is down and assumed that it applied to he electric ring as well. Am I wrong.

Sep 22, 2023
Visit site
If using the aluminium lid the danger may be increased if the electric hob is switched on accidentally. The aluminium will get hot and anything left on top may catch fire. The other issue is if someone places their hand on the aluminium lid they may end up with a severely burnt hand. Easier to remove the knob altogether to stop is accidentally switching on.
Ye take your point thanks

Sep 22, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. Our cooker has a cut off so you cannot have the gas on when the lid is down and assumed that it applied to he electric ring as well. Am I wrong.
Yes your wrong apparently electric used to cut off but not anymore switch in cupboard under cooker

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts