Bumper guards.

May 18, 2006
Visit site
There are a lot of tow vehicles with these bumper guards fitted that obscure part of the number plate. Surely this can't be legal.

There are also some towbars that obscure number plates even without a guard fitted. I wonder how they got past the design stage since they are probably illegal.

Graeme.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
Manufacturers of fixed towbars are not obliged to take the position of the number plate into account as they can always argue that the number plate (of course, including the respective lights) can be moved accordingly, and that would be the responsibility of the fitter of the towbar or car owner.

Car manufacurers faced with the same problem in the design stage can get around the problem by only offering detachable towbars. If owners decide not to use the car manufacturer's recommended towbar then they stand to face any consequences, not the towbar manufacturer.

May 18, 2006
Visit site
Thanks Lutz. I have seen some vehicles, normally 4X4's where the fixed towbar obscures part of the number plate so the owner has fitted another plate higher up on the back of the car. The problem with this is that there is often no number plate light!

I wonder what the fine/points would be for an obscured number plate?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
What about bike racks which obscure both lights and number plate? they are generally to be seen in lane three, either doing a ton, or right up the tailpipe of the guy doing a legal 70.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Emmerson these drivers fall into the catergory of "what drivers would you like to see banned from the road" - same section but different topic area to this one.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Emmerson these drivers fall into the catergory of "what drivers would you like to see banned from the road" - same section but different topic area to this one.
Agreed colin, but the subject included obscured number plates. I'm with BigAL though, all other drivers should be banned, leaving the roads for me(and perhaps a few other favoured Welshmen)

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
What about bike racks which obscure both lights and number plate? they are generally to be seen in lane three, either doing a ton, or right up the tailpipe of the guy doing a legal 70.
any rear mounted bikes obscuring a number plate or lights ,should by law carry a lighting board with number plates matching your vehicle

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts