bunk bed toddler safety

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi, just bought our brand new (and first ever) van. We've two small children, the youngest being 20 months. She's usually in a cot but I'm not sure a travel cot will fit in the bedroom of our van. I've heard of 'netting' to act as a safety barrier but can't find it anywhere even though I've followed links etc. A standard toddler bed guard may stop her falling out (assuming it fits the bunk of course) but it wouldn't stop her climbing out!! Can anyone suggest tips or suppliers to help keep her safely 'imprisoned'!! Our van is a Bailey Ranger 540/6. Thank u!

Mar 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi Angel

My brother in law has made a modification to his Bailey 540/4, along the lines of keeping our nephew in place. He made a bed guard by cutting a board of thin MDF the size of the bunk length and about 18" high, shaped and profiled the top edge to lose the sharp edges, He puts our nephew in there for bed time and to keep him safely out of harms way. The board gets stowed under one of the lounge seat cushions, resting on the slats, when not in use and allows them to use the dinette table. Parents and child seem to be pretty pleased with the arrangement!

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi Angel ,

I was given some advice to try a sail maker / boat chandlers when I had a similar problem with a motorhome

I never actually got it sorted though as we sold the MH in the end.

However I did talk to a sailmaker based in Walsall in the West Midlands and he said he could make me a netting to any specification I needed. I dont recall it being to expensive either

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi Angel ,

I was given some advice to try a sail maker / boat chandlers when I had a similar problem with a motorhome

I never actually got it sorted though as we sold the MH in the end.

However I did talk to a sailmaker based in Walsall in the West Midlands and he said he could make me a netting to any specification I needed. I dont recall it being to expensive either

Aug 8, 2007
Visit site
Hi Angel

Our 2 year old princess sleeps in the bottom bunk with no worries at all. We tuck the duvet in around her and she stays put most nights.....

If you're worried, you could put one of the seat cushions on the floor by the bed. Our little darling used to sleep in those 'Grobags' (daft name methinks!) which tended to hamper her movements, thus not allowing her to fall out. Much. Ok - she did occasionally slip out - but there was no damage...because she did just that....slipped. Lately she's stayed in bed all night. Hoorah.

The mesh is a good idea for top bunks with younger children - but it could also be quite claustrophobic too. We don't intend letting Little Missy up there until she's a good year older (at least).

We tried a standard bed-guard but that didn't fit. Wrong dimensions.

As for keeping them imprisoned - fat chance. If they wake up and want to get out - they will! One way or another!

Have fun!

Mac

Dec 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi Angel

We had this problem last year with my grand daughter, I bought a second hand cot off ebay (10 quid), took the cushions off, one of the front seats, the cot then sat on top of the slats, we had cut off one leg to get it to fit tie wrapped the cot to the slats under the mattress and this worked a treat.

I still have the cot, if you would like it please get the mod to give my email address, email me and we can arrange to get it over to you

Jan 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi we are facing the same problem with our 1 year we are going to buy a golf net driving net from argos page 170 tomorrow and try to adapt it with hooks and eyes will let you know if it works

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
gosh thanks everyone for being so helpful!! Went to pick up our shiny new van today from the dealer and he recommended badminton netting from a sports store, stapling it to the slats under the mattress and adding hooks/pressstuds to clip it up. I know what u mean about it being claustrophobic though Mark, I'm sure she'll prob go a bit ballistic! maybe stitching on a fabric picture of Miffy or something might distract her from the fact of being 'imprisoned'!I now have a few weeks to ponder my (now many varied) options. Thank u all, I'll let u know the end result! (please let me know how you get on with Argos net Gary!)

Angel

Angel

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi Angel

We had this problem last year with my grand daughter, I bought a second hand cot off ebay (10 quid), took the cushions off, one of the front seats, the cot then sat on top of the slats, we had cut off one leg to get it to fit tie wrapped the cot to the slats under the mattress and this worked a treat.

I still have the cot, if you would like it please get the mod to give my email address, email me and we can arrange to get it over to you
thanks Alb, will try out netting idea, but if it doesn't work (ie if she screams a lot!) I may get back to you on that one.

Jan 14, 2007
Visit site
hi angel,

as regards the golf net and the baby.....

if i use a 3 iron the baby bounces straight off the net and back to bed however a well hit pitching wedge and baby is up and over for a good 50 yards!!!!!!!!!!!!!

actually not made it to argos yet but will keep you informed ps beechwood grange is spot on for young families .check out swimming pool at Monks Cross ,wave machine water slides etc,we did it 2weeks ago

Gary

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
LOL!

Actually the hubby recommends a sand wedge as our caravan has triple bunks.........!

Ta for 'top tips' re pool. The kids will prob be scared of the waves but they can't get all their own way. It's our holiday too!!

Angel

Aug 26, 2017
Visit site
Hi Angel

How did your first trip out go? Weve just picked up our first caravan and actually going away tomorrow. I have a 1 yr old and a five year old. Just wondered how you got on and what you solution was to keeping your youngest in bed and not falling out during the night?

Ive noticed a few options for bunk safety nets...which i think could be a good long term solution, but may need to fashion something for this trip.

Help appreciated.
Neil.

Parksy

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi Neil
I should imagine that the child in need of a caravan bunk safety net is well past the toddler stage and preparing to enter secondary education soon, considering that the question was asked almost ten years ago!
If you are genuinely asking about bunk safety nets it would be better to post a question as a new topic yourself after all this time.

TRENDING THREADS