Buying Satellite Dish in Spain?

Aug 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi there

We are over near Barcelona, first time with caravan abroad and are surrounded by satellite dishes on camp site!! Had decided not to bother as the guy in Maplin said the ones they sell won't work here. Maybe change our mind now,we are over for a good few weeks. Where to get one here and approx euros?? Haven't seen any in shops at all.

Cheers

Carole

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
We bought a Dish in Le Roy Merlin near Marbella when in Spain in 2006. It had a free Freeview Box with it and was about 60 euros. We did use it in Spain but you need to set it up right there is a special number you have to log in to get a picture but the best advice I can give is to ask another Brit on the site where you are staying to help you with set up.

You will need a stand/tripod for the dish I believe Le Roy Merlin had these too. If there is no Le Roys near to you try any B&Q type company.

A good web site to look at is the Satalite for Caravanners for info.

We already had an aerial with us but it was a smaller one that worked in the UK and everywhere else but Spain we now carry the larger one all the while and use it everywhere. We have used it in Belgium, France, Austria, Italy and Germany with excellent picture.

Hope this info. helps you and you get fixed up OK.

Dianne

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
We bought a Dish in Le Roy Merlin near Marbella when in Spain in 2006. It had a free Freeview Box with it and was about 60 euros. We did use it in Spain but you need to set it up right there is a special number you have to log in to get a picture but the best advice I can give is to ask another Brit on the site where you are staying to help you with set up.

You will need a stand/tripod for the dish I believe Le Roy Merlin had these too. If there is no Le Roys near to you try any B&Q type company.

A good web site to look at is the Satalite for Caravanners for info.

We already had an aerial with us but it was a smaller one that worked in the UK and everywhere else but Spain we now carry the larger one all the while and use it everywhere. We have used it in Belgium, France, Austria, Italy and Germany with excellent picture.

Hope this info. helps you and you get fixed up OK.

Dianne
Just looked on the web. If you go onto www.leroymerlin.es you will find the addresses of 3 LeRoys depots near Barcelona.

Good luck

Dianne

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
As we all know, satellite reception gets worse the further you travel down in Spain. Even having said that, it is not the end of the story !! If you look up

http://www.sam-radford.me.uk/astra2d.htm
you will find a page showing the footprint for areas south and east of the UK with the dish size required for the various areas, and from that it will be obvious that you should decide where you are going and buy a dish appropriate to that area.

On the subject of buying dishes, you really must shop around. In anticipation of going down into the Mojacar area for four months in the 08/09 winter, enquiries I have made for the prices of the dish size I require have ranged from _380 down to _185.

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Did not find this web site near as good as wwwsatelliteforcaravans.co.uk as I mentioned last night. You can find all about sizes of antena's you need for Spain and settings too.

You could really not do any better, than as I mentioned last night, ask various caravanners on your site what they use and what reception and settings they have.

We are not experts on Spain as we have only been once, prefer Italy, Austria and Germany, and we have had good reception in all these countries but can not always get BBC and ITV but we are happy with Sky. Have used the free Free serve box we got and can get reception with this.

You do need a Sat finder and do secure the antenna down as soon as you put it up. We had ours blow over and break the LMB before we could secure it.

Going to Hungary, Slovakia, Poland and Czech Republic after

Germany, Austria and Italy next month for 3 months so will see how we get on in these new countries to us.

Nov 20, 2007
Visit site
When we arrived in Girona last summer I discovered that I had forgotten the satellite bracket!! after visiting several local shops I was unable to find anything that would fit so I bought a new dish and bracket. Only cost 65Euro, worked fine and is now sat in the garage gathering dust!!

Aug 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi Dianne

Thanks for the info. I am going to look at the sites you said.

Sounds as though you have done a fair bit of caravanning. Do you have a 'van or motorhome? It's our first trip abroad with the caravan and we are amazed at how many big motorhomes there are.Wonder which is best, obvious fors and againsts. Meantime loving it here, off further South in a couple of days.

Cheers

Carole

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Hi Dianne

Thanks for the info. I am going to look at the sites you said.

Sounds as though you have done a fair bit of caravanning. Do you have a 'van or motorhome? It's our first trip abroad with the caravan and we are amazed at how many big motorhomes there are.Wonder which is best, obvious fors and againsts. Meantime loving it here, off further South in a couple of days.

Cheers

Carole
Hi Carole

We have a caravan, Elddis Crusader Storm which we bought last year after visiting Europe for 2 months every year since 2004 with Coachman Amara 520 4. We enjoyed the fixed bed and extra space last year. This year will be our 5th European tour and have decided to make it 3 months. We have met some lovely people while abroad and have made friends with a German couple we now meet up with every year and this year we are meeting up with two Brit couples, one we met in 2005 and the other 2007, in Austria to travel together to Vienna, thro Hungary to Slovakia, Poland and Czech Rep. before travelling back to the UK with one of the couples. We have also made friends with quite a few site owners in Germany and Austria and Italy. Great fun.

How much longer are you out there for?

Have a wonderful time.

Dianne

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Did not find this web site near as good as wwwsatelliteforcaravans.co.uk as I mentioned last night. You can find all about sizes of antena's you need for Spain and settings too.

You could really not do any better, than as I mentioned last night, ask various caravanners on your site what they use and what reception and settings they have.

We are not experts on Spain as we have only been once, prefer Italy, Austria and Germany, and we have had good reception in all these countries but can not always get BBC and ITV but we are happy with Sky. Have used the free Free serve box we got and can get reception with this.

You do need a Sat finder and do secure the antenna down as soon as you put it up. We had ours blow over and break the LMB before we could secure it.

Going to Hungary, Slovakia, Poland and Czech Republic after

Germany, Austria and Italy next month for 3 months so will see how we get on in these new countries to us.
Oops - sorry

Aug 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi Carole

We have a caravan, Elddis Crusader Storm which we bought last year after visiting Europe for 2 months every year since 2004 with Coachman Amara 520 4. We enjoyed the fixed bed and extra space last year. This year will be our 5th European tour and have decided to make it 3 months. We have met some lovely people while abroad and have made friends with a German couple we now meet up with every year and this year we are meeting up with two Brit couples, one we met in 2005 and the other 2007, in Austria to travel together to Vienna, thro Hungary to Slovakia, Poland and Czech Rep. before travelling back to the UK with one of the couples. We have also made friends with quite a few site owners in Germany and Austria and Italy. Great fun.

How much longer are you out there for?

Have a wonderful time.

Dianne
Hi Dianne

we are 2 weeks into a 3 month trip and loving it.....It was a huge headache I thought to set it all up but now we are here it seems worth it. Wouldn't be as much hassle I think next time.

Hubby got a Sat receiver today from the Leroy thing store near here. Thanks for that........

Cheers

Carole

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts