C C BOOKING

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
". As a couple who no longer work we never book weekends, only weeks, and don't even book weeks at the popular sites during school holidays "
Very well said Lord Breakwind.
This ,I think,is an unselfish attitude that gives those of us still working more of a chance to enjoy a weekend away.I am ready for the backlash from the "I will book whenever I feel like" brigade and I agree that everyone has the right to book in whenever they wish(if they can find a vacancy).
I just think that the Lord is being thoughtful and more people like him would make it easier for us workers to find a pitch.Also am I right in thinking that midweek breaks are more peaceful both on and off site?
OK ready for Mr Angry!

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have just booked my summer holidays and one of the campsites in Germany said he would need a deposit as I have purchased credits on my silver card all I had to do is give the card number then if I do not turn up they will just take the credits of my card for the value of time I had booked.
This to me would be a good way of doing things with the caravan club if I book a site and then dont turn up they take the money of my card end of.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
lol Theres plenty of them on here Roger.....................................
smiley-innocent.gif
Take cover.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
So Roger B, what would you suggest for people like me who want to tour and spend more than 5 days in one spot. Do you honestly expect me to pick up sticks and move to a commercial site to make way for people who only want to book Friday & Saturday nights?

Steve W

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I'm not too sure if RogerB misunderstood my comment of " we never book weekends, only weeks, and don't even book weeks at the popular sites during school holidays".

If he did misunderstand me then maybe I should have said "only complete weeks". There is no way that I would do as SteveW mentioned and that is upsticks on the Friday morning, go home and then either go back or elsewhere on the Sunday. My pension and the cost of fuel wouldn't allow me to do that even if I wanted to.
My other comment of "even book weeks at the popular sites during school holidays" stands, not because we don't like kids but because as I said, let those who work and have time off with their kids use them sites. What does needle me though, and did so when my kids were young, is the price hike for these sites during school holidays. OK, private individuals can get away with it but as clubs it's wrong to rip the members off.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
If the CC did take non refundable deposits the cost of employing more administrative staff would out weigh any real benefit. Costs of pitches would probably go up and the staff would be embroiled in arguement with members who wanted their deposits returned for whatever the reason.
Taking Chatsworth as an example I fail to see one good reason why so many people want to have a weekend there? The walking isn't everything and you can only visit the House so many times before getting bored.
smiley-wink.gif

There are equally good sites in the area Grinlow at Buxton for example. Brilliant dog walking, peaceful and the usual CC facilities.
Go to the likes of Chatsworth and queue for the showers and observe how the toilet seats never get cold.
smiley-laughing.gif

Thanks to all those who participate in the annual bun fight for those long weekends at Chatsworth etc I discovered private sites and CLs which opened a whole new horizon. And the costs in most cases are less with decent facilities.
So why do I remain a member of the CC?
Their insurance, Mayday breakdown, magazine, access to CLs and some very decent sites outside the Chatsworths and Rowntree Parks.
smiley-cool.gif

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Dustydog said:
So why do I remain a member of the CC?
Their insurance, Mayday breakdown, magazine, access to CLs and some very decent sites outside the Chatsworths and Rowntree Parks.
smiley-cool.gif
Spot on there DD the savings on insurance alone pay the membership fees and the mayday recovery is second to none AS I found out last year. giving up ones membership just because it is not possible to book a w/end at some popular sites is a no brainer.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
I'll third that DD, spot on. Regarding your comment about deposits we have booked 3 CLs in the high season this year. Not only because they are cheaper but because it allows others with kids to use the more popular sites. Surprisingly none of the CLs wanted a deposit although they did ask to be notified if we couldn't make it. All of them when asked why they didn't want a deposit responded the same, it isn't worth the hassle.
We did go to Chatsworth at the end of September last year to see what people rave about. I totally concur with your comment regarding this site and yes, it was chockablock then. I didn't get to test the warmth of the bog seats though because we use our own
smiley-laughing.gif

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
we have booked to go away at Easter somewhere near Cromer west runton? or something.We had to pay in full for 5 nights.
We went to somewhere near Stratford on Avon a few years back, again paid up front in full. same at Shrewsbury paid up front in full.
I do find it hard to understand why the CC doesn't even take a deposit in this day and age of computers.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Spot on there DD the savings on insurance alone pay the membership fees and the mayday recovery is second to none AS I found out last year. giving up ones membership just because it is not possible to book a w/end at some popular sites is a no brainer

Exactly the same could be said about the Caravan & Camping Club. In fact their quote for insurance was a fair bit cheaper than the Caravan Club. To be honest the only thing I would miss would be the Europe 1 & 2 books, but even those can be purchased by non members at an increased price.

Steve W

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
"If the CC did take non refundable deposits the cost of employing more administrative staff would out weigh any real benefit. Costs of pitches would probably go up and the staff would be embroiled in arguement with members who wanted their deposits returned for whatever the reason."

Thats made me smile Dusty, wish the same could be said of the company that I work for, its normally a case of personnel retiring/leaving and there duties being shared by the rest of the work force with no extra remuneration, I know that my responsibilities / duties, have increased ten fold over the last few years, roll on retirement
smiley-wink.gif
not long now....................................or they could use some of the unpaid staff to take on the extra work.

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I d'ont think it would cause anymore administration costs to introduce a five pound per night deposit system with the understanding of no show no refund clause to stop the current silly system lets get real here as my previous post shows. I wonder how many last minute cancellations will Brown Moor have for Easter 2011.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Barry the Wing said:
I d'ont think it would cause anymore administration costs to introduce a five pound per night deposit system with the understanding of no show no refund clause to stop the current silly system lets get real here as my previous post shows. I wonder how many last minute cancellations will Brown Moor have for Easter 2011.

Barry

All that £5 a night deposit would do is make it more difficult for families to book a 2 week holiday as they would have to pay £70 upfront. It would do nothing to stop weekenders canceling their bookings as they would only lose £10 for a two night stay. Also what taking a deposit would do is to slow down the booking process as each card transaction would need to be authorised. Perhaps no problem throughout the year but imagine what it would do on the day bookings open. Whatever people say about deposits there is no evidence that the majority of Club members want them. If that remains the case the Club is unlikely to reintroduce them.

David

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
David Klyne said:
Barry the Wing said:
Well I am afraid David the problems will continue and lets face it you would have to pay a deposit if booking another holiday or a commercial site as I said we all need to get real here and be fair to everyone
Barry

All that £5 a night deposit would do is make it more difficult for families to book a 2 week holiday as they would have to pay £70 upfront. It would do nothing to stop weekenders canceling their bookings as they would only lose £10 for a two night stay. Also what taking a deposit would do is to slow down the booking process as each card transaction would need to be authorised. Perhaps no problem throughout the year but imagine what it would do on the day bookings open. Whatever people say about deposits there is no evidence that the majority of Club members want them. If that remains the case the Club is unlikely to reintroduce them.

David

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Barry
Its a Club not Thomas Cook or Haven! Sorry if I am repeating myself but when asked about the booking system only 1200 members responded out of what 300000 members so for most it must be a non issue. The Club already monitor 'no shows' and they have said this year that they will also monitor those that cancel more than is reasonable. They have also asked that unwanted bookings are cancelled at least 72 hours ahead. The real problem is that there are too many members chasing too few pitches at peak times. Also members are often not very flexible in where they are willing to go. They get in their mind that they want to go to Chatsworth or York and when they can't get in they make a judgement of the whole system based on that. If you, and other contributors here, really feel so strongly about the situation you must write to the Club and express your views but you must also be willing to accept any decision based on what the majority of members want.

David

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
members are often not very flexible in where they are willing to go.

I'm sorry David, but are you suggesting that as a club member I should be prepared to go to a site I don't want to go to, just to help ease the booking problems.
That's like looking for something in the dark with a torch without a bulb, because you don't really want to find it.

Steve w

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
steve w77 said:

I'm sorry David, but are you suggesting that as a club member I should be prepared to go to a site I don't want to go to, just to help ease the booking problems.
That's like looking for something in the dark with a torch without a bulb, because you don't really want to find it.

Steve w
Sorry Steve but looking at the big picture David is right.
The bulk of this debate when fully analysed , as usual. revolves mainly around three CC sites, Rowntree Park. Hillhead and Chatsworth. There are some 200 CC sites so I know there are plenty more in the same area never mind a number of CLs and private sites.
I've stayed on busy sites and now avoid them like the plague. It's a bit like asking your car to run at maximum RPM all day. Not for me.
It's also noteworthy that I have never been unable to book a long stay other than the three mentioned above.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
Dustydog said:
steve w77 said:
Sorry Steve but looking at the big picture David is right.
The bulk of this debate when fully analysed , as usual. revolves mainly around three CC sites, Rowntree Park. Hillhead and Chatsworth. There are some 200 CC sites so I know there are plenty more in the same area never mind a number of CLs and private sites.It's also noteworthy that I have never been unable to book a long stay other than the three mentioned above.

Steve I read Davids post the same as DD.
No, he isn't expecting you to find a field but is saying that everyone and their dogs cannot stay at Chatsworth, Rowntree or Hillhead during the peak season. It's an impossibility but some don't seem to understand that. Also like DD I wouldn't call it a holiday if I had to suffer those sites at those times. Perish the thought
smiley-yell.gif

There are lots of nice sites out there and I've yet to fail in finding a pitch for my chosen times. Needless to say if I had tried the above sites at the time mentioned I couldn't say that anymore. In using our own facilities we aren't confined to the all singing/dancing sites either. In June last year at Englethwaite Hall we pitched in our favourite area of the site. Out of 12 pitches there was just us and an unoccupied seasonal. Sheer bliss but later on a few other outfits arrived and luckily they were all nice people and we had a laugh. ( Jack, if you're reading this did you accept the invitation and go and visit that nice lady at the Moffat C&CC site)
smiley-smile.gif

I've been to Chatsworth and Clumber once each, both out of season, but have never nor intend to go to Hillhead in or out of season.
It is correct what David says, those that come wailing about the deposits and CC booking system usually want to book those sites mentioned but somehow cannot understand the reason why they can't and as for booking weekends at those sites in July/August forget it.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
steve w77 said:

Steve w

Steve
I am not suggesting anyone goes to a site they don't want but if people persist in only wanting the visit the over popular sites they will always be at risk of disappointment. Even if hefty deposits were in place some sites in the network would still be over subscribed. If when deciding where to go, for say a weekend, members had a range of destinations that would suit they would be more likely to avoid that disappointment.
David

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
hi all
I am with LB on this one, busy sites are too much hassle
When one of you is disabled it is even more unconfortable we hardly ever use club sites and the big ones never for this very reason,

And the price WOW family of 4 during school hols £34 per night or £238 a week thats near on one month on a CL or small commercial site. Ok I can see the attraction of just doing 2nights over a w/end at £68 and probably the reason they booked up solid one year in advance but there is the rub if all the w/ends get booked leaving midweeks empty that is going to cause problems for others wanting to stay over 7 nights and is poor business practice.
No matter which way you look at it the booking system of the CC is a mess and needs a radical shake up it may be a club for the benifit of its members but surely that means all members not just the ones that go from friday to sunday

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
It's not a question of only wanting to book the popular sites, but I have been a CC member on and off for 10 yrs and in all that time I have never been able to book a 10 day stay at Rowntree Park. I put this down purely to the fact that every weekend on this site is booked as soon as the booking fiasco starts. I Know I can use other club sites and I do, but that still does not make this system of allocating bookings right or fair.

Steve W

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
steve w77 said:
It's not a question of only wanting to book the popular sites, but I have been a CC member on and off for 10 yrs and in all that time I have never been able to book a 10 day stay at Rowntree Park. I put this down purely to the fact that every weekend on this site is booked as soon as the booking fiasco starts. I Know I can use other club sites and I do, but that still does not make this system of allocating bookings right or fair.

Steve W
Steve
Fair or not why do you want to stay on an overused, overated, Rowntree Park?
smiley-undecided.gif

I'd say you have been very lucky to miss it!
smiley-cool.gif

So it's near to York but so are dozens of excellent , cheaper , less overworked sites.
Forget the ridiculous bun fight in december and thank your lucky stars you have missed out because a cho o bloc site is not somewhere I'd want to be.

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
"No matter which way you look at it the booking system of the CC is a mess and needs a radical shake up it may be a club for the benifit of its members but surely that means all members not just the ones that go from friday to sunday"

That is exactly why the booking system needs to be opened on weekend and not on a working day which immediatley eliminates a vast number of members of having even a remote chance of booking on of the popular sites at a popular time.

I tried to get in to Hawthorns for Easter as its not too far from me and i like the area, but being at work all day precluded me from having a chance. I tried in the evening and every pitch was booked up.
However tthere was a silver lining which meant that i did track down a very nice CL not far away, with direct access to the beach,showers,laundry and ehu and £11 per night, so it did me a favour on this ocassion.(Shamrock Nurseries -Oldgarth Cottages).

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
You may well consider Rowntree Park to be over rated, I would not know, as I have never been able to stay there, that's the whole point.

As a member, am I just to take everones word that I would find it over crowded & over rated or should I at least be able once in 10 years to find out for myself.

Steve W.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
steve w77 said:
You may well consider Rowntree Park to be over rated, I would not know, as I have never been able to stay there, that's the whole point.

As a member, am I just to take everones word that I would find it over crowded & over rated or should I at least be able once in 10 years to find out for myself.

Steve W.

Steve
I agree you have no need to take our word here. Even if you get onto Rowntree Park do you want to be surrounded by so many caravans you find the whole infrastructure is working at maximum capacity?
smiley-undecided.gif

I'm really pleased you too have discovered excellent CLs . That's what I did years ago when I refused to be part of the december bun fight.
Apart from two absolutely awful sites , one near Saltcoats, one near Loch Sween, I've never been on an overcrowded overated site that disappointed us.
Whilst I am a long term member I will say there is life outside of the CC sites.
If you still want to go to Rowntree Park you have my best wishes and I promise , publicly, I wont say "told you so"
smiley-cool.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts